The new iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoIsays, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SoIsays macrumors regular

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. SoIsays thread starter macrumors regular

I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy.

----------

Kidding! Kidding!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes:
    What job is that, specifically?

I don't think this is the only iPhone.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

There have been plenty of leaks indicating that the 5S will be released near to or in parallel to the "iPhone lite" or plastic iPhone. This is very likely not the iPhone 5S, and is instead the entry-level iPhone Apple has allegedly been planning to release to help combat Android's virtual monopoly on lower-cost smartphones.

There are lots of stories about this right here on this website, and lots of threads that discuss this and other releases pending for later this year.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not saying you are wrong, but what evidence is there that there will be multiple phones. I don't recall seeing leaks of a newer 5S type housing. Did I miss that?

7. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I just don't get Apple doing this. Those phones just don't look good. All Apple fans have been saying for years is one reason they buy iPhones are because of the build quality. These looks cheap and not up to Apple standards. It looks cheaper than the 5th gen iPods. Why would Apple do this?

First off it makes no sense here in American when you can get an iPhone for free. Yes I know the US is not the only market, but Apple is based in Cal. And I would think is has one of the biggest markets for iPhones. Why would Apple cheapen their name just to compete with low budget android phones? Don't they already do that with the free on contract iphone? If we talk about Europe will this really compete with sub $200 android phones? No freakin way. It will be in the ball park of $350 to $450. Still way more than the budget android phones.

What is the point? What does Apple have to gain?

8. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

This cheaper iPhone will likely hurt Apple's sales of the 5S since parents will opt for the cheaper phone. I see SO MANY kids these days with an iPhone, broken, that was more than likely bought by their parents. Just wait and see which phone parents choose NOW for their kids...

"Bla bla bla, this is your new phone..."

9. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Mean while……Apple is laughing all the way to the bank….

10. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Polycarbonate is far from cheap its very strong!

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I would say that yes, you may have missed a few things.

Nothing, obviously, is written in stone. Apple has announced nothing and is beholden to no one as far as releasing a 5S iPhone goes. However, they have developed a pattern that they have stuck to pretty closely since the first iPhone's release, so I really see no reason why one might doubt that they'll be releasing an iPhone 5S alongside the plastic iPhone.

12. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

-Reduce stocks/fragmentation
    -Standardize iOS and screen size
    -Compete with Android's cheapness whilst maintaining an up to date hardware (unlike iPhone 4 and 4S)

13. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

They can't compete with cheap android. They have $200 phone. There is no way this iPhone will be less than $300 off contract. How is that competing?

14. g35 macrumors 6502a

I suspect that Apple is going to introduce this as a Nexus 4 competitor in the US/Can/UK, and as a high-end alternative to unlocked phones in developing countries.

I can't imagine Apple knocking $300 off the price of an iPhone just by replacing the back with plastic...I know it costs less than 200/phone in materials and labor, but that is way too drastic a drop. Seems more like they will sell it for $450....$100 more than competing Android alternatives, like the iPad mini.

15. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well I am not sure this will be the answer the Europeans will be looking for. $400+ for a cheaper iphone just seems still very high. That is still more money than the nexus 4 16g. I don't know maybe it will work, but man it just does not seem like Apple.

16. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I agree with g35. Apple products seem to follow this formula:

Analyst's projected price + $100 = Apple's price

Hopefully it'll be cheaper but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's not.

17. iNiko macrumors newbie

A bit expensive gizmo and Nokia has 41 megapixel campera phone.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Didn't see the casing pic before. Thanks for the link! :)

19. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Maybe they are still testing the 5S with the 4.7 inch screen and the iPhone lite is in/close to production phase so thats why we're receiving these leaks instead? Just some wishful thnking.. even though I know for a fact this wont be the iPhone 5S but I dont want the 5S to be the same body

20. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Just wait for the 6. 5S will look just like the 5 but with a dual-led flash. Maybe the aluminum will be less prone to scratching as well.

21. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

In all probability, as seen from 5S prototypes, the iPhone 5S will carry the same design of the iPhone 5. Rumors seem to agree on a better camera, dual flash, new processor and a fingerprint sensor. The only valuable reports of an iPhone carrying a larger than 4" screen either come from unreliable sources, or refer to possibilities Apple may or may not have tested. No sign of production of a 4.x" display so far.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Want to see photos of the 5S? Google iPhone 5.

You can't leak a photo if it looks identical to the previous generation.

(Enter all the comments that were said when that was told about the 4S)

23. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Funny in the movie but not at all funny when you type it. Mental note don't copy cheesy movie lines and type them as comebacks

24. SoIsays thread starter macrumors regular

Don't be such a downer. Try to have some humor in life.

25. mobiletech macrumors member

From what I've read only two will be released 5S and plastic. Which I think will basically be iPhone 5 guts(maybe minus LTE) in a plastic shell.

Supposedly a larger iPhone will be released with the iPhone 6 called iPhone + majority of rumors deemed reliable said it was 2 year away. But everyone likes to jump the gun and say its sooner.