The new iPhones are Dissapointing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Radiating, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Radiating macrumors 65816

According to Apple the iPhone 5S and 5C are revolutionary devices that are leaps and bounds of innovation. A light in an otherwise dark sea of bland and uninteresting devices. These are devices for the dreamers, the rebels, the ones that dare to move forward.

The thing is these new phones are none of these things.

These new phones are boring half hearted upgrades that insult Apple's loyal fans. There is nothing special or innovative about the iPhone 5S, not even the new colors are anything like the last 4S's new color. The iPhone 4S in white was special, it was carefully conceived and delayed for months so that it could have the best possible construction and color consistency. The gold iPhone uses the cheapest possible anodizing method, and the space gray one is also less expensive. These are not improvements in quality, these are reductions in manufacturing costs. The same goes for the iPhone 5C. Not only is the 5C nothing like the cheap iPhone we all imagined it being. It's actually insulting. In past year's customers have gotten last year's iPhone with $100 off the price tag. This year we get last year's iPhone in a chintzy plastic housing. Which is just a way for Apple to get away from having to make anodized housings for the last gen iPhone 5, which cost them too much money.

Cost cutting is of course a top priority when you're making 200% profit per device.

On top of that Apple went a step further and tried to make their 5C not only cheap, but also ugly - on purpose. There's no white on white 5C or black on black 5C, all of the "C" devices feature bright pastels and a dark front, as someone who has eyes I imediatley noticed this clearly clashed visually, and the cases for the phone look like a set of croc shoes. That's no coincidence. Apple wants their less expensive devices to look bad.

The new iPhones are an insult. Samsung HTC and even Blackberry have all released new devices that are major upgrades.

Apple's latest iPhones are basically poorly made iPhone 5's with a fingerprint sensor and dual led flash.

This is the first iPhone that I am not excited over.

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Thanks for sharing. Now if you have Apple stock, sell it. If you have any Apple hardware, trash it. Remove MacRumors from your favorites, clear your internet history and GO AWAY.

C ya!

3. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Enjoy the next android phone you'll buy . . . you won't.

[​IMG]

And we'll all be enjoying the best phones around - iPhones.

4. elistan macrumors 6502a

What did you find exciting about the 4S?

5. bensharma macrumors newbie

Apple iterates on the S-models.

The big changes come next year, whatever they may be.

But lots and lots of LTE bands this year -- this is the phone to buy to travel with...

6. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Siri, which I use multiple times per day. It's incredibly useful and much faster than typing, and the 2x processing power. The iPhone 4 was still noticeably slow, the iPhone 5 is more than fast enough.

The new iPhone S/C is basically a cheaply made iPhone 5 with a few more bells and whistles.

7. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Faster and 64 bit Processor, Fingerprint Technology, Larger than previous iPhone Camera Lens, New Camera Flash & iOS7.

Yep, nothing special or new here.

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

Siri is a software-only feature, by the way, which Apple artificially restricted to 4S and newer phones. (Some people were able to hack older phones and get Siri working on them without issue.)

Your other exciting bit about the 4S is actually something that applies equally to the 5S. The iPhone 5S has 2x the processing power as the 5. There is no such thing as "fast enough" when talking about computing power. My current phone, a 4S, is noticeably slow at times at times. In the near future, the current 5 will be slow too.

Also, the 5S is, as far as I can tell, no more cheaply made than the 5. And with the inclusion of a sapphire crystal home button, probably more expensive in fact.

So I don't understand why the 5S is different for you - all your reasons for being excited about the 4S apply to the 5S.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Interestingly, there were tons of "The new iPhone 4s is disappointing -- Siri is a gimmick that Android's already had" posts on here when the iPhone 4s was announced. How is that possible?

So here's the deal.

Apple doesn't design every version of their phone to be "non-dissapointing" to literally everyone, which is apparently what you're expecting.

Tons of people found the iPhone 4s a total disappointment. You, however, liked it.

Now its your turn to find a new iPhone to be a total disappointment. Others, however, like it.

Literally every new iPhone has disappointed some people. You could spend less than 60 seconds using the forum search features to see that. IMO, the "s" models seem to generate the most disappointment.

This is nothing new. Disappointment is subjective.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

It's pretty much implied that each alternate phone will be a spec bump and maybe one new shining feature. Id say a combo of the fingerprint reader 64bit and the improved camera add up to that one feature. The casings don't change until the next full new version. I thought they may break that trend because of the heated up competition but looks like they didn't. I have used several android phones and i just don't like the OS. That's why I stick to the iPhone even though their phones don't change much there is nothing really better.

11. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

You may have a point to this. If you look at Apple's stock price after announcement for every S model it has gone down $40, and for every non-S model it has gone up $40.

I think the main downfall of the new phones are their styling though. When you release a color (gold) that when it gets leaked blogs think it's a prank or a practical joke or a a fake you've got problems. Then there's the 5C and it's cases.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You can do what I do every two years and not buy a phone. Or do what I do every two years and buy a phone. Good luck.

13. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I still remember the post I read here after the 4S keynote from someone saying he actually cried from disappointment when Tim Cook came back on stage indicating the 4S was all there was. Good times.

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Comments of this sort perplex me.

What, pray, would you possibly want? The video capabilities of the 5S surpass those of a freakin' Red. The processor is now fully 64 bit, the consequences of which will unveil over a timeframe of years. Biometric-based security is now a reality. Display pixels are too small to discern. A kickin' office suite is now free. And on and on.

"But it looks the same." Is that what it's all about? Do you want fins or something?

Bottom line: we're incredibly spoiled today, and some commenters more than others. We're walking around with always-connected, location-aware supercomputers bristling with sensors in our pockets, and the pace is accelerating. Yet, for some, it's never enough, for vague and unspecified reasons. Distressing.

15. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Same here, if you don't like the new iphone go for different phone there are plenty of choices on the market :)

16. Dun Properly macrumors member

When? I haven't experienced any lag with my 4S yet. This is not a flame or anything, I am genuinely curious. I would love to feel better about upgrading. I am still on the fence. I mainly want LTE.

----------

It really boils down to screen size. Lots of people want a wider screen.

I want a wider screen too, but I am not willing to leave the ios app store. I left android for a reason and that reason hasn't changed.

17. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

You can have iOS or a phablet. You can't have both in the same device sorry.

18. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's what I want:

[​IMG]

This would NOT be hard to do, NFC is a trivial feature, water resistance is provided by aftermarket companies like liquipel that just add a coating to the device, a larger screen would be trivial to add, and Apple already has the production line set up to do a thick sapphire screen, although the rest of the device would have to get slightly thinner internally to support the screen, and stereo speakers would be trivial as well.

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

OP, you didn't mention a single meaningful thing. I'm not interested in beauty contests.

----------

QFT. Now they can even say "oooo look at the pretty colours". Best of both worlds.

20. elistan macrumors 6502a

Loading some web pages, and navigating thereof.
    Loading all the imagery in the app store.
    Browsing large PDFs in iBooks.
    (For what it's worth, my internet connection is a low-latency 30 mbps, so I don't think it's my connection speed. I think it's a combo of processing power and memory capacity.)

21. stuffradio macrumors 65816

This is an elitist attitude. The OP's thread isn't needed either. If people are disappointed, they won't upgrade or buy it. There isn't a need for everyone to start their own threads about why they love the phone or hate it.

People who tell others to trash their stuff and go Android need to stop. Apple doesn't need people telling others to move to competitors.

We also don't need to see 3 threads every couple hours being started on how Apple failed. I'm mainly annoyed at the elitism Apple fanboys/girls show though.

22. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

You'll see the benefit of the power in a couple of years time, when they'll be forced to run processor-intensive effects for new operating systems. Just like the iPhone 4.

23. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I just can't stand the complaints. I've read so many today that it's infuriating. Complaints about the 5S case not having enough holes in it, the A7 with 64 bit unnecessary because the 5S is fast enough, even complaints about the audience at the Keynote. I'm just sick of it. My post was directed at those people. Seriously if it's that bad GO! There will be others to replace you.

24. powerslave12r macrumors 6502

A complaint about complaints. How nice. :D

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Have you used AirDrop? One million times superior tech to NFC.