Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What new 'Top Gear' show will you prefer?

• BBC1 with Chris Evans

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Amazon with JC, RH & JM

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
hi all,

I'm not talking about the one with Chris Evans.

I'm talking about the one with with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May on Amazon.

I'm a little bit shocked as I heard so many rumours about it being Netflix, Sky or ITV. Then all of a sudden Amazon come in and win the contract wth a new series.

How do you all feel about this?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I think the BBC will reinvent the show and we'll be looking back at the old Top Gear seeing it as tired and long overdue a revamp.

The Amazon show will clutch onto the old style and, although it'll have double the budget, it'll look tired and have disappointing ratings.

Reactions: hwojtek

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
@maflynn can you help us out?

Back on topic, I think the new show with a new layout and a higher budget will work out great for CMH. Also, the global exposure will be great and will probably even further globalize the show.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I think it would will be great as you say including there budget. I can see this also being there's last work they do if that's makes sense.

Do this for 5-7 years then call it a day.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Is that better?

I think it was time for a change. Certain bits of the last series were quite entertaining but a lot of it was predictable and following the same old tired formula so it will be interesting to see what direction the new Top Gear takes.
Thanks for changing it.

Yeah maybe it's time they had a new fresh approach.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Good news!

I was expecting Netflix. Amazon came out of nowhere. The $100 a year I spend on Prime just got even more worth it.

I was the same as mentioned above, I literally had no idea about Amazon until my Twitter feed went crazy with the news.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Can I try both and then make up my mind? I think there is room in my life for 3 shows.
New Top Gear
Clarkson and co on Amazon
Old top Gear (which is on Dave 24-7 anyway!)

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Can I try both and then make up my mind? I think there is room in my life for 3 shows.
New Top Gear
Clarkson and co on Amazon
Old top Gear (which is on Dave 24-7 anyway!)
I'll let you have two

One of them being Dave.

Then you can have a week trial with the other two and decide haha.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The BBC one because I'm not going to buy Amazon Prime just to watch it. I'd watch it on Netflix and I'm not buying another service. Guess there's always torrents! Heh. Wonder if Amazon's Top Gear will continued to be the most torrented show?

FierceCorgi

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
I've been thinking that the new project might be more focused around their "road trip"-styled shows, since they won't have access to the old hangar, test track, the Stig, the "reasonably-priced car", etc. Instead of having a studio-based show, just have them be out at a different region for each episode.

Having said that, I don't think we've reached "peak motoring show" yet - there's room for both shows in my schedule.

FierceCorgi

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
They've visited various famous tracks over the years, I think they can find places to test out cars if that's what they want to do. :)

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
I just find it quite funny that of all people an American was the highest bidder and winner. I wonder how much is the Hammster mocking Jeremy at the moment since Hammond is more Americanized according to James and Jeremy and gave him hell on TG for it.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I just find it quite funny that of all people an American was the highest bidder and winner.

actually it is not surprising.... as far as i read they had a 2 year clause in their old contract that prevents them from making another motoring show on an "other TV broadcaster available in the UK" so going to a streaming service was an ovious choice.

i also though netflix wins simply because of the huge availability but i think amazon knew that if netflix would get the show hey would have a huge advantage in the streaming market. Because of that amazon open their coffers big time.
Top gear with them was literally watched around the globe with incredible pull even across very,very different markets so it's going to be a sure hit easy to re-sell with little risk.
Them dropping "star in a reasonable priced car" because of legal reasons actually even favours them because usually those were the weakest parts of the show.

The BBC continuing top gear with Chris Evans is much more risky. He is famous for his UK radio shows but completly unknown outside of the UK.
If i had a buck for every time i read "Chris Evans ? You mean Capt. America ?" over the last weeks on messaging boards in austria/germany i could sure go out for quite a fancy dinner with champagne.
Top gear without the 3 characters very likely will suffer in international ratings soon.

Other carshows in other countries can be quite hilarious and entertaining as well so competition is strong in international markets. ... Red Bull sponsored Servus TV in Austria for example produces a car show called "Speedgang" presented by David Coulthard which intercuts reports about certain exotic vehicles or garage engineers building outragous vehicles involve said speed gang competing in challenges against each other.
Except said speedgang this season didn't consist of some radio personalities but included Jean Alesi, Sebastien Loeb, Mark Webber, Timo Scheider(DTM champion), Heinz Kinigardner(austrian motorcross legend),Raimund Baumschlager(12times austrian ralley champion)
Seeing Jean Alesi doing 50 meter wheelies with a dune buggy in a desert or Sebastian Loeb trying to drive as far as possible with 2 wheels in an old Golf is what BBC Top Gear is up against

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Old Top Gear (Clarkson, Hammond and May 2002-2015) really changed from being a car show with some actual consumer advice to a car show with.. ehm.. the type of advice that is not about green cars as in eco-friendly, but actual green Lamborghinis - and still call it "green consumer advice".

I liked that change, although fun has always been part of Top Gear of course. Just the three guys you've known and loved for years doing whatever the writers can think of that is both entertaining and contains cars.

Amazone's Clarkson, Hammond and May: entertainment, fun, cars; like I've just described.
Top Gear on BBC with Chris Evans (2015-): going back to the Top Gear roots, hopefully not only consumer advice, but also with some fun in the mix. Just a bit more serious television (could be wrong not this, since we don't know the actual format yet)

Who knows, maybe the new Top Gear will eventually go the same way as the previous version did. The one thing I know for sure is that Clarkson, Hammond and May will continu to make fun and entertaining shows with the kind of humor they always use. Regular Top Gear with less restrictions. It's just what these three are meant to do.. I've always really enjoyed that, but I know others might want something new. Anyway, Amazone's show should become a succes.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I wish I could retract my vote. Found this confusing.

As much as I like Top Gear, I just view it as entertainment. I will certainly check out the Amazon show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.