The new tax "plan" is out!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Apr 26, 2017.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Everyone can have their take on it, but I don't want to hear ANY politician on either side whining about what it could do to the deficit. We have a ridiculous debt and deficit problem in this country that will eventually bite us in the a--, but don't pick today as the day you're going to start pretending to care about it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2017 ---
    I'm not quite ready to knock it for not being 50,000 pages of crap.

3. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

It doesn't need to be 50,000 pages, but as it is, it's not a "plan." At best, it's a plan to have a plan. Trump is all about the big idea but has no capacity to follow through.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I agree from the information in the OP's article this is about a half plan. Not setting income brackets for your tax rates... means not knowing impacts and smells of trying to shoehorn an outcome out of a fixed idea.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

sounds like how he campaigned appealing to both sides in one sentence.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not really a plan, more an outline for discussion.
    I like the idea of eliminating loopholes and deductions only rich people typically use.
    I've always thought the estate tax was a BS money grab by the feds.

8. citizenzen, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's not as if liberals don't care about debts and deficits.

So sorry ... if trump's giveaway to corporations explodes the budget, then I reserve the right to care and complain about it.

9. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm confident that Uday and Kusay Trump -- and Ivanka -- would agree. I'd guess Tiffany gets screwed in the will.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's long past due that we start caring about our Nationsl debt. Most irritating is the GOP who claims fiscal responsbility but when it's their guy proposing an irresponsible budget, then it's ok. I hope the hard right liners shoot it down. Trickle down economics was tried during Reagan and W and it failed. It's just another hand out to big business their golden calf, that will prevent our national finances from getting back on track- a record tax break and building up our military more than it already is. Lunacy for hawks.

11. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

Now makes sense why Trump is not taking a salary, this would be the windfall of a lifetime for the Trump estate. What next, huge land grants to any U.S. citizens named "Trump"?

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'll have to mull this over, but I think I like about as much as I dislike.

Good: Lower tax rates for individuals is good. Though I'll have to plug this in to excel to see if it favors the rich too much.
    Good: Getting rid of some tax deductions except homeownership, retirement savings and charitable giving ones. I think we've all been asking for this.
    Good: 15% business tax. But I hope they eliminate enough deductions to offset the revenue.
    Good: Increasing standard deduction is good. anything that makes doing taxes easier and less expensive is good by me.
    Meh: Fewer brackets. More brackets doesn't mean more complicated.
    Bad: Getting rid of estate tax. You should not be able to pass down massive wealth for generations, nothing good comes from it.
    Bad: Getting rid of state tax deduction. What possible good justification is there for it?

The main thing I like is that the underlying theme is simplification. I disagree with some specifics, but I like the theme.

The main thing I dislike is the lack of details. Trump promised a tax plan, this is a tax tweet. Give us details, specifics, and economics. (though, Trump over-promising and under-delivering is the norm these days).

13. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

Plug what into Excel?? There isn't enough here to plug into my toaster.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I've always cared about. My general thinking is: Raising the national debt to help people with social programs, education, housing, etc. is a good investment in ourselves. Raising the national debt to reduce taxes on the rich, prop up defense contractors, and reward huge corporations is not a good investment at all. Democrats tend to do the former. Republicans tend to do the latter.
    It's a good point. He gave us the tax bracket rates but not the dollar thresholds. What a dunce.
    Here is the actual Trump tax "plan" without any media spin:

[​IMG]
    This is seriously amateur hour. This screams it was done last minute and had no actual thought put into it. Like, wow, I knew Trump was a moron but I thought at least some of the people around him might spend some time thinking about this and putting together at least a professional-looking document with actual ideas. Who the hell is Trump employing? Did these people graduate form high school?

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

two words: Dynamic scoring. Shameful.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Why am i always reminded of this

when i hear about a Trump "plan"

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

These all look like fine ideas. Implementing them will be next to impossible.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well hopfully trump will kill the ones he has used often.

19. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's ironic coming from Trump, at least he has the courtesy to shut that door behind him.

20. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

But why is it a problem?
    I was hoping they'd get rid of the mortgage tax deduction. That one is stealing tax dollars.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I bet he leaves the door open for him we will never really know now will we?

22. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

There should be no new corporate tax breaks that aren’t directly linked to the hiring of new people in America and/or giving current employees a raise.

Then watch the corporations not take advantage of any of it.

23. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

Trump just announced his plan for eliminating ISIS, threats by hostile governments and achieving world peace. Here's the preview:

1. Eliminate ISIS
    2. Eliminate threats by hostile governments.
    3. Achieve world peace.
    4. Golf
    5. Eat a beautiful slice of delicious cake.
    They're also missing a word in the sentence on dollars held overseas.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

sure seems like they did not care while Obama took us to 19 trillion in debt......

25. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I keep reminding you we had gay cake in the balance. Who has time for anything else. Don't make me make the mods drop the ban hammer on you for your insensitivity to the greatest crisis of a generation.

26. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd expect a hundred pages or so, with a ten page detailed summary.