The new MacBook Pro with Retain Display. 8GB or 16GB of Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henry72, Jun 11, 2012.

?

The new MacBook Pro with Retain Display. 8GB or 16GB of Ram?

1. 8 GB

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. 16 GB

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Hey guys I'm just wondering for those who have bought the new MacBook Pro, did you upgrade the Ram to 16GB? Since the Ram is on the motherboard, you CANNOT upgrade it later on.

I'm thinking whether I should upgrade it or not. Do you guys think 8GB is enough for like 4 years? I'm not going to upgrade it for at least 3-4 years. Is it a good investment to upgrade it?

Cheers guys!

2. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I went with the 16GB. Since I'm going to be working with graphic design and such. If you feel like you won't be doing anything that will need the extra ram, save yourself the $180.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really depends on what workload you intend to put on it, more than the length of time you plan to own it. For most average users, 4GB is more than enough, so they likely would never max out 8GB. Some say max it out now, since it's not that much more money, but it's up to you to decide what your needs are.

4. dsc888 macrumors 6502

It all depends on your needs. If you are into digital photography and video editing, then even 16 Gb will seem limited. File sizes have shot up exponentially with DSLRs with 18MP and 22 MP sensors and 1080P60 video files.

If you are just doing basic stuff such as E-mail, web surfing, and using basic software to do photo editing one picture at a time, then 8 will more than suffice.

5. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your advice :)
    I will be using Aperture, but not very often. Maybe once a week!