Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
It was such a poor decision. They're literally turning the macOS design into an iPadOS design, and here I was hoping that they would take the macOS icons and give that makeover to iPadOS, instead Apple did the opposite.

I have never liked the square block icon look. It looks like a brick being duplicated throughout the entire screen. Just visualize this when opening your launchpad, and seeing 5x7 grids of upscaled square icons.. Hideous. They didn't even match the icons with iOS, giving them an iOS6 look, with bad shadowing... but the finder/map/trash icon still has its free form. It doesn't make sense at all. Having the same shaped apps will just confuse us even more. At least, I get confused. It's easier to look for a particular app when your eyes goes after the shape of the icon, but now you have to look a little more since you'll see the same duplicated square icon throughout your screen...

And don't even get me started on the control center. It looks like the iOS 7 control center, when it was still unpolished, and had a very strong black outline around everything.

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
I liked the new design, I wished for some fluid animations like iOS and better window management, but whatever.

I am a bit pissed about the icons. Why didn't they go full iOS? I love the squares though. Why no dock on the TouchBar though? That would be a great addition (I know there are solutions but they are not perfect)

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
no matter what apple does, it cannot satisfy every individual's needs or wants. why is that so hard to grasp? but the fun part is... all those moaning & groaning on the catalina forum here will soon have a new forum to whine on.

it begins... :rolleyes:
Nobody asked them to transform all the apps into iOS icons. It was a big no no. So, they got themselves to blame for the morning and complaining

zooole

macrumors member
May 22, 2016
I've always got to ask when I hear this... do your windows not stay where you put them?

Oh, sorry, I didn't know window management hasn't improved since the nineties. Excuse me for wanting something like Windows snapping.

Reactions: bernuli

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
no matter what apple does, it cannot satisfy every individual's needs or wants. why is that so hard to grasp? but the fun part is... all those moaning & groaning on the catalina forum here will soon have a new forum to whine on.

it begins... :rolleyes:

This. I love the new design personally.
[automerge]1592869134[/automerge]
Oh, sorry, I didn't know window management hasn't improved since the nineties. Excuse me for wanting something like Windows snapping.

Get Magnet.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I liked the new design, I wished for some fluid animations like iOS and better window management, but whatever.

I am a bit pissed about the icons. Why didn't they go full iOS? I love the squares though. Why no dock on the TouchBar though? That would be a great addition (I know there are solutions but they are not perfect)

I really wished Apple would have either left the Mac icons alone or went full iOS. Mixing the realistic textures/shadows of Mac icons with the rounded square design of iOS icons kind of look like an odd half-step to me that's out of place. Almost like those terrible mockup screens you see on brand-less Macs on random merchants websites or commercials.

• Haha
Reactions: wbeasley and Chidi

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Overall it's ok now that I've had days to let it sink in. I was expecting more of an overhaul for 11 though. Similar to what we went through from OS9 to OSX. Wonder why they didn't push it further especially now with their own chip and future hardware design potential.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
App icons are almost always easy to customize and replace. The main stragglers that come to mind would be Finder and possibly Calendar. Otherwise, it's probably possible to track down icons from older versions of OSX and use them

The general UI design isn't easy to modify, but as long as they give us a way to cut the padding, I'll probably be okay with it
[automerge]1593321097[/automerge]
Why no dock on the TouchBar though?
Where would you put the Function keys?

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
The one that's always stood out to me is the Mac OS Contacts Icon. It's a bit rubbish so I'm hoping they go with the iOS version.
They should have some similarity at least and it's always been completely different. Anybody know why?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The one that's always stood out to me is the Mac OS Contacts Icon. It's a bit rubbish so I'm hoping they go with the iOS version.
They should have some similarity at least and it's always been completely different. Anybody know why?

I think it has to do with Apple dumping Intel and going to their own processors have Apple stretched!

• Haha
Reactions: wbeasley

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the everything-is-a-rounded-rectangle thing, but I'll go with it given Dark Mode and the hideability of the dock. I like that Mac app icons are a kind of melding of a shape and the ability for elements to overlap and protrude them; there's a cool kind of unity to that which leaves them distinct from iOS apps – meanwhile, Watch and tvOS apps have their own style that means "an app on this platform."

I was excited when iOS 7 made Notification Center widgets just like items in a column with subtle, understated headers to delineate them – it seemed like the declaration of a new direction at the time, but I guess it was about-faced.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
was excited when iOS 7 made Notification Center widgets just like items in a column with subtle, understated headers to delineate them – it seemed like the declaration of a new direction at the time, but I guess it was about-faced.

iOS 7 was nearly 7 years ago! Jeepers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.