iPad The new design means more than a finger print gimmick (5s owner here)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 23, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I own a 5S and trust me this new design is well better than a finger print sensor. It's a new colour, it's lighter so every day I can notice it when I'm out, I can buy new cases for it, it's got smaller bezels and it's got a sleeker design. I would notice this more than some daft home button.

Touch ID may come but it's the selling point of the 5S this year. If all ipad 6th generation offers is Touch ID plus 8mp camera and A8 next year people are going to feel underwhelmed. So for that reason I suggest skipping a generation when you buy ipad. I skipped ipad 4 so the camera FaceTime and updates to the processor are also good.

I think these leaks post Iphone 5S have disappointed people. It's either next years Ipad or just fake parts placed on the old Ipad. Before this people would have been delighted at what Apple announced yesterday.

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I wholeheartedly disagree with you and anyone else who calls Touch ID a gimmick. If that's a gimmick, then I don't know what a feature is anymore. Previously, you had to either have no Passcode lock, or you had to type in your passcode 100 times a day. Now, a one second fingerprint scan gets you into your phone. It's a dramatic improvement.

I do agree though that the lightness of the Air is a major feature though, and to be honest on an iPad I would choose it over Touch ID because my damn iPad 3 is just too heavy. Ever since they announced the super light iPhone 5 I've been waiting for the iPad to get the same treatment.

I also agree that leaks do ruin the experience for many. People disregard what should be surprise new features because we already knew about them in advance. Touch ID, for example, would have been infinitely more surprising without leaks and rumors. It comes with the territory of frequenting this site though :)

3. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    I am another iPhone 5s owner here, glad the new iPads skipped TouchID and focused on what really matters. Screen resolution, in the case of the mini, and lightness/thinness in the case of the Air, are the features that matter. Perhaps if TouchID allows for a multi-user iPad experience someday, then it may become an iPad feature, but for now I'm just glad Apple is focused on the critical aspects of tablet experience.

4. pasqualino macrumors member

agree that touch id is not a gimmick. as it is now, i find it incredibly convenient, and i'm sure it will get even better as apple finds new uses for it in software.

i can see why apple skipped touch id on ipad this time, but i welcome its introduction next year.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Im happy, too. :)
    The iPad Air is great. I think the design makes a huge difference.
    I also dislike touch id because i think its dangerous. :eek:

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I'm sorry but the 5S is NOT lighter than the 5, it does not have different bezels, and the design is NOT sleeker, it's the exact same save for a colored ring around the home button. Not sure what you are talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 5S, but you are acting like it's a new design when really other than touch ID only the software and internals have changed.

7. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I think the OP was referring to the iPad Air. The grammar wasn't spot on.

8. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I think you misunderstood the previous poster. He was describing the iPad Air being lighter, smaller bezels, etc. He did a poor job transitioning from talking about his 5s vs. the iPad Air, but that's what he was trying to do.

9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well, he specifically said "5S" and then immediately said it had a new color, lighter, design, bezel, etc. without ever mentioning anything at all about the iPad.

but it does make more sense if he was referring to the iPad.

10. crackbookpro, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Siri was a gimmick/marketing ploy... Touch ID is an absolute game changer. It's a piece of hardware that one day everyone in the world will want to utilize... just wait, or just ask.

It is such a game changer, that is why Apple will slowly roll this out to all devices(and, I mean slowly)... they are smart to play the market, and this is what Apple does best when it knows it has innovated & created a game changing feature/want.

Agree with you 100%. Wallet will go bye byes as well in due time.

The OP calling the Touch ID and the acquisition of a 350 million dollar company a "Gimmick"... absolutely wrong.

11. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Siri is no gimmick. It's what Apple has been working towards for decades. It's only just recently become possible. There was a video made back in the 80s or early 90s by Apple where they showed what they want the future to look like, and that future was a tablet computer with a personal assistant. Siri is an iterative step towards that ideal. Apple didn't just do Siri as a marketing ploy, it's the culmination (or will be) of their entire computing philosophy of people having relationships with their devices.

TouchID... while it may not be a gimmick, per se, it's hardly something Apple has been dreamt of for decades. It's on there mainly because of pressure by various law enforcement and prosecutors who don't want to deal with so many stolen iPhone cases. It's a PR move, essentially. It's a bad one, at that, poorly timed in the wake of PRISM revelations (regardless of the actual workings of the TouchID system). Now, maybe someday, it will allow for a multi-user environment. Maybe someday, it will be used with a sort of e-wallet system, based on the Bluetooth technologies Apple has invested in. But right now? It's just a PR move. It's an incompletely implemented technology. Now, this is typical of Apple to do. They rarely come out with a fully formed idea in the first iteration. But let's not act like TouchID is some sort of major innovation. Right now it does very little, and is only present currently, rather than a few generations from now, because of local governmental pressure. Apple was forced into doing part of something that wasn't ready yet. So right now, it really is just a gimmick.

And, for the record, using biometrics for anything financial-related is a Bad Idea. It may end up becoming that, and having many less-secure copycats. That may be inevitable. It's still a bad idea, because once somebody's stolen your biometrics, you can't ever change them.

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Buddy, Apple has been working on it for decades??? Not at all. They acquired Siri mostly through Nuance tech then did R&D on its own after that, just like Authentec... but, they bought Authentec entirely because they know how game changing this is. Like I said previously, Touch ID will be uuuuge... Siri was just a cool factor... pure gimmick for 90% of Apple customers. Some 10% will always be 'wowed'!!!

Hmmm, Apple has been working on Siri for decades eh? - http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/05/apple-siri-nuance/

Also, by the way, biometric scanning can do one thing other easy-access payments can't... and it's the stronghold behind NFC technology not taking off like analysts predicted...

Authorized Secure Payment.

Just wait, your wallet will go bye byes... The brick n' mortar store(s) syncing will need 18months maybe less maybe a little more. Online Touch ID payment will happen even quicker, and the adoption is taking place now with the pilot program per se they are doing since the release of the iPhone 5s.

Authentec acquisition was astronomically huge for Apple... just wait. Using Touch ID for payment will be a luxury then a want... then one day a need.

Just like the TV remote...