The naysayers of 4s are NOT in the minority

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplesAndOrangs, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No doubt they are disappointed. They will still get it though if they are allowed to upgrade. Why not? It is slightly improved.

Not worth paying a early upgrade price or a ETC though.

When the 3G and 3GS were just minor bumps people didn't care because the iPhone was still the best. But now new Smartphones that are just as good come out every week it seems.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've seen this level of disappointment before. Right after the iPhone 4 launch... and the iPad 2... and the iPhone 3GS...

Don't believe me? Do a search of the forum threads around those dates. It happens every time. And it's only because the rumor mill hypes up totally unsubstantiated things about what's next. Things that people are merely guessing about become "unconfirmed reports" become "an anonymous source said" become "direct from an Apple employee" when absolutely nothing beyond the original speculation actually occurred.

The bottom line is, we will only know exactly how disappointed people are when the sales numbers come out. If people buy it, then they clearly aren't disappointed enough. And I'm betting they certainly aren't.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm hearing disappointment on radio talk shows this morning too.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've seen it on Google news too. And it's all about cosmetics, and the fact that there's a "4S" attached to the name instead of "5." Really?

It's entirely about aesthetics, and I think it's hilarious because in the past the argument has always been that all of these clunky, unattractive Android phones are all iPhone killers because they beat the iPhone not on looks, but specs. And now, when Apple focuses on specs instead of looks, they get slammed for it.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I'm sure they will be no line like how the 3GS was on the first day. Sales will pick up little by little in weeks and months. I don't think it will be something like for the iPad 1/2. When the first 3GS came out I just walked right in and after 10min I had it.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Just because they buy it doesn't mean they aren't disappointed. Trust me, the level of disappointment is much stronger than any other iOS year.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'm disappointed, and yet I'll still likely get it. I might even pre-order, and my reaction after the event was "no way I'll pre-order."

Why? Well, my wife's contract and my contract upgrade eligibility will be staggered if I get this. She has no desire to upgrade her 3Gs, but we could sell her 3Gs, she'd get my 4 and I could get the 4s for essentially between $0 and $25. $50 at most. That's worthwhile. She has no desire to go Android. AT ALL. Which means if I used my upgrade on say, the Nexus Prime or SGSII, I'd be locked into that phone for two years, while if I get the 4s, I can upgrade immediately when the next one comes out. (I'm upgrade eligible now, my wife in December, but she won't use it if she has the 4....we can keep on shuffling devices down....older one to her, new one to me).

The other thing is, while the beautiful larger screens and some of the capabilities of the newer Android phones look truly awesome, I don't think I'd be happy with the tradeoff. Sure, I'd like the better hardware, but I have never liked Android when I've used it...there's just small things that bug the crap out of me, and I use my phone quite a bit for gaming, and the selection of games is just nowhere near the same on Android. Also, with AirPlay mirroring, I might be able to use my iPhone as a console, provided the lag is low enough to make it comfortable.

The final thing is...Siri looks incredible. While it sucks that Apple is essentially forcing an upgrade for this feature, I think their strategy might work with me. Since I've seen the demo, there have already been three or four times I wished I had that capability, with its natural language simplicity on my phone already.

The ability to just say "let me sleep in an extra 10 minutes" would have been so nice this morning. From hands on early previews, people are saying it works every bit as good in real life with different people as it did on stage at the keynote. That's awesome.

So, yes, disappointed, but still likely to be mine.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm going to line up about 7 hours before opening just because I want to guarantee myself a device since my brother got screwed last year by preordering and his shipping time slipped by a week even though he got it in the minute preorders began.

11. Bijiont macrumors newbie

Honestly I don't see how this couldn't be seen anything other than a complete let down.

Maybe it's just me but does the hardware changes really justify $200~$400 when compared to the iPhone4? Personally no, nor will it ever in my mind.

I can see the iPhone 4S as being a great upgrade for the 3GS holders who held out and skipped iPhone 4 but other than that iPhone 4S is just a waste of money.

Just my opinion on the topic. Everyone will have their own situation which makes sense.

12. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

13. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

let me get this straight....your saying its not the minority that are disappointed...and 70% is the number on the poll.

its 70% of geeks on forums...

THOSE ARE THE MINORITY lol

so you answered your own question....

70% of the minority dislike the device...and 30% dont.

100% of people outside the forums will make a conscious decision based on what they need/like....not specs.

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Everyone I know, including myself, who pre-ordered the iPhone 4 online last year, got it and activated it the day before it was available in stores. So, I'll doing that again for sure.

15. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Those people are disappointed in themselves for acting a fool.

16. ApplesAndOrangs thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I'm saying the naysayers are the majority.

Well that's debatable. I don't know if all of 9to5mac readers are geeks or non, no way to prove that.

17. Bijiont macrumors newbie

Specs play a large role in what a end user will need. Even a non-geek should be looking at these figures to at the very least understand them to make an informed decision.

Not looking at the specs or other details just leads to foolish purchases.

I don't know the most about lumber for example but before I go out and spend $100 on it I am going to do some reading.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Really it should have been; Let's talk, iPhone.

19. kashik macrumors regular

I'm disappointed as I would like to try iOS 5 early on here. But the new phone doesn't do it for me. I never liked the look/feel of the 4 that much, so I was really hoping for a case change. I will watch for the release of the Prime and see if it's any better.

I'm disappointed, but lets not kid ourselves... iOS isn't the end-all be-all of OS'. The competition has improved greatly, and it makes switching a lot less of a hassle then many might make it out to be.

I think there will be a far larger number of iOS users this release that will consider switching to Android. You don't need a survey to tell you that.

20. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The easy way to tell if they are geeks is that they are on that website.

Does your grand ma read that site?

21. tann macrumors 68000

People are concentrating too much on the design. At least that's what a lot of people are pissed about. Sure, there are also many (including me) who would have liked to see a bigger screen (even if it's just a bit bigger). But think about it, if you have an iPhone 3GS or before then it's a phenomenal upgrade. It's going to be an absolutely beast phone. the IP4 was ridiculously fast for most people and this is double that (roughly)!

Couple that with the very nice looking camera, iOS 5 and iCloud and it's quite frankly brilliant. The reason I said for 3GS users of before is because many IP4 users won't see the need to upgrade their phone to something that looks the same. Plus they already get most iOS 5 features and iCloud on their phones already.

64GBs is also a very nice addition :).

22. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Other than the screen size and the model number what's there to be disappointed about?

Had Apple called it iPhone 5 would there have been as much consternation?

Have public expectations become unreasonable and what role has the media played in boosting these expectations?

Personally I find anything bigger than 3.5" unreasonable to use in one hand or carry in a shirt pocket. At what point do manufacturers say well that's just to big for a mobile smart phone...? 4"? 4.3"?? 5"??? I recall not so long ago when the HTC HD2 launched and its size was considered vulgar and impractical...

Is this really what people want??

[​IMG]

23. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

After mulling over the updates and changes I do think that sales will be effected by what was released yesterday. however this is to the most part not due to software and hardware, but packaging.

And this is what has been really strange for the past 2 keynotes .....
    The summer affair was "hey we have ******* all new ... but look what we are planning" .... and this keynote was "Hey we have lots of cool new stuff but packaged and delivered it in a way that makes us look as compitent as steve balmer eating soup.

Fact is, had apple got their s*** together and simply called the latest phone the iPhone 5 and changed the shell, it would have sold allot more phones IMHO (regardless of ANY hardware changes inside) but essentially what they have done is to take a very good product and wrap it up in cheap out of date looking wrapping paper.

And what makes this so surprising is that previously Apple have been a market leader in packaging to such an extent that they have been imitated greater than any other tech product out there.

I personally will recommend the iPhone 4s to friends if they ask ....
    But I can understand that it appears to be the budget phone, of the iPhone 5 which never came .....

I wonder if we will see Apple offering other colors of the 4S later this year if sales flop as a tie over until they can release a new packaged fandangle.

24. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Well after installing the GM ios5 last evening...I see no need to buy a new phone. Unlike the 3gs days the new software actually made my phone smoother not slow and cumbering. As for the whole siri thing...not one care given. I also have no need for an 8 mega pixel camera....I have aDSLR for that.

25. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I don't understand those who say it's a slight improvement.

The A5 is a huge step up, ability and graphics wise, from the A4. Although, the main problem will be that the iPhone 4 feels great on iOS 5, a lot of the animations have been smoothed out and it feels far more fluid.