The new iPad, worse 3G in europe than iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MiBook84, Apr 3, 2012.

1. MiBook84 macrumors member

I have both the iPad 2 64+3G and "the new iPad" "4G"+64GB, altough it is just 3G here in Sweden.

During the year I have had my iPad 2 I have learned that it works better than iPhone 4S for 3G-data, always carrying a good signal and fast data, even where the iPhone doesnt work.

With the new iPad it is the opposite. It does almost never work, even where the iPhone works. I actually have to connect to my iPhone over wifi instead of using the built in 3G(4G-whatever-usa-only-crap).

My belief is that it has fewer antennas working on the european signals causing it to work much worse. It also drops 3G entirely, requiring a reboot to work at all on 3G. Then it works a while.

Actually quite sad to see the new iPad so flawed compared to my trusty old iPad 2 that is both thinner, lighter (after half an hour on a train you know the difference of 50 grams) and it does not heat up nor requiring half a day of charging.

I think the new iPad was to stressed to the market, Steve would never allow a product so crippled to be released on to an international market. The only upside is the higher resolution screen but I must say that it comes with a price that is to high for us upgrading from the almost perfect iPad 2.

The camera is much better but I kinda liked the framerate of the old camera, the new one stutter on picture mode.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Maybe you just have a defective unit? The 3G support is superior in the new iPad, since it supports HSPA+ 21 and DC-HSDPA while the iPad 2 supported only HSPA+ 7.2.

Enough with the "Steve Jobs would never have allowed this" nonsense. Antennagate happened under Steve Jobs. Also remember, the first iPhone was EDGE only. Plus, last year, it was months before the iPad 2 was available in Sweden.

3. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Actually I dont think the problem is in my particular unit but in all new iPads. Probably something that will be corrected in a software update. Just read on AppleInsider that alot of users on 3G are having this exact issue (requiring reboot to work for a while again).

Look here: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...g_connection_issues_with_apples_new_ipad.html

And regarding Steve, I actually don't think he would have been happy with this. You are refering to the first iPhone, mainly made for the US five years ago. The new iPad is in many ways a step backwards (higher energy consumption and only 4g in usa, but still marketed as 4g everywhere.)

One thing I cannot understand is why they dont ship a stronger charger with it. My new ipad takes a lot more hours to charge than my old one, which also took alot of time.

A mac charges quite much quicker (not even half the time!). Apple should think about this..

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Steve Jobs was definitely involved with the iPhone 4S, which also lacks LTE everywhere (even the US). Now that he's gone I think people are forgetting some of his missteps. After all, the G4 Cube was his baby, and it had massive problems with cracking. Overheating MacBook Pros with defective video cards, and the original MacBook Air (which routinely shut down its second core to prevent overheating) also occurred under his watch.

The new iPad is hardly a step backwards. While it may be LTE only in the US, the old version was LTE nowhere, and didn't even support HSPA+ above 7.2Mbps. As for the energy consumption, while Jobs pushed his engineers to the limit, even he couldn't overcome the laws of physics. A Retina Display is going to use up more power, as will the LTE chipset. Whether Jobs would have obsessed about the battery to get the unit 1mm thinner is unknown, but then perhaps we'd be complaining that the battery life went down, or that it still lacked LTE on Verizon and AT&T. I doubt very seriously that Jobs would have nixed the new iPad launch based on the slightly thicker battery alone. On the whole, the fact that Apple got the new model to be only marginally heavier and thicker, with 4x the resolution and nearly the same battery life is pretty amazing. Battery technology has long moved at a much slower pace than other technology.

I do think you are right that Jobs would have shipped the new iPad with a bigger charger, though. It's those kinds of details that he got involved in. At the same time, Apple under Steve Jobs almost never had enough inventory to handle the launch of an iPhone or iPad. Perhaps all that tinkering in the final weeks before a launch was a big reason why.

5. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Sure, its hard to say. Actually the retina display in itself doesnt require more power, it is the backlighting combined with new filters that makes colours more saturated that takes the extra power. The new filters are tougher for the light to get thru, or actually just better at not allowing bleed from wrong colours. That way they have to push more light thru it.

Of course you are right about the cube and lots of other products. The nVidia-mess is just sad, I have had a bunch of macs die that way unfortunately.

I actually do think it is a step backwards in some ways because it is really to heavy now - and the 4G marketing (internationally too!) is almost insulting, not only does it not work here, 3g doesnt work either on it and I do pay for the 4G-connectivity that is built in, which I of course cannot use..

The battery takes so long to charge, and the only better thing about the new iPad for me is the higher resolution screen. I actually do notice that the battery runs out quicker on the new iPad than on my one year old iPad 2 also. And of course the new iPad gets hot in the corner, just where you hold it (they could have put the hot chip somewhere else..).

So it is thicker, takes alot more energy and is heavier. But it has a gorgeous screen, but not more speed, just stronger gpu to handle the resolution, which it don't always do very good, animations that flows on iPad 2 sometimes look bad on iPad 3.

BUT the main problem is the 3G-connectivity. It is very annoying having to restart it every time I want to use it, and the signal is so much weaker than the old one.

I take it with me on a train every other day and it is almost impossible to use 3g on it, and I have to charge it more often. So for me that is a big problem - but I hope that it gets resolved..

But - I got the retina display :D So thats nice at least.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

The 3G issue sounds like a software bug that I've seen reported elsewhere. Apple products aren't immune to software issues, and I'm guessing it will be addressed in a firmware update. Just report it to Apple so they have more data points.

I don't find the new iPad too heavy at all. Sure it's a bit heavier than the iPad 2, but it is lighter than the original iPad. Also, since they didn't raise the price, you aren't really paying for the LTE capabilities. Apple reduced their profit margin this time around (the bill of materials is a bit higher than the last model). In the meantime, they did add HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA support, so once they sort out the software issues you should get better 3G support. By your argument, I should be upset because I'm paying for HSPA+ 21 and DC-HSDPA support that I can't use here in the US when I'm outside an LTE zone.

7. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Im not trying to discard the iPad as junk, I actually love the ipad :). Just a bit sad it is heavier and not working very good for us in europe right now on 3G. And of course a bit sad that it doesnt support 4G here.

We do have 4G almost everywhere and we are probably amongst the first to have it in the world. (Ericsson,Nokia and Siemens makes most of the 4G equipment I think).

I also think a software fix will be available soon to fix the issue and as you say, problems are often there in new products and fixed with new software later on.

8. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

I disagree completely! Sorry, but 3G on my iPad 3rd gen. works perfectly here in Sweden so I would also venture to guess your particular unit is flawed or it is a problem with your provider. In fact, I have used my iPad here in Sweden, Scotland, England and in Spain and in all of those places it has functioned flawlessly.

9. cube macrumors G5

10. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Thats nice to heat but as you can see from the link I posted alot of people are having the same issue. Not everyone but many do. I use Telia with my iPad 3 and as I also have my "old" iPad 2 I notice alot of difference.

Of course my unit might be defect. Ot was also scratched (quite alot) on the back and had/has glue sticking out around the black border. I have removed most of the excess glue but the scratches of course is impossible to remove. I was offered to exchange it (having to leave it in the store and wait for new shipment) so I am keeping it for now at least.

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Same here in DK but the 4g thing is probably gonna get fixed soon as there are numerous threads on the internet about that issue... I at least am hoping that it is only software.

Regarding the weight, not wanting to be mean but maybe work out more also if you have a case where the back folds the trains have the 4 seat arrangements with tables where you can put the ipad comfortably on it and don't have to hold it :)

12. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

I have the black and the brown smart covers :) I use them alot on öresundstågen ;). Unfortunately they make some speedy breaking sometimes, and the smart cover tips over easily then, with the ipad taking the big hit.

Have happened a few times to my ipad 2 but just minor scratches. Trying to lay out a paper under the smart cover when I have it standing to watch movies so it will land a bit softer :)

Had a perfect cover for my first gen iPad from macally but i like the simpliciry with the smart cover.

Another thing, my black smart cover scratched my iPad 2 quite severly. I showed them this in the store when I bought the new iPad (at Mstore in Lund). They said it was a warranty issue and that I should leave the iPad 2 and the smart cover in the store. A few days later they called and said that it wasnt covered by warranty. And that they had a technician work for two hours just to say the problem was "dust".

And to get my things back I had to pay a high fee for their time - which I of course refused and they where most unhelpful unfortunately.

They also first told me I could buy anything in the store for about 500 SEK if I didnt want to exchange my scratched new ipad and they would cover the 500 sek cost. Now they wanted me to pay more than that for looking at my old iPad and I was no longer offered this 500 sek.

So all in all the complete experience was ruined this time. Should just have bought it at my regular store but they had no iPads left.

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Sounds very familiar except with the humac here in dk and an apple wireless keyboard... :mad: I am still hoping for an apple store in the nordic countries but that probably sounds too much like a dream, yeh true the heavy breaking does happen, maybe buy the otterbox defender case?

Link

14. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Actually Apple has posted job listings for a potential Apple Store in Malmö! Close for us both :) and more will come, I guess. I know, the Otterboxes are serious stuff, something I would assume to see in the next tomb raider-movie :). Im thinking about getting aomething for the back but I dont want to impact the design to much.

Sorry to hear about your issue with a keyboard. A fun thing, I was quite mad once and smashed my fist against the wireless keyboard, that bent, alot. I just bended it back and it still works as new :p

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Sweet am living in copenhagen so only like 40mins from here, and definitly especially with genius bar (where the geniuses actually know what they are doing :p not what I encountered). And yep the Otterbox makes the ipad look a bit like a brick but its just as stealth so I guess beauty vs security, something has to suffer.

Lol if you are that strong that holding an ipad in your hand shouldn't be a problem even if its 50 grams heavier. :p

16. MiBook84 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, well Im picky about such things. I remember my old Nokia 8890 which was only 90 grams heavy in total :). But of course that is not an iPad either :p.

I would love a real Apple Store in skandinavia. Have never been disappointed in any of those I have visited, and I love their bags. Just that the big ones works as backpacks is genius :).