The new ipod touch will cost $299, how much do you think the ipad mini will be now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

In your educated guess

The new ipod will have the A5 chip not the a5x , 32gb . 4" screen

Do you still think the ipad mini will be under $299 or more ?

Im thinking is going to be over $299

The 64gb new ipod touch will cost $399

2. appswipe macrumors 6502

With so many iOS/iPods updated during the iPhone event then Im starting to doubt its existence (for 2012). So if its going to be announced along with the iPad 4 then pricing will be completely dependent on the market at the time.

3. Pair macrumors member

I assume sarcasm - but surely the pricing of the 5G iPod Touch shows that an iPad mini is considerably less likely, due to the pricing and the fact that the iPad 2 starts at $399.

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

$0

After today, I am seriously doubting it's existence.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am beginning to think that as well. That said, if it does make an appearance I think it will be $299 for 16GB with the same resolution as the iPad 2.

6. dchao, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

There won't be an iPad mini as people believed in. Not after the $300 iPod touch announcement, and iPad 2 starting $399.

Anyone needs portability should get the touch. A 7" tablet is just not portable, and harder to read than a 10" iPad. Lets say the base ipad mini is $350, with a $50 difference either way, one could go with either a iPod touch or iPad 2 easily.

iPad mini might still be released, but could be sold with a cellular operator bundle, just like KF HD, $50 per year. It might just have the Apple TV front end, with limited 1st party apps.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I watched these rumors with curiosity. They seemed more like dreams of fanboys, old desires materializing.

With an iPad Mini, the iPod Touch would be close to useless. Browsing and mailing and texting and video are all better on something bigger than an iPod Touch. With the iPod Touch being $299 for a BASE model, there is no room for an iPad Mini.

Maybe next year.

8. OSMac macrumors 65816

The mini needs to be $299 or less, config does not matter much as people are looking for a lower cost alternative to the iPad.

Apple raised entry prices yesterday on the new Touch and unlocked iPhone 5.

9. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

et v.v.
    And will be better on an iPad than an iPad Mini. As stated above and elsewhere, the iPad Mini would sit in a strange limbo, not as portable as a Touch, but not as usable or adaptable as an iPad. Besides, it would be like Apple following the pack (and 'copying' their form factor); can you imagine the PR and legal high jinx from that?

10. paulcdb macrumors regular

ipad mini was never going to happen today! either they won't release one (highly likely) or it'll be announced in march with the 4th gen ipad!

Just because apple is/has continued to look into the idea doesn't mean they see a good enough reason and profit in them... although i wish they'd release one now to shut up the rumours so we can move on to something more interesting!

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I thought for sure their was going to be one, now not so much. With $300/$400 iPod Touches I'm just not seeing it. Plus when are they going to announce it? An iPad Mini by itself? Doesn't make sense. If they didn't announce iPods yesterday I could definitely see an October iPod/iPad Mini/iTunes announcement but not one for just a smaller iPad. That said, they didn't announce a redone iPad with the new connector either. It would be odd to have the line-up with two different connectors.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

A March release would essentially forfeit the 2012 holiday season to Amazon and Google. If the Fire HD is as improved as early reports and the Nexus gains momentum (and a 3G version) they will get snapped up this December.

I'm definitely buying 2 7 inch tablets this December. I'd love Apple to be an option, but if they aren't in the game...

13. mwulf67 macrumors regular

I am in the extract same boat...if Apple decides not to compete in the affordable 7" table market this holiday season, they could be making a big short term and potentially bigger long term mistake...

In my household (2 adults, 2 kids), we have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2, iPod Touches, an ATV and a couple nanos...I would LOVE to add a couple of mini iPads to that mix (for the kids)...I would LOVE to keep everything within the same Apple ecosystem...but if that's not an option, I will look and buy elsewhere...

And who knows, once the Apple monopoly in my household is broken, it may never be put back together again...Apple hooked millions of kids on the Apple 'crack' that is the iPod Touch...those same kids are now looking for a bigger fix (a tablet - an affordable Tablet), if Apple doesn't provide it, someone else will...

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Not going to happen. $349 at the low end maybe. $399 much more likely.

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I still think $249 or $299. Part of the cost of the iPod touch and iPhone is the precision that goes into getting all of those components into such a tiny case.

An iPad mini could use cheaper camera modules since there's more room. The display will probably be cheaper than that in the iPod touch, despite being larger, because of the lower dpi. The case could be stamped aluminum, like the first gen iPad, instead of milled aluminum like the iPhone 5 and new iPod touch.

As someone else mentioned above I think the best think to look at for comparison is the iPad 2. I'm guessing Apple is making pretty healthy margins on that iPad 2 for $399 (if they weren't they wouldn't be selling it).

The iPad Mini will basically be an iPad 2 with a smaller screen, smaller battery, and smaller case.

16. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Someone speaking sense, finally.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

18. dchao macrumors 6502a

You are just assuming the event next month will be for the iPad mini. But Apple have never confirmed that. It could be for another product.

19. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Maybe an iWatch ?

20. paulcdb macrumors regular

who's confirmed it? not Apple! So someone, somewhere has heard from his uncles sisters aunty's mother who's son works cleaning the toilets for apple... doesn't make it true! Apple have been known to use rumours to filter out the people leaking the info so for alls we know that rumours got someone sacked!

For apple to release one now would be so far out from how apple do things. Yes a march release would miss Christmas but so what... Apple don't realise what people think they want, they release what they know they can sell at a huge profit and this is what people keep forgetting.

21. dchao macrumors 6502a

Why does the tablet have to be an iPad mini.

Why can't it be an Fios TV tablet or an Xfinity TV tablet?

Use the same cellphone business model. Apple could receive a kickback from cable companies for every contract sold.

Or a Apple TV tablet that based on the new $50 per year cellular data contract.

IMO, iPad mini just don't justify to have it's own media event.

22. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

249-299 for a 8–16gig iPad, there was the internal memo leaks already

The iPod is 32gig, it's a different product. Heck for another 100 you could probably score a iPhone 4s used.

23. Skullerfly macrumors newbie

I really think they'll do the October event that rather reputable sources have leaked: why would they loose the holiday season to amazon and google, who really can sell if there's no apple competitor. I agree that the iPad mini dosnt justify its own event, but we could see a nondescript event with the 13inch MacBook pro retina and more first party apps (pages) and stuff, to coincide with the launch of iTunes 11. Price wise, it needs to be cheap, maybe remove the iPad 2 from the line up? Unlikely