The New York Times thought this was appropriate to publish

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG]

After complaints they published this:
    [​IMG]
    Who at the New York Times thought it was a good idea to publish that cartoon in the first place? And people call Trump anti-Semitic.

2. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

Thank you Mr. Obvious.
    :D

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is Captain Obvious to you. Show some respect, man!

obvious.jpg

5. niji Contributor

niji

its offensive to me.
    because rump is the one holding the leash.
    should be Netanyahu holding dog rump's leash.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Journalism everywhere has declined. The watergate and pentagon paper days of the NYT and WaPost are long over.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

8. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Its actually the other way around. Netanyahu has Trump on a leash. Now would it be anti-Semitic to have Bibi have Trump on a leash..?

9. niji Contributor

niji

thanks. loved it. appreciated the link and have sent it to others.

Treasonous Trump will get his justice in the Courts of New York, Virginia, and Washington DC.

but am loving the art and the comics before that time comes.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

There are a bunch of cartoons out on Iran as well by the NYT. Rarely saw any complaints there..
    No one says anything about all the Iranian cartoons being Islamophobic, why..? Or about the Palestinian ones being Islamophobic, why..? The Israeli papers in Israel constantly publish similar cartoons about Palestinians. Not saying anything is right here but there are some double biased double standards when it comes to those complaining about cartoon images. The irony and hypocrisy in this is that I don’t see Trump Junior complaint about this when the Israeli papers publish Islamophobic cartoons but yet he complained here about this cartoon image. I am not saying he is wrong to complain but I think he should either complain equally or keep his mouth shut so he does not look like a biased hypocrite or a biased bigot. Nothing wrong with condemning with what one feels is wrong but if you want to do so at least don’t allow bias to kick in and allow yourself to turn a blind eye when your own side publishes similar cartoons.
    030DDE2D-DD25-4B14-8D83-0CBB22E57E8A.jpeg 43A604FD-DE56-48A3-AF39-71B66F1E9685.jpeg

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Wtf people? Perhaps poor taste to be sure, but there are some geopolitical realities out there. Relatedly, Netanayu is a kinda a dick, as is Trump. Don't care for the cartoon, but have some perspective.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What anti Semitic tropes are there in the cartoon?

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

To be honest, I didn't address this in my previous post - but yeah...where is the anti-semitism? The Israelis are literally/figuratively leading the way in the cartoon. Also, a bloody cartoon.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think a reasonable person could find offensive anti-Semitic imagery in the cartoon.

But I think you could find offensive imagery in many, if not most, political cartoons. Cartoonists exaggerate personal features to caricature individuals. Certainly I remember seeing cartoons that a reasonable person would find offensive to women, to African-Americans, to British people, to Mexican people. To doctors, lawyers, and bankers. Tennis players, game hunters, and boat owners. To Catholic priests and Boy Scout leaders.

Are Jews specifically allowed an eternal exemption from being offended? Does this exemption from offence to Jewish people preclude editorial cartoons critical of Israeli political leaders?

Was it a mistake to include that particular cartoon in any edition of the New York Times? Obviously the Times editors and management thought so. Because they removed the cartoon and published a story about doing so.

Newspapers, and the journalists that work for them, make mistakes. Good newspapers and journalists admit their mistakes and move on.

Bad journalists, and bad news organisations, pretend it never happened.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I like to think I'm reasonable, but I really don't see any offense. Satire and caricature get some leeway in my book. That's the point.

17. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Since Trump is wearing a yamaka, yes. It would be anti-Semitic.

18. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Not surprised people are okay with this.

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is merely drawing someone with a yarmulke offensive? I would hope not.

The thing is, Trump is not Jewish.I think the point the cartoonist was making is that Trump makes an ostentatious display of his Jewish connections (ie. via his son-in-law) which he then uses for political effect. But where? Trump is not popular among the majority of American Jews. He is shown as being blindly led by Netanyahu.

I don't blame the NYT for pulling the cartoon. But it still highlights the distasteful and manipulative nature of Trump's relationship with Netanyahu, Israel, and both the Israeli and US Jewish populations. Who exactly is fooling whom isn't entirely clear.

21. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Are you ok with these?
    E7B65F64-A21E-4A34-AEFC-A3360CEE4D2D.jpeg 9B1EA07E-4039-447C-BD9A-F9E705EA2AA9.jpeg

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Like he held obamas?

23. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

People seem to have forgotten about all the Obama cartoons..;)

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Me either... As long as the filth is directed at the other side, people accept it. When it's directed at their side they flip out.. Ye ole' merry-go-round of outrage or acceptance...

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because the Jewish dog is leading a blind Jewish man? How is that anti-Semitic?