Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i hate to say this, but i'm getting tired of waiting for the ipod update. the update cycle is more than twice as long according to the macrumors buyers guide.

my main questions are why, and when, and what.

there are reports that apple is working longer on the new ipods because they are trying to increase the display size or quality, and increase battery life at the same time, without thickening the dimensions of an already very compact mp3 player. is this plausible?

will ipods be announced in the paris expo? or not?

will the ipod's resolution be increased to 480 up from 320 x 240? it's kinda hard to read the subtitles of my favorite anime.

can i at least watch lord of the rings:ROTK once and still have battery to listen to more music?

will there be a touch-screen interface?

will there be wireless ipods? (for what? this feature is pointless)

lots of questions, lots of fustration for me, i just had to let it all out.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
ehayut said:
he's implying iphone, methinks
yeah that would be nice....

...but you know apple, they are always going to catch us off gaurd.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will be released at the Paris Expo, since Steve won't be doing a keynote:(

These things will most likely be released at special events like last year.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I think that it's important to note that, of all the buyer's guides, the iPod one means the least. Since all iPods are lumped in together, you can't really follow just the regular iPod or just the nano without effort.

(I really don't understand why the line has not been split up in the buyer's guide. I think it's fairly easy to see where the line would be split: iPods, iPod mini and nano, and iPod shuffle. It just doesn't make sense why they'd choose to combine all of them.)

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
tobefirst said:
I think that it's important to note that, of all the buyer's guides, the iPod one means the least. Since all iPods are lumped in together, you can't really follow just the regular iPod or just the nano without effort.

(I really don't understand why the line has not been split up in the buyer's guide. I think it's fairly easy to see where the line would be split: iPods, iPod mini and nano, and iPod shuffle. It just doesn't make sense why they'd choose to combine all of them.)

I agree. THe other thing is that when one ipod is updated, it is likely that the whole line will be updated for example the nano and video came out very close together!

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
IMHO, Don't underestimate the duration of the current iPod as laziness on their part.

I simply see it as getting more out of the product. I know a refresh would be nice... but I think it's nicer that the products are showing longer staying power.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I've posted threads before on business tactics and Apple's policy with iPods seems to always be "wait until as many people as possible buy the current one, and then we'll release a new one to make the old one obsolete." It's freaking annoying to myself and other consumers, but it's a brilliant business strategy. Remember that most consumers aren't like us people who check rumors about new iPods. While we know about stuff even before it comes out, most consumers don't know about new Mac stuff until they see it on the street or their friends tell them. I work at my campus Apple Store and you wouldn't believe how many people come in and tell me they need to buy an iBook.

Daniel.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
BurtonCCC said:
I've posted threads before on business tactics and Apple's policy with iPods seems to always be "wait until as many people as possible buy the current one, and then we'll release a new one to make the old one obsolete." It's freaking annoying to myself and other consumers, but it's a brilliant business strategy. Remember that most consumers aren't like us people who check rumors about new iPods. While we know about stuff even before it comes out, most consumers don't know about new Mac stuff until they see it on the street or their friends tell them. I work at my campus Apple Store and you wouldn't believe how many people come in and tell me they need to buy an iBook.

Daniel.

Haha its 100% true. So what do you tell them when they ask for an ibook!?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
ipodcentral112 said:
Haha its 100% true. So what do you tell them when they ask for an ibook!?
I just tell them the iBook was completely updated to be much faster, dual boot, have a new chassis in either black or white, have a 13.3" glossy screen, and include iSight. And of course I tell them all the usuals like iLife included, the number of Mac viruses, true Plug 'n Play, etc. It's kind of different for each customer. We don't really get trained, but I can say that every person I've helped that has come into the store looking to buy a Windows-based machine has walked out with a receipt for a Mac. :cool:

We just got the Mac Pro in. It kernel panics whenever we try to shut it off. Bad news bears. :(

It's zippy as hell otherwise though!

Daniel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.