Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
we all knew that it was going to happen sooner or later, but that thing is ugly thats for sure, way too shiny if you ask me

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
It is not a true computer yet, just a concept. But it is only a matter of time before something like this hits the market.

Hickman

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
What's with the tile grout lines and the ugly square decal? They take a simplistic approach like that of the mini and they royally screw it up.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Agreed. Amazing how they can rip off the mini - which truly does look cool - and somehow utterly destroy the attractiveness.

Franken-mini, methinks.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Right.....because Apple was the first one to make a small computer....

Ive had a PC a little bigger then my mini for over a year now.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Cool!

Thus far, the concept PC is just a piece of plastic, literally, although its design showed a clock display and optical drive in front, with ports such as USB, optical audio and FireWire in the back.

Cool, now I can have my computer flash 12:00 like my vcr ;)
This is just plain laughable, and goes to show that the M$/Intel world can't think for itself anymore.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
mrzeve said:
Right.....because Apple was the first one to make a small computer....

Ive had a PC a little bigger then my mini for over a year now.
No, we're commenting because Intel is showing a blantant rip-off of an Apple design. My question to you, is why did you buy the Mac mini?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
relimw said:
No, we're commenting because Intel is showing a blantant rip-off of an Apple design. My question to you, is why did you buy the Mac mini?

Because it was cheap and I wanted to begin to develop software for OSX to expand my products.

And cause I had a 17 inch LCD just laying around.

I really could care less about the size of the mini. I wish they would have made it bigger, cause the performance is horrendous. I wouldve been fine with a machine the size of a g5, cause heck, it would been alot better, and bigger parts means its cheaper for apple to put together.

Granted though, Im stuck with 256 ram untill my 1gig stick gets here. So i'll judge again then.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
PlaceofDis said:
we all knew that it was going to happen sooner or alter,

But not today... that "concept" is just a plastic shell. It doesn't run.

Ripping off someone else's concept is even easier WITHOUT the engineering :)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Mini

It is a ripoff, but

At least it has a remote included/or option.

I have many PC using friends (with iPods and iTunes) that want to hook up a Mac mini to their tv and home stereo. They also want a remote, and the mysteriously missing iPod connector/charger that was rumored to exist.

Also, how about the ability to play CDs and DVDs without booting the computer. Many PC laptops allow this, why won't the Mac mini? or Powerbooks?

C'mon Apple

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Apple is NOT the first company to comeup with the mini concept and they dont deserve the innovator award for this. There were other companies before them.

Apple only deserves credit for the sleek appeal, nothing more

That true?

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I think it is funny how as soon as a new PC product is announced that looks like something Apple makes, everyone complains about how they are ripping off Apple. Sure they are, isn't that how things work?? If someone has success with a product, others will try to make a similar product to compete. If there was suddenly another company out there that started making a new MP3 player with a 100gig HD and 36 hours battery life all in a 1"x2" case, Apple would soon be using the same parts and making a new, smaller iPod. Whoever is the innovator in the feild can expect to be copied. I just see it as a good thing that Apple is leading the way.

I say good for Intel. That box isn't as ugly as some PC cases out there. There was a thread on here a while ago with some awful looking PCs. Odds are, this box will never come out. If it does, it will still be running Windows.

Anyway, just my two cents at 2am...

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
The only real successful "small" form factor case has been the SFF series by Shuttle. So I can't say any other PC case manufacturer, with the smaller ones, has garnered enough interest b/c those PCs were particularly weak (PIII's or Via CPUs in them).

Shuttles continue to be the only ones with Desktop CPUs (nForce4 with PCI-E being the latest addition)...however, it seems Intel wants to change that. Yes, the case is exactly the same, but if this means laptop CPU/mobo combos getting cheaper for everyone, so be it.

The only Intel CPU i recommend to friends is the Dothan, and if Intel decides (finally) to use a high-efficient CPU vs. the marketecture P4 "Net Burst", then I'm all for it.

*This also reminds me of a concept i got from ECON 200, well I think I remember it correctly. As the brand name increases in price, so do the generics. Well, with Apple pricing Mac Mini's competitively, I was anticipate that the "generics" (PCs) will also be priced competitively.

If that means lower prices, WHOOO!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
spacepower7 said:
I have many PC using friends (with iPods and iTunes) that want to hook up a Mac mini to their tv and home stereo. They also want a remote, and the mysteriously missing iPod connector/charger that was rumored to exist.

Also, how about the ability to play CDs and DVDs without booting the computer. Many PC laptops allow this, why won't the Mac mini? or Powerbooks?

C'mon Apple
Use sailing clicker. you can control your mac using a supported bluetooth enabled phone. You can use the phone to control the mouse, play DVD/iTunes, activate programs, control keynote so on.

As for playing DVD/CD without booting/starting up the computer? I'm a little puzzled

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
The Intel mini-pc is indeed a blatant ripp-off from the mac mini, but i don't agree it's ugly as hell. They should remove that silly clock though :D

The mini-pc concept with laptop components is not new and Dell has used it for a while (3 years?) now in it's mini-optiplex series. Those are a lot smaller then those shuttle SFF towers. But it's still more then 3x as large as the mac mini.

index.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.