The New MBP Retina 15 and music production?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCode, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MacCode macrumors newbie

Hey,

i have a problem. Im going to buy the new MBP Retina 15´ definetly with 16 GB but cant decide should i buy the 2.3 or 2.6 Ghz? Does it matter much when youre producing music? can anyone give some examples on how many estimated tracks can be made during ex. Logic or another DAW or how powerful the difference really is?

2. beardymouse macrumors newbie

Not answering your question but as you're producing music it's fair to warn you that the Retina does not have a line-in jack - so if you're thinking of sampling vinyl or plugging instruments into the machine, you'll need to use USB or get the non-retina model.

3. RUFiO795 macrumors member

I've used my MacBook Pro from 2007 with Logic for five years and only recently run into any kind of processing issues (almost definitely just because the machine is about to kick the bucket). I've recorded songs with 20+ tracks going, plug-ins, MIDI, etc. on it, so I can't imagine you'd run into ANY kind of processing issues with the new Pro whatsoever, no matter which model you choose.

4. MacCode thread starter macrumors newbie

5. grrrz macrumors member

If he's spending this much on a laptop he probably has a sound interface.
    on a late 2011 13" I get 20% cpu with the live stress, and I can duplicate the 8 tracks to 32 before it start cracking. test is a bit outdated
    https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111880
    logic is probably a bit more cpu hungry though
    anyway with about twice cpu power than my machine you should be alright for very heavy session, whichever version you choose.
    I would be more worried about the non upgradable limited space (you"ll probably be forced to carry an external drive), and the absence of firewire (but you probably thought of that if you already own hardware)

6. Stetrain, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes it does.

The headphone jack is a combo input/output. You just need a splitter cable if you want to hook up an input only device.

For actual music production I would use a digital interface anyway. The Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter should be good for that.