The new iPad battery is huge (42.5 Whr vs 25 Whr)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samac92, Mar 9, 2012.

1. samac92 macrumors 6502a

An interesting fact about the new iPad that I haven't seen talked about much is that the battery capacity has increased from 25 Whr to a massive 42.5 Whr. That's a 70% increase. It's a larger battery than in the 11 inch MacBook Air!

It goes to show how much more power the improved specs use up. It's quite an achievement that they increased it by this much without a particularly noticeable increase in size/weight.

There's a lot more interesting information about the iPad's specs over at Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5663/analysis-of-the-new-apple-ipad

2. tann macrumors 68000

So since this battery is 70% bigger, does that mean it'll take 70% longer to charge...?

And it's quite impressive how the battery life on wi-fi only is 10 hours yet the LTE version while using LTE is 9! I'd have expected a bigger difference!

Still awesome!

3. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

i was wondering how they pulled this off, thanks for the link

4. tsekh macrumors member

By increasing the thickness of the iPad and reducing the size of the motherboard.

5. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Probaly more cells. Not larger cells. Making charge times desame.
    No one knows.
    I kinda hope for 11 hours battery life on simple operations like reading a book.
    Retina and quad gpu still seems like way to low power draw. I know retina uses a new led bar but....come on were talking about !!!!!70%!!!!! more battery!

6. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I thought the thickness was due to the improved camera?

7. bjmach macrumors 6502

Good post Thanks!!

----------

Guess I never paid any attention but didn't realize the base Transformer 16GB Wi Fi was $100 more than the Ipad.

8. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

This large battery should increase standby (screen off) by nearly 2-fold.. Time on should rougly remain the same.. While checking for push notifications and emails, etc. with screen off this will be a great increase in standby without worrying about it dying. Then again I saw about 30 days worth of standby with push turned on while connected to Wifi 24/7 on my iPad2.. I can't imagine needing more!

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

10. doboy macrumors 68000

You should be able to get 11 hours+ for just reading a book since that doesn't involve wifi or 3/4G radio for constant streaming.

11. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Will be interesting to see what they do with the next iPad. In theory the A6 as well as the next gen LTE chips will be based on 28 nm process which should result in less power consumption and heat. Making room for a much larger battery now sets them up nicely for the next iPad to have a substantial increase in power while keeping the 10 hour battery life, or possibly extending the battery life to even crazier numbers.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or making it thinner and lighter again... :D

13. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

A6, 128GB storage, smaller size back to iPad 2, and slightly better battery life to make a point. I think, it's pretty much given even a year way.

14. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Yep i agree. Knowing apple this is expected.
    And a haptic feedback screen can also come true.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

be nice if the now ipad2 could get this batt and have 20hrs of use!

16. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Haha! So true.

17. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That would depend on the internal chipset of the iPad and how high the battery charging rate is set.

18. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I am just guessing but I think this is going to be a bear to charge. Look how long the iPad 2 takes.

19. homeboy macrumors 6502

Charging times won't double or even be effected. Hell I have a 17 inch laptop with a 12 cell battery and even an hours charge give me plenty of percentage to keep life going.

20. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

But your 17" laptop doesn't charge off of a USB port...

C

21. homeboy macrumors 6502

Neither does the iPad. To charge the iPad you need a wall adapter. Hardly any PC deliver enough juice via USB to charge an iPad, and if it happens to do so, its slow.

22. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Sure it's slower than the wall, but pretty much every Mac within the past couple years has a high power USB port that supports enough power to charge an iPad.

This is unlike Samsung's Galaxy Tab, which really does need the included wall adapter to charge.

23. homeboy macrumors 6502

Not all iPad owners own a recent Mac or turn the computer on just to charge their "post-PC device". I maintain that the wall outlet if the most widely used methods of charging an iPad, especially over night, which makes charging times even less of a concern.

24. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh for sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. That's how I charge all my stuff, overnight via the wall.

Hopefully the new iPad actually surpasses the 10 hour claim doing light tasks, maybe we'll see some battery tests starting next weekend.

25. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No it doesn't. I charged my 10.1 TAB off PC USB. It needed a $2 adapter (or modified cable) and it was slow but overnight it would fully charge. Same for the iPad (no adapter needed). It charges without problem (other than speed) off USB despite the fact it shows "not charging."