The New iPad "Other: 17.6 GB" what's going on?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shenan1982, Mar 16, 2012.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I just synced my iPad 3 (i know, it's easier to say!) for the first time, and in iTunes it's showing 17.6 GB of space occupied by "other" ... anyone know what to do about this? Is it restore time?

Screen shot attached. I don't have anything lingering that would cause that to my knowledge.

Attached Files:

2. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have that too. Strange. I can't figure out what it is.

3. MK25toLife macrumors regular

4. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Did you try anything to resolve? I'm wondering if a restore is even worth trying.

5. snow blind macrumors regular

Crap... I have a similar thing going on i have 9 gigs free and it says im full and cant update my apps! Tried a restore... Still happening! WTF is going on?!

6. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

eeeek this is no good :-(

----------

I just did a complete sync with i Tunes and it fixed it. Now just 2gb "other" which is normal for a 64gb ipad

7. dillacom macrumors regular

I have had that issue with an iPod and an iPad 1. Had to restore and sync

8. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I sure seem to be getting "Waiting for sync to start.." and "Waiting for changes to be applied.." in iTunes. Never had this issue before.

9. snow blind macrumors regular

Tried that twice... No luck :(.

10. MK25toLife macrumors regular

FYI, I unplugged my iPad then plugged it in again to sync and the "other" went away

11. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I had this problem this morning. Then I realized I was still downloading an HD movie from iTunes "purchased" and I wasn't finished. Also, I deleted 2 other movies while it was connected via wifi, but it didn't register on my Mac. Anyway, once I deleted the HD unfinished movie and reset it, everything went back to normal. Anyway, my point was to check if you may be downloading previous purchases from iTunes, and possibly forgot.

...just a thought.

12. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I've had it happen on an iPod before. Usually it means a corrupted file, like something happened with the connection along the way. Basically the quickest fix is a restore. Since you're already syncing to your computer, it should be fairly quick. I just hit restore and it fixed everything.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's the iOS software extension that provides the yellow tint, excessive heat and loss of icon in iCloud settings.