The New iPhone LED

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by longhorns172006, Sep 2, 2012.

1. longhorns172006 macrumors member

longhorns172006

i searched the forums and could not find a thread on this. Have their been any reports on the LED? I know that the Samsung SIII has the multi color LED for notifications would that be an option for the LED in the iPhone, and would it hinder the flashlight function of the current LED?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Its still too soon for such a rudimentary feature. That and actually being able to set different notification tones and volumes. Wait two more years and maybe they'll wow you at WWDC 2015.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

iPhone 4S already's got a LED notification light for missed calls, missed texts, etc.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The feature for deaf people? Really?

5. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I would love a multicolor LED on the front of the iPhone. I love that I can just glance at my Razr Maxx and know just by the color if I have a missed call, text (and even who it's from) , email, or other message. No need to wake or unlock the device.

6. longhorns172006 thread starter macrumors member

longhorns172006

Ya I knew of the notifications but I liked the idea of different colors for different notifications ( blue for FAcebook, green for texts, red for ESPN, etc.)

7. NumberNine macrumors regular

Probably won't happen. That would be too simple and beneficiary of a feature to include. Maybe in a few years.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Rudimentary's subjective. Not everyone shares your needs/wants.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'd like a notification led on the home button. The outside ring of the home button. Kinda like when button when Siri is processing

10. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Yeah...Really. Deaf or not, I leave my iPhone on vibrate at work, so I like to know when I have a message. I like this flash feature, and color would just be another neat option.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You would, others wont like or even care about a feature like that probably.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't know why people use LED notification at all. It's on the wrong side and it makes no sense to turn your phone over to see what color it is showing.

Vibration is more useful, whether or not you're deaf.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I have a notification system that works great on all my iPhones. It's really simply and I bet all of you have one too. All you need to do touch the home button or sleep/wake button.... there will be a notification right there on the screen!! It tells you if you missed calls, if you have texts ect ect. It's totally awesome!

Of course if you're so freaking lazy that touching the home button is way to much to find out if you missed a call/text I have a suggestion..... Either you or a friend needs to take a hammer and pound your head with it as there is really no need for you to be alive.

I don't want some flashing light on my phone telling me I missed something. I know some of you do so move to another device that has that feature. NOW if apple decides to put a flashing light on the phone I hope it can be disabled.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said.
    I dont want to be bothered with flashing lights. When Im free and I want to check my phone I can just hit the home or power button to check the screen.
    Imagine that lighting up the whole room all night each time someone on facebook decides to reply or like a post or pic:D
    Hell no.

15. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Its not a spotlight.

Just a small

Tiny

Little

With a non bright light behind it. Simple. Its not like you can stick it in front of you car and pull people over when someone tags you in a post. Its a little dot. I had one on an old phone and miss it terribly.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In a pitch black bedroom while you're sleeping a tiny led light blinking will annoy anyone and it will be noticeable.

17. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Perhaps a night mode will help?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure.
    Or maybe turn it over while sleeping:D

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Nice to see the 'the feature you want to be added is completely useless and you should be shot for wanting it, solely because I don't like it' thinking is still alive and well. I'm sure it'll be revolutionary and amazing to you if/when Apple adds one.

People said the same thing about voice dictation (are you really so freaking lazy that touching the onscreen keyboard is too much work?!), autofocus/video recording for the camera (it's not a real camera so these features are overkill and completely useless), GPS (get a real navigation system if you want GPS!), etc etc.

20. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

I have it on my inspire 4G and the light is VERY dull. you can't really tell that there is a light unless you look at it. I have it next to me in a pitch black room when i sleep and usually have notifications, but i can't tell unless i look at my phone.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

That flare would be an awesome notification light around the home button. it would be so simple to implement. I understand not wanting to be tacky, but if done thin and subtle it would be awesome. And could also very quickly turn into a staple, recognizeable feature just like the home button itself.

22. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I think they might use the home screen as a notification Center. It seems more apple like, than throwing a multi coloured blinking light especially since the only apple product with one is macs when they sleep

23. dotme macrumors 6502a

They should backlight the home button. Small square that glows or blinks slowly. That would be understated, and kinda cool.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How's that work for you when the phone is face up? LED you can tell if you have message, missed call, email, FB notification, score update, ect. The single strobe flash works well when your not in the room as well. If you leave your phone on you desk the LED gives you the necessary info without having to touch the phone.

25. cynics macrumors G4

YOU checking the phone is NOT a notification system now is it? "Yeah, it notifies me all I have to do is check it for missed calls/text/emails/etc"....?

A notification light is not lazy its convenient. However you can be too lazy to turn it off, just like any phone with a notification light.

Blows my mind when someone doesn't want something at no expense. If you don't like it, don't use it. Its a complex, like when someone at work makes more money, you don't want a raise you want them to make less......

Regardless, I'll settle for whatever Apple decides on like every year....