The New iPhone, in my opinion, will have the A5X Chip (discuss)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CallOfDuty, Aug 13, 2012.

1. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

There is a slightly higher chance now that the processor that is said to be contained in the logic board is not a disappointing die shrinked, overclocked A5 but actually an A5X.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/alle...ked-to-the-web

This site particularly said that the logic board is slightly bigger, so they are currently assuming that the processor will be larger.
    The A5X is actually NOT enormously large compared to the A5, but simply a little significantly large. As in, its not so LARGE, but it is certainly larger to an extent compared to the A5.

We might see a die shrinked, underclocked A5X chip with quad core graphics, which is all die shrinked and manufactured at 32nm to become smaller and fit the iPhone's unibody (Advantages of a Unibody: Able place all components and parts together and they fit precisely and perfectly with ease). Not to mention the new iPhone is slated have more space due to the longer dimension. Also, with a unibody, you can fit larger components due to simpler assembly.

Also, if you manufacture the chip and die shrink it, you can achieve lower power consumption without sacrificing performance. As Apple is said to utilize Samsung's new 32mn process to manufacture its chips, you can manufacture the same A5X chip into a smaller dimension. The A5X chip on the iPad is manufactured with the 45nm manufacturing process because Samsung's factories and resources were still not ready to accommodate the manufacturing of a 32nm A5X for lower power consumption. (Because of the SGS3 and the low operating capacity of the factories that time) Hence, they instead upped the battery capacity by almost 70 percent and introduced lower power sipping internals.

Now, with the Samsung Galaxy S3's Exynos 4 Quad core Chip manufacturing at 32nm using the HKMG process, we can expect the same with the A5X. Why?
    Last year, the A5 chip was manufactured at 45nm SIMILAR to the last year's samsung exynos 4210 (dual core) chip in its flagship galaxy phones. Means, we can expect the same manufacturing process with the Galaxy S3 to be carried over to the iPhone.
    AND ALSO, not to mention Apple SECRETLY slipped an A5 chip manufactured at 32nm into the iPad 2 sold concurrently with the new iPad!

2. brock2621, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Here is the thing... the A5X was designed specifically with quad core graphics because of the massive pixel-pushing retina screen. The iphone doesn't have anything near 3 million pixels, so it would be pointless extreme overkill to have it. It would be much more beneficial to use the resources, battery, etc towards and higher clocked dual core A5 or even a quad core A6.

BUT, from a production standpoint, because Apple already has production lines pushing out millions of A5X's, it would be very easy and financially beneficial to just bump the orders. They already have all the machines tooled for it, all the possible hiccups have been smoothed out etc.

I could see it either way, but am honestly hoping for a 1.6 dual core or 800mhz-1ghz quad core.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

I say an A5x. I know it probably won't be a full fledged quad-core processor (I'm fine with dual-core), but quad-core graphics are a must.

4. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Its the same as saying that the 4S didn't need a A5 processor because a higher clocked and die shrinked A4 will do the trick.
    But I think you're right. The iPhone would have SO MUCH graphics performance.
    But I think another reason why I think so is because Apple has virtually used the same chip for the iPad and iPhone every year. A4 in the iPad, A4 in the iPhone. A5 in the iPad, A5 in the iPhone. The iPhone didn't really need the A5 performance at all. In my opinion, this is Apple's way of streamlining its line of devices. So therefore I'm not surprised if the A5X is carried over to the iPhone.
    But as an iPhone 4 owner, I will be utterly disappointed (even though I know deep inside a die shrinked, overclocked A5 will still have performance improvements) if I were to be getting the same hardware with my upgrade. This is another sales factor. Consumers like me don't want to hear the all new revamped A5 chip or maybe the OVERCLOCKED DIE SHRINK A5 chip which many will know also exists in the 4S. People will simply opt for the 4S instead.
    Its like having the same clothes but with different wardrobes. I would rather take the same wardrobe with newer, better clothes to my taste. After all, I wear the clothes more than I look at the wardrobe. Maybe its just me. I'm a very technical person, and I would much rather admire the performance of the new iPhone abit more than the aesthetics.

----------

The A5 already had dual core graphics, I think. And that is assuming I have read through every single article about Apple's A series chip.

5. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

at this point it's probably the A6 processor which will by all reports will be made by Samsung based on the exynos 4 quad core architecture by all accounts it's ready and the power and die shrink advantages will really benefit iPhone more than iPad at this point

6. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep. I would much rather prefer the A6 over having an A5X (Which is the minimum I can take in the new iPhone being a ready-to-upgrade iPhone 4 owner) Taking the A6 feels like I have a new iPhone that has jumped leaps and bounds from the 4S, which I believe Apple is trying to convey through every single product line.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have read many times that quad core and LTE currently do not work? I think that is why the US version of the S3 was dual core. Can someone explain that please? And if that is the case, it won't be quad core b.c LTE is far more important.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yes I know. I'm saying the new processor must have quad-core graphics; it'd be stupid not to considering the iPad 3 has it.

----------

Well that's because the quad-core chips made by Qualcomm and Nvidia weren't made with LTE support. I don't know much about the new chips so I can't really say whether Apple can do it or not. I do know Qualcomm is making a quad-core, LTE snapdragon chipset though.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If anything, the new CPU with just be a A5 with a shrunken fabrication process which means less power consumption and more battery life.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The iPad 3 needs it because it pushes much more pixels than an iPhone.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

So the iPhone will never have quad-core graphics for that reason? What about gaming on the iPhone? I know that's the case, but the graphics aren't JUST for displaying more pixels.

12. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

I think wecgonna see a powerfull device/procecor!
    Despite how it will look from the outside, for sure its gonna be fast :p

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It will be a significant upgrade. The iphone 4 to the 4S had enough improvements to merit the upgrade and I expect the same from the 5

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Of course not. I was just saying that it's not a priority as it was for the iPad 3. Apple can get away with using a less powerful chip to achieve the same performance as the iPad 3 in order to preserve battery life.

This is what 9to5mac says, FWIW:

15. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Based on the 9to5 article and the fact that there doesn't seem to be a solution to LTE and Quad Core without the ridiculous need for a super large battery (BTW, not sure how the South Koreans are dealing with battery life with their Quad-Core + LTE. Could be different implementation due to differing networks and the fact that they are starting to use VoLTE there). Since Apple won't customize for the one market, it's pretty safe to say that it will be some kind of Dual Core variant with LTE.

With that logic, i would gather it would be something like an A5XL where we will get an 1.5 GHz ish CPU and a bump from the A5 GPU. I don't think it will have the same kind of GPU as the 3rd Gen iPad since that would be overkill on a screen that small and suck power down.