The new iPhone 3.0 beta looks painfully slow to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 17, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Watching the keynote tonight... the new iPhone OS looks very slow to load apps. Also, what's the deal with the Voice Notes icon? It looks hideous! The Phone, and Messages icon look weird together now too. They look slapped together really quick. Even the Messages icon looks jagged around the empty bubble. They could have at least just knocked it out to just white like the Phone icon.

I hope we have the choice to delete the voice notes app... I don't see myself using it at all and I hate it's icon.

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

It will probably join the contacts icon on the last page

3. cualexander macrumors 6502a

They did say the tethering to the screen slowed it down some. I know its not quite the same,Apple's should be better, but I can attest that the jailbreak apps to show any app from the iphone on the TV screen does refresh pretty slow. This could explain some of the lag.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

You realize that the icon is likely to change in the next 3 months, right?

You also realize that it's very silly to not use an app solely because of the the icon, right?

You realize load speeds now have no bearing load speeds once it's released, right?

You realize we have 187 other 3.0 threads and don't need one more, right?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As answered in the Q& A session, its a combination of it being tethered so it could be displayed on the screen, and the fact its still BETA software.

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Just like how the 1st generation hardware is incapable of supporting MMS, right?

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WTF does this have to do with lag on the BETA software?

Are you serious?

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Scott Forstall had a bad time with the Messages Applications. I don't know if kids & childrens here already watched the preview, but its painfully slow!

9. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

aha ... the cause of lag is the DEBUG CODE™ but of course!

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you seem to complain about a lot of things
    every day you have a new thread complaining about what the iPhone doesn't have (and coming up with ridiculous reasons as to why)

and now that they've given you what you want, you decide to complain about ICONS??

what does Apple have to do to satisfy you?
    or perhaps they should make you head of the design team for the iPhone

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, its laggy BECAUSE ITS NOT FINISHED.

What is so hard to understand about this, a beta is simply unfinished software.

12. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I was about to get this from the dev center and put on my iphone 3g, but no way actually would I do that. 3.0 is going on the old 2G iphone. Especially because you can't roll back to 2.2.1 and no jailbreak.

Even with this new stuff, there are still apps I have to have jailbreak to use.

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

People... this is APPLE we're talking about. They're usually well known for how professional and beautiful their icons and interface designs are. I'm sorry, but the Voice Notes icon looks like a screenshot of the App and the Messages icon looks weird with a drop shadow behind an empty gray bubble and the phone icon is still a flat knock out to white... I'm sorry, but this is not Apple quality to me. Nobody else agrees that they look weird on there?

I didn't realize the tethering slowed it down... although the Sims played pretty nice. That looked like at least 15fps. Messages took way longer than 1/15th of a second.

15. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

IT MEANS THAT THEY ARE PROBABLY TALKING OUT OF THEIR ASS OR LYING TO YOUR FACE.

*ahem* Err... yeah... um it's ah, oh boy, um. It's just laggy because it's a, uh, beta... yes, it's only beta, that's why it's laggy. Oh yeah and uh... something about a cable... oh right yes it's, um, tethered, you see, to this display thing, that uh, oh boy, um... you see our quad core desktop computer, I mean, when tethered to the iPhone you know, um, makes the iPhone... slower, laggy. *cough*

17. justinjas macrumors newbie

I'm running 3.0 on my iPhone now from the developer beta and will agree it is ridiculously slow almost to the point of being unusable. I'm debating on downgrading now. There is no way though they would release it to the public like this. It basically destroys the responsiveness of the phone and touchscreen and kills the iPhone experience.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Either you're seriously over-exaggerating or you need to do a clean install rather than from a backup.

Mine runs fine other than a couple of hitches in UI transitions and the obvious apps and features that haven't been finished.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you understand anything about what BETA means?

Obviously not

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Mine doesn't run slow besides a couple of exceptions. The SMS app for me opens a lot faster than the SMS app in demo. The iPod app however is a little slow sometimes. But it's to be expected that some things aren't perfect yet, it's a beta.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I kinda doubt the icons are gonna change much between now and summer.

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Honestly, anyone who frets about the icons really needs to take a step back and GET A LIFE!

23. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

C'mon people, this version is not hitting the streets until the summer, which means 2-3 months from now. A lot will change and be optimized by then.

24. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Move along now, TheSpaz has accomplished his task of stirring up controversy and never being happy with anything. He should be happy now.

Let's all move out, now. Nothing to see here.

25. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh really? Come on. UI Design is just as important as function. I'll take design over function any day. I bought an Apple Cinema Display for the design... I could have gotten a much cheaper screen, but I liked the aluminum finish and the stand. I'm using an original iPhone right now because I like how it looks and feels compared to the 3G. I trust Apple and their UI decisions usually, but these new icons look weird. I don't think they're done with this stuff... I think they're gonna fix these kinds of things before the master is released. I tend to think those icons are placeholders for some new ones that are being worked on.