The New Minimum Wage Isn't What They Thought It Would Be

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TexanMan05, Apr 29, 2015.

1. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Duh.

Link

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Well the idea is if people are making more money then prices should be raised to compensate. It is an effort to lessen the pay inequality in seattle itself. I found the article discussing the inequality:
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-guy/2014/01/17/income-inequality-how-bad-is-seattle/

So the top 5% income earners in Seattle have a household income of $422k and Seattle itself is generally a rich city due to the tech industry. So how to do you deal with a higher minimum wage? You raise prices. Since everyone else has to do it as well, then you shouldn't be at a disadvantage.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Anecdotes != data.

I want to see the data. Whichever way it points.

4. TexanMan05 thread starter macrumors regular

TexanMan05

What data?

5. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

When you increase the price of something you reduce the demand for it, simple. Lefties seem to get this when it comes to taxing petrol to encourage people to use less of it, but not when it comes to low-skill labour...

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Seems to me that this business owner is terrible at their job. Can't even figure out a way to raise wages. The free market has spoken.

P-Worm

7. TexanMan05 thread starter macrumors regular

TexanMan05

What free-market? The one that forced a pay hike by law? Yeah, freedom is just oozing out of that sentence. ;)

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Yeah, price controls really capture the essence of the free market.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If your business model relies on being able to pay less than a living wage to people, you don't have a viable business, period.

Why in god's name do we continue to ignore that WE are paying the difference when we allow the Walmarts, McDonalds, and small businesses that don't pay a living wage?

You don't simply have a right do operate a business any way you see fit. The very act of filing for a business license means you need to adhere to the regulations in place (or ignore them entirely if you're a multinational...), we need to have a newly updated minimum wage requirement that embodies a living wage explicitly.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Please, they sold pizza in one of the geek capitals of the world. You raise prices, sure you may decrease demand but also generally people will accept price increases to a certain level.

11. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Would you be in favor of banning part time work? If not, why not?

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly!!!

13. TexanMan05 thread starter macrumors regular

TexanMan05

But at what cost? If an owner pays $7.25/hour and charges $5.00 for his product then when he pays $15.00/hour, would he not charge $10.00 for his product? The employee has more money but it's worth hasn't changed.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There needs to be laws against shifting to "just in time" scheduling and rotating to nothing but part timers in an attempt to skirt regulations.

I worked in service, ALL they did was fire people who were making $12+ an hour (after nearly 8 ****ing years) so they could hire nothing but people at $8 an hour.

The WALMART model needs to fought back against, and explicitly laid out.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

except Chinamart, Crapdonalds, Toxic Hell, Del Crapo, booger king, crap in the box and many others have made it using exactly that model.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again.

If your business model is built upon the notion that the taxpayers should make up the difference via assistance because you haven't priced your model to include a living wage for full time employees, YOU HAVE NO ****ING BUSINESS BEING IN BUSINESS.

Crafting your ****** company upon the idea that you can't pay your workers enough to live above the poverty level will receive no sympathy from me. I don't care.

----------

EXACTLY MY POINT. :rolleyes:

Their business models are EXACTLY what I'm railing against. The thing is, we act like they don't have enough money to raise workers wages, which is nonsense.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your point is based on emotion overlooking facts. CO's listed made it big doing just what you don't like.
    what is a "living" wage? minimum skills get minimum pay, I recall making 2 freaking dollars as a waiter when I was in AZ. I sure as hell did NOT like that pay, got myself a bit of education & made it out of that. no it was NOT easy ; you want something better? EARN it.

18. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The idea that all jobs must provide enough to "live on" puzzles me still. What if I just want a part time job for some extra cash?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When was that?

What was the $2 an hour worth today?

Frankly, all those posters said was that they agree with the PR misdirections that big business puts out. I don't buy for a second that CEO's of fast food companies need to make literally thousands of percent more than their workers in order for the company to retain such amazing talent.

We need to recognize that the only reason there is less money for workers today, is that the pay for executives has gotten to robber baron levels.

There is a poverty line here in the USA, if your company doesn't pay that, you have no ****ing business operating. We used to have worker protections here, now we're back to the pseudo-fuedal state that Capitalism always reverts to when enforcement of regulations becomes nonexistent.

20. TexanMan05 thread starter macrumors regular

TexanMan05

So I read in between the explicits and I see a lot of resentment. Did you get fired before and replaced with cheaper labor? Also, I don't think businesses really care about sympathy. I think they're in it for profit.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2 not sure, CA wage at that time was a tad over $4
    3 the pay what the federal GOVT makes them pay.
    4. rather depends on the size of the CO.

you will have a pretty hard time starting a business if you end up pay what some might consider a "living wage", YOU still have not said what YOU consider a "living wage".

when you pay too much you end up bankrupt & if you have enough lobbyist you could end up with tax payers bailing out your failed ventures like GM/Chrysler ETC ETC ETC .

22. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

WHAT?!?! You mean when push came to shove you stepped up and made something of yourself?!!?! Shocking how human nature does that when put in a predicament instead of keeping them on the teet. I'm sure if the left finds out about your story you'll be demonized and told it was handed to you, because after all, YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT!

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I left. I refused to continue to work under those conditions for **** money.

I understand that businesses are in it for profit, and nothing but profit. Understanding how that can cause issues, there's this whole notion of curbing the excesses of corporate capitalism via regulation. Now of course, because both of our parties are entirely corporatist, that entire model has broken down. You can see the results that has had on the American economy.

----------

The reason I don't listen to you guys is because you don't care about facts. GM/Chrysler/the whole friggin American car industry wasn't even making the legally obligated payments to the worker's pension funds....

How can NOT making the payments be the CAUSE of your bankruptcy? :rolleyes:

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Er, I did not go BK, THEY did for many stupid reasons and the GOVT decided to use tax payer money to bailed out their failed practices

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you approve of this corporatism?