The new HP laptops have better graphics than the ultimate 15,17 configurations.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbyssImpact, Mar 13, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

The HP quad edition have updated their graphics card and other components. It features a 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA].

It's quite sad when you can get this for $999 plus tax.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Then get one

/thread

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

OMG, a Windows based machine with better specs is cheaper than a MacBook Pro! What would would surprise me is someone who doesn't realize this.

You get what you pay for. Good luck with HPs' customer service, as it gets "great" scores according to Consumer Reports latest reviews

4. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why spend $2000 plus tax to get a Macbook Pro to play games on Windows via Boot camp when you can get this. Use the extra 1000 for a Macbook Pro 13.

5. vant macrumors 65816

People who still compare specs against Windows based PCs still don't get the point.

But by all means, go buy your HP laptop.

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Did you even spec one of those out? 15.6" screen with 1366x768 resolution, and no high res option?

7. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

high res display on a 15 inch? Do you want severe eye stain?

8. iZero macrumors regular

Then... buy it? Just remember you get what you pay for. Anyone that looks at a Mac for gaming missed the point anyway...

9. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously a lot of people want to game on a Mac due to the build quality and overall greatness of it. Were you under a rock when the new 2011 Macbook Pros were released? People on this forum would b*tching about how the 13 inch only have integrated graphics instead of a dedicated graphics card. People also complained about how the base line 15 inch model have a graphics card that is below the superior model. How did I miss the point when I want to game on my Macbook Pro?

10. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Hi... pc guy here. Well atleast at home. For 30 years pcs have been a part of my life... my dad being a programmer. But one thing I'm starting to learn is that you really do get what you pay for. That said... I have NEVER met a HP laptop that didn't break down around a year a purchase, It's ridiculos.

After having fought enough with my quad desktop pc and windows 7 drivers that don't work with several programs I'm fed up and will land in MAC camp with a nice 15 inch mbp that will eat 16gb of ram and never break.

11. deeesea macrumors 6502

Go for it OP, pick one up, HP's aren't that bad nowadays, they used to have some heat issues, but I think it's mostly been resolved now.

and windows 7 is a fine OS, now that it's got SP1 too.

Though I still recommend you pick up a Windows desktop instead? perhaps building your own? it's a lot of fun, and you get to pick and choose what components to use, that way you can run all the games now, and keep it relatively future proof. Best part of it all is that it's probably cheaper than the 1 grand you'd spend on the HP laptop. Of course, that's unless you're a student? I suppose portability is an issue for students.

Good luck OP :)

12. iZero, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

iZero macrumors regular

Then a lot of people miss the point if they were thinking these were going to be the next ultimate gaming rig. These machines are not, and have never been, designed for gaming. If you want a exclusive gaming rig, buy a Windows machine or an xbox or what the hell ever people use. Macs are, and have always been, designed to be productive machines, built to make money and last a long time for the people that invest in them. As gaming becomes more common on them and more games are ported to OS X, I'm sure that will change. But thus far, if you look at buying a Mac for the sole purpose of it's ability to game, then yes, you absolutely, inarguably, missed the point. I game on mine too, but for serious gaming, I have a Windows machine. It's common knowledge Macs are not designed with gaming or game performance in mind as any kind of priority, nor are they recommended for it. As I said before, if you want that HP, then buy it.

Edit: And if anyone was complaining about the "base" 15 inch having a graphics card below the "superior" model as you say, then that is a whole other level of silly. Of course the "base" doesn't have the same options as the "superior" model. No manufacturer does that, that's why there is a base, and superior model. That's like complaining that a 12,000 dollar car doesn't have the same options as the 15,000 dollar version of the same car.

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, that line of HPs is one of the most unimpressive computers I've used in person, they quality of the materials they use is quite lacking compared to Dell, Sony etc. It is also cheaper, and more powerful but the real competitor would be the Envy series, the 17" comes with a 6850m.

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I don't game but if you wish to, then get the HP. It's your choice, nobody will care, mock or laugh at your decisions.

Never had a problem with eye strain on my HR display.

15. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

lol. the desperation.

the only HP laptops worth buying are Elitebooks...and even those have QC issues.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

As opposed to getting a new Macbook Pro that will overheat and burn a hole in the ozone layer?

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I guess what you say sorta makes sense if that was the reason you're buying a MBP. However, not everyone myself included has any intention on using the computer as above, or as the sole purpose at least.

I also do agree that people complain that the graphics on the 13 suck, compared to the 15, compared to the 17. However, the comparisons are to other Macs.

I think as a computer as the complete package, not just a single aspect of it.

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Sweet. Just ordered this for $850. Added 9-cell battery.

And returned the HP I received a few days ago with the 6570 gpu.

Apple tax is too much here.

$850 compared to $2200 and worse specs?

I'm all for paying some Apple tax but $1350? Plus have to boot up to Windows anyway in order to play a few games? Never mind that a copy of Windows 7 costs a $100 on top of that $2200.

Get the HP and a 13" MBP or 11" MBA or Imac etc.

19. iTouch1987 macrumors member

what's the point of coming to a mac forum?

LOL. envious, are we?

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

21. iZero macrumors regular

That's the trend with most ( NOT all ) Windows machines. (I have a Windows rig, and I enjoy it very much! ) Like everyone says, you get what you pay for. They may have beastly specs, but high end specs in a cheap machine, do not usually bode well for your investment. Shop around carefully whether you buy a Mac or PC. Those that complain of the price, can come see me in 5 years when this thing still zooms along with everything it was designed to do, or we can compare who gets better care and service (and who's is free :p ) should a problem ever arise :apple:

22. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I love apple but come the **** on. HP laptops all DO NOT just break down after a year. Dell, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, etc. don't either. They can last as long as apple laptops. Are they better? No.

23. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Hp computers = big fat bricks that are shoddily made. Plus, you're still stuck with Windows. So, knock yourself out and get one. Then spend all the money you save by buying a mouse, because the trackpad sucks, and a docking station and external monitor because the screen is lousy and an external keyboard because the HP's keys are non standard size and hard to type on. This is the hidden pc tax that everybody ignores.

Whenever I see somebody using a Dell or HP they're always dragging all this other stuff with them. But all you ever see Mac users bringing with them are the sleek, less than an inch thick MBP's or ultra thin Airs. With computers, you get exactly what you pay for.

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Blah...another "Windows Laptops are cheaper than Mac's" thread. Like I tell everyone; get what you need, and you get what you pay for...

We all know [for the most part] that Mac's are more expensive out of the gate. However, when you consider that it runs both OS X AND Windows [or Linux if you prefer], as well as holding it's resale value, they're fairly close in price.

If you think you're getting more for your $$$ with an HP, or whatever...go for it. Be happy. I think people come on here saying this to help them better justify their purchases. Like if they get enough people to agree with them, they'll feel better about it....?