The national debt and the decline of American manufacturing mean preppers must prepare...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Aug 29, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

The US is 74% christian yet this group of bible thumpers thinks the nation is on the verge of collapse? the nation in which they are the overwhelming majority. maybe they are the cause of everything wrong?

What actually come across from of the article is that they are all racist and are hiding from black people.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Yeah, they do sound like a bunch of right-wing nuts. However, I'm reading a non-fiction book called "Lights Out" (by Ted Koppel, no less) and it's quite sobering.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

All countries fall eventually although I think ours may have a few more years left :) .

5. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Sure, things can look dire. I don't have a lot of faith in the long term. We face an ever growing population with an ever shrinking pool of resources and potential large scale environmental disasters. However what looks like ever increasing political and social tensions across the world that play out in ever more violent ways is really just humans doing the same dumb and destructive crap they've always done. it's just being sold to us in the US in different ways because it turns out it's good (in the short term at least) for the economy. Wartime economies have always made people rich but more recently we've become real good at selling the possibility of war.

the thing with the prepper folks in that article is that they are just so boring with their cries of Obama, my guns, immigrants, regulations... Governments are always oppressive and overbearing but we sure as heck can't be left to run ourselves. someone has to be in charge. Now I say this a fan of small government (but not the fake one the Republicans keep pretending they stand for), as the writers of our constitution figured out (and we have largely forgotten) better a complicated and inefficient government that can't screw up or destroy too much too fast than something that has total control even if it seems like it might be more effective (ex. kings, religious states...).

I do hope for someday a real change from the direction have been on but I'll take drinkable water and breathable air and a helping hand when I fall down or even screw up over an AR-15 (but I'll also take an AR-15 if you are offering me one).

6. 1458279 Suspended

It's a longer read, why do you think it's people hiding from black people? Are you saying black people don't prep? Sounds pretty racist if you think all black people think the same way.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    The scary part of that book was that we only have a few days worth of most anything. This is how our government plans things, they don't.

It goes far past the national debt. The people in Chicago owe more on a per capita bases than national debt. Pensions aren't funded, it's just one big mess and can't continue.

https://www.amazon.com/Scandal-Money-Street-Recovers-Economy/dp/1621575756

The government hasn't fixed anything and it's not going to. The presentation from the book above was on cspan and it gets into why Obama wasn't able to get shovel ready jobs. Too many laws, we've killed our system.

I know some don't see the problems. Few saw a problem with fannie and freddie and the housing market. Some just can't see it.

There's no mathematical way to save things. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-01/were-trouble-alan-greenspan-delivers-stark-warning
    Entitlements are growing at 9% and it's replacing growth dollars in the money supply.

Show me the math that makes it work? The government doesn't have a plan.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    The turnaround of Israel was amazing, it happened because of reducing the size of government. It doesn't have to be huge. Germany did it back in the 30's. We simply can't afford this government. It doesn't serve the people.

Real change someday won't happen under the system we have, there's no way for someone to get into power because it's all rigged. Look at what they did to Bernie and look at what's going on with Trump. Who do you think would ever get in from the outside and change anything?

7. thermodynamic, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

But who is saying only black people are the cause (not a symptom)? I don't recall the OP pointing a sole finger at the time... or any finger, for that matter. Just stuff about preparation for a theoretical situation.

Also, 74% may be the majority but 74% of my dinnerware isn't doing anything at any given time, either.

Besides, where in the Bible does it say to stock up on items and ammunition to kill one's neighbors with? Maybe somewhere colloquially as a prerequisite for Jesus' return, maybe? Or maybe not?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    Entitlements - most of us know how much more is spent on corporate welfare than on anything else, and some programs called "entitlements" are those we pay for so to us it is not an entitlement but our own money coming back.

Yeah, Germany also brought in Hitler - and, no, that is not a dig at any of the currently running candidates.

Obama compromised so much that people gave up believing in him, despite doing their part as he suggested.

After decades of deregulation and some people have the nerve to claim "too many laws"? Um, it's not 1950 nor 1980 anymore, let's wake up and drink our coffee.
    Is that why REX84 was put in by "deregulation king, cut taxes for the rich and let it trickle down to compensate for the 11 tax and 18 debt ceiling hikes I gave the rest of the working class" Reagan? Or Bush's NSPD51?

8. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Some preppers are certifiable lunatics, others are smart, good people simply being prepared for emergency. Food and supplies storage is wise. Google Images: “Prepper Food Storage.” Compare to yours, if you have any. Those preppers definitely have an advantage if emergency strikes.

9. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Americans sure are a frightful bunch. What ever happened to "home of the brave"?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When our biggest industry and proportion of our discretionary budget goes to the military and it's corresponding industrial complex you better make sure your population is always in constant fear.....

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Are you saying that a Christian majority is responsible for every issue?

12. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Yeh but there has to some feeling of personal shame at the fact you are afraid of your own shaddows no?

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

When the Cascadia fault finally gives way we'll see who is brave and who isn't brave.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm ashamed of people that are, but I'm personally not worried about the boogeymen that we're told to be day in and day out. I'm more afraid of what our collective fear allows our country to do around the world.....

15. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Guaranteed

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Merely a line in a ****** song.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I generally have a pessimistic view of people and our prospects. However, let us suppose that some catastrophe creates a situation in which there is such a long term breakdown in civilisation that bunkers are necessary. I'm not sure I'd want to be around, or that I want to go out fighting rather than helping. I just saw a very disturbing film called The Survivalist and frankly it doesn't motivate me to aspire to be a prepper....

For short term disaster I do keep a few basic necessities around, but then again I use them for camping and hiking so it's not a big deal.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy if you really want a disturbing account of total societal collapse.

Edit: the movie was total ****.

19. thats all folks, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I'm sorry, did I miss the part of the article with interviews of black people? or are your comments simply speculation, bait?

Germany's rise at that time was fueled by extreme nationalism and exceptionalism. it didn't end well.

the system has always been rigged. corruption, voter fraud, vote buying, pay to play has been there all along. Regarding ideas like Trump and his coded "Make America Great Again", there never was an overtly 'better time'. there are degrees of variation but if we look back to the mythical early 50s to mid 60s what you see is an economic boom created not by small government but but unprecedented government intervention and spending through efforts such as the New Deal and building the machinery that was used to fight WWII. I'm not going to here write a history of 1929 to 1946 but it was universally the worst and deadliest times faced in modern history and even though the US suffered a much lower casualty rate than most other involved nations, it still had a real impact here. the perverse upside is that death and destruction does create tremendous economic growth both from wealth transfer from the now dead to the remaining living as well as through the rebuilding effort.

Also, unlike now, through the war years, Americans were earning money, either in factories at home or by being employed in the war. they were earning but not spending as the bulk of our economic output was being used in support of the war. Come the late 40s all that money was still there and so people went to town buying cars and houses and TVs... Consumerism was reborn in ways never before seen. It looked like a golden age, but it was mostly gold colored paint covering up all the blood.

So, if we want to recreate that period, we just need a globally catastrophic, multi-year war that happens mostly in countries that were not the US.

Yes, governments hold a big share of the blame in creating the Great Depression and the two World Wars. And they continue to share in the blame for the economic and political travesties we have experienced since then. People are dumb, self interested and short sighed so unfortunately we still need governments.

And, if history is to be our guide, governments only get bigger and more oppressive. So if you want revolution here we do need to tear it down and start over. so just like what happened across most of Europe and in Japan after WWII, we need to bring the war here.

Ugh. I don't want to come across so negative. maybe as the current crop of old white men die off we can bring in some new ideas. but don't forget the current crop of privileged white rich kids getting law degrees from Princeton, Harvard, Yale... are all being taught that they are the only hope for the future and that part of building that future is that they get ever richer.

If you want a perspective of how much things are the same as they ever were, read Doonesbury comics from the Nixon era. I read them during Bush junior's reign and they read as absolutely contemporary.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This time of year I always start looking through my pantry to update for winter. The supermarkets are a town or county thrill ride plus a state road away, why would I not stock up before snow flies?! No way I'm driving 20, 30 miles RT for one of anything. We lose power sometimes so water, batt lanterns etc are also on my list.

I "shop" out of pantry storage all winter, and mostly just re-stock some perishables when an appointment sends me to a town. In spring I sort canned goods with only one year left on expiry and give it to the food bank. The newer stuff stays in my cupboards and I don't have to wonder if it's still any good.

Think I originally got some list like the one the CDC has now, because it had specific suggestions for stuff I didn't think about, and some I thought yeah well no... anyway used their ideas as a template and tailored it over the years.

As far as invasions from Mars or the second coming of the militia from over the hill, I'm willing to share but I always include some little pacifiers for me like tea biscuits and dark chocolate. The invaders can have the entire pantry short of that stuff on doomsday. Me and cookie monster, we'll be in the other room trashing the treasure box. Heh, that stuff is always gone by spring.

I can see it being pretty difficult to keep a pantry stocked if you have a big family. I remember an aunt saying once that no matter what she did she could not stay ahead of disappearing snacks and spare peanut butter.

For all the laughing a lot of people do about prepping, it's good to least keep a few gallons of drinking water in your house, per person. Water is life in an unexpected situation where "the store" is not an option for awhile.

21. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Only Atlanta is "home of the Braves", that anthem gets taken out of context[​IMG]

22. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I'll say that blind faith in any rigid ideology leads to stagnation, oppression, closed-mindedness, hatred and fear. Take PETA as an example if you think I'm singling out christianity.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL slightly drifting here but can't resist. Ran into some iTunes or Amazon review of a movie once (must have been a high school kid) that went approximately "This was pretty good. We had to read the book later but it didn't follow the movie good at all, had stuff in it never even happened in the movie."
    I stuck a like on your post not because I really want that AR but I do really like the spirit of your post! As the rabbits were trying to get into my garden again this morning, even the AR seems.. well, a brief fantasy.

In actuality should we fall into some dystopian future, I'm not up for trying to be the last one standing.

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

It's more profitable to market FUD?

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am in CA and I am armed, I can take what I want from the liberals who are unarmed :D
    long gone, today's morons want safe spaces from words.
    movie was ok.