the new iPad Pro's are 7000 series aluminum?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bryanrs, Oct 30, 2018.

1. bryanrs macrumors member

At 5.9 mm thin, surely the new iPad Pro's are 7000 series aluminum? 5.9 mm is unbelievably thin, if it was 'normal' aluminum it would bend easier than the iPhone 6 Plus, wouldn't it? I want one but I just need to know, I'm scared of bending

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

I noticed that the MacMini and Macbook Air are made from 100% Recycled aluminium shavings
    From an alloy

But the iPad Pro are pure 7000 Aluminium alloy which is needs much stronger premium ore not Recycled aluminium.

3. bryanrs thread starter macrumors member

Did they say this during the keynote? I haven't been able to find it on the website

4. Newtons Apple, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

As thin as the new IPP units are they will bent with enough pressure, even the older ones will. I would not leave them laying on the couch to accidentally be sat on, only hard surfaces.

5. nat510 macrumors newbie

I don't think Timmy will spend that money, 2GB of ram are cheap, but greedy Timmy still want to cheat us

6. bryanrs thread starter macrumors member

Updating this, I'm so disappointed because we've already been through this with the iPhone 6 'Bendgate' , why didn't they go with 7000 series aluminum or just make sure the tablet doesn't bend/warp easily? Honestly sometimes I feel like fans care more about these products than some Apple employees do. I wanted this new iPad Pro so bad but I know the next version will be much less prone to warping, so I have to wait now :(
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...d-pro-2018-bend-test-video-jerryrigeverything

7. JP913 macrumors regular

JP913

Dude, it's not like the iPad is a Snickers bar in your hand in Florida in August in 99 degree heat. The thing doesn't just warp and bend on it's own.

If you wanna try to fold the iPad in half like it's a Mad Magazine fold-in, it'll probably bend and break!

If you wanna drop the iPad from your 2nd story apartment window, it'll probably bend and break!

Get the new iPad. Get some AppleCare. Don't put your iPad under your car tire and drive over it. You'll be fine.

8. bryanrs thread starter macrumors member

No way, in 11 months, the new/next iPad Pro won't have this problem. I can wait 11 months, still frustrated though...

9. JP913 macrumors regular

JP913

I believe iPad Pro’s are on an 18ish month refresh cycle.

10. Ryan P macrumors regular

And that update will probably be just internals, faceid, and camera upgrades...

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The 2018 iPad is a great machine but I recommend that it be placed alongside another thin hard object like a thin hardcover book or in my case, next to my old 2015 iPad 12.9” to provide extra support during transport in any soft bag.

12. bryanrs thread starter macrumors member

13. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

And why recycled alluminium is less strong? Care to elaborate?

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

I'll be in the minority of people that would be just fine with a thicker iPad if it meant more stability and even better battery life. At some point don't we have a goal point? Somewhere we say "thats the point at which I like my devices. Once's its that thin, I'm fine. It doesn't better my experience anymore making it any thinner"? I was just fine with my old iPad air's thickness

15. bryanrs thread starter macrumors member

Yup. I remember when I got the iPad 2 I thought to myself "There's no point in making them any thinner than this". This obsession with extremely thin devices needs to stop, it's only hurting things. I'm sure they will fix this in the 2019 models but still, I'm really disappointed, especially because they already went through this with the iPhone 6 bendgate. Are they not learning from their mistakes?

16. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

THIS bears repeating. Again and again. The law of diminishing returns is already here when it comes to thin devices.
    It’s not even dismissed returns ... it’s way worse: We’ve ventured into the stage where it’s a detriment. Durability, battery life, thermal tolerances are all suffering because some jackasses at apple, amd some of their customers, still want them to shave off yet another millimeter with every new device.
    ****ing idiots.

17. aevan macrumors 68040

aevan

Please. The new iPads are fine. They don’t bend. The next generation will have the same aluminium and design. There is nothing to fix.

If you want the new iPads, just go and get them.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2018 ---
    Please. Last generation of iPad Pros, especially 12.9” ones, were too heavy. This generation addresses that issue nicely. There are no diminishing returns here, just good design.

18. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

Uh, hey some of us like stuff lighter. I don't necessarily care for stuff being thinner and would rather have something easier to grip, but that's what cases are for.

I carry my 2016 MBP a lot more often than I carried the 2012 MBP that it replaced. It doesn't take up as much space and it doesn't weigh so much that I find myself reluctant to bring it with me unless I absolutely think I'm going to need it where I'm going.

I don't own an iPad Pro, but I just picked up a new 2018 iPad. I love how much lighter it is than the iPad 4 it replaced and in a case it's just the right size. If I did own an iPad Pro, perhaps I'd be singing a different tune, but as far as the entry level iPads go, I like the direction they went with it.

19. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

I think that the 11” iPad Pro is lighter and thinner than the 9.7” iPad Pro. That’s is acceptable.

20. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

You picked about the worst day you possibly could to be defending Apple lol

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...end-pro-2018-shipping-manufacturing-confirmed

21. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

Too heavy. They weigh less than a pair of shoes. Do. you go around all day moping that your shoes are 'too heavy'? Oh wait, YOU probably do.

22. aevan, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

aevan macrumors 68040

aevan

I am not defending anyone, I’m telling it as it is.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2018 ---
    Ridiculous. You’re confusing the ability to lift something up with comfort of prolonged use.

By your logic, no one would buy the 11” or the Mini, because why should they when it doesn’t matter if something is smaller and lighter. You have threads with multiple pages here where people say they chose the smaller one because the 12.9” was still too uncomfortable to hold raised, and at the same time a lot of those who say how they moved from smaller sizes to 12.9” once they realized how light it is now. “Too heavy to hold comfortably for extended periods of time” was the main complaint people had for the larger size of the previous generation and weight and weight distribution is one of the main physical things every review mentions.

But that is for majority of regular people. In your alpha muscular universe of manly engineers, I guess a thick and bulky device made of titanium would be great. And it should run a desktop OS too, while we’re at it, have 17 ports (3 of which are headphone jacks), mouse support and 128Gb RAM for Safari tabs. Also, fire Tim Cook.

I can only imagine what kind of supersoldier pragmatic pro survivor responses I would get here if I said this design also makes the tablet look nicer.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a really poor comparison you’re using between ‘Shoes’ and an iPad with Weight. The previous Gen 12.9 iPad wasn't overly heavy, mainly it was unwieldy to hold for extended times due its sheer size, which then can feel heavier after while, even with two handed use. There is a reason why many iPad users prefer to use the 12.9 in a ‘docked mode’ for its size alone.

24. aevan macrumors 68040

aevan

Exactly this.

25. BigBoy2018, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

Poor comparison or not, I hope you guys enjoy your fragile devices that break in half. All becsuse you couldnt handle a device that weighs 2 whole pounds.
    To me, thats what’s truly ‘ridiculous’ here.

Advertising line: The new ipad pro - it may break on you, but 98-pound weaklings love how little it weighs!