The next big feature of 1.1.4 FIrmware (my prediction)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Feb 22, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was thinking about what Apple would add to the next version of the iPhone/iPod touch firmware and I think I came up with a good prediction.

Lately, Apple has been enabling features that people used to hack in order to get. Some examples?

1. SDK is the big one: People have been hacking the iPhone just to get more Apps and Apple responded to this by announcing an official SDK at the end of this month.
    2. Movable icons on the home screen: Again, people were previously using Customize.app to do this... Apple made it official
    3. People have been complaining about Lyrics ever since the iPod touch came out... Lyrics are now in 1.1.3
    4. When the iPod touch first came out, the Calendar was not editable from the iPod: Apple "fixed" this issue in 1.1.2. Thanks Apple!
    5. WebClips: Do I even have to say anything for that?
    6. Mac OS X Leopard: Apple recently officially allowed people to turn off menu bar transparency for those that do not like it and also making stacks able to use list view.

Now, we can clearly see that lately, Apple has been on quite a roll with listening to the users and watching the hacking scene and they've been pretty good at updating the software please the users.

Now for the BIG thing that will be in 1.1.4 (my prediction):

I think that in 1.1.4 (or whatever they're gonna call it) will NOT ONLY allow for 3rd party Apps to be installed via iTunes but, the ability to customize the home screen wallpaper behind the icons. It makes so much sense to me. This seems to be one of the last things that people are jailbreaking for. I imagine there will be a control panel in Settings to edit the background. Just look at how many pages are in the thread "Post your NEW SpringBoards"... people want some color on the boring flat black background. Also, why would Apple put black shadows behind the icons if the background is black anyway?

Anyways, that's my prediction for the next release of the iPhone/iPod touch firmware. This could be what stops most people from jailbreaking.

Wanna talk about it?

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

hmm interesting, personally i hate having pictures as a background, means the apps arn't very obvious...

...but it would be cool for apple to atleast make it possible.

...i do love the idea of custom docks!

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, you are stating your particular taste or preference. I'd love to have a dull blue background or something subtle so that the home screen doesn't look so boring. Do you use a black background for your computer desktop? I certainly don't and I don't have trouble seeing my icons on that.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I am all for customisation.

But I do hope that the *new* features are a bit more meaty than that. :eek:

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

It was a real bug causing the calendar to be un-editable, wasn't it?

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I agree, ok, being able to change or customize the default background is a nice addition to our £269 devices, to get rid of that 'uniform' look, but it is in no way a 'BIG' feature or addition, and I don't think Apple will see it that way either, especially if it's going to be implemented into the next firmware, which is likely to be a point release (1.X.X). Point releases are generally used for graphical updates, or bug fixes.

Now, talk v1.2.0/2.0 (A major release of firmware), with ability to wirelessly sync and remove unwanted songs natively, and you'll have me listening ... :)

R-Fly

7. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

8. jbarr macrumors regular

First and foremost, I'd like to a simple application like WiFiSwitch to toggle WiFi on and off from the Home page instead of having to use Settings. Would make WiFi management so much simpler

Second, I'd like to see the Notes app either sync with Outlook Memos or with raw .txt files via iTunes. Being able to enter text with a real keyboard would be a Godsend.

These could easily be done through a firmware update.

On the 3rd-party app side, I'd like to see an "official" and more stable version of Wikipedia.app.

9. sjo macrumors 6502a

video recording? mms? cut&paste? flash? finder? ichat? office support? voice dialing? widescreen keyboard in every app? sms to multiple recipients?

lol

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPod touch cannot:
    Video Record
    Send MMS
    Voice Dial
    SMS To Multiple Recipients (which 1.1.3 can do already anyway)

11. nylock10 macrumors regular

Me too, I'll I need is that (I'll take any other nice features they'll add though ;)).

12. wizard macrumors 68040

Well as others have alluded to I can hardly see custom backgrounds as a reason for an update.

In any event I'm not even sure they will have a 1.1.4 as a 1.2.0 looks to be timely. For one thing they need to get the OS nailed down for the SDK. Second they need to get some of the OS'es shortcomings ironed out. Especially with respect to Bluetooth and the profiles supported there. So I expect the following in the next revision:

1. Bluetooth fleshed out and the common profiles added.
    2. Disk mode access to at least part of the file system, very important for professional use.
    3. Improved syncing as has already been mentioned.
    4. A FINDER or other file browser.
    5. Along with the above the ability to navigate the file system in apps for saving and recalling files. One hot area would be the ability to save web sites in SAFARI.
    6. A stand alone PDF reader. This of course really needs 2, 4 & 5 above.
    7. A terminal app and a set of BSD utilities. This possibly as an optional download. Optional to keep from confusing people that don't know any better.
    8. A chat program. This really needs the horizontal keyboard that every body alludes to.
    9. Skype! Yeah I already know that Touch doesn't support this right now! This or a similar offering should be considered an imperative on any future Apple hardware products of this sort.
    10. The ability to switch the USB port to host mode. This likely requires new hardware but the appeal here is big.
    11. The ability to encrypt certain files such as address books. No body likes to loose their phone but even more so they don't want their private contacts being made public.
    12. Related to #11 general improvements in security.
    13. A significant update to the calculator. It should have an alternative interface that provides for scientific computing and possibly a programmers mode. Maybe the calc will even learn RPN :0
    14. Apple either needs to provide flash support or convince the likes of CNN, Yahoo and such to support alternative video streams. I'm beginning to think that they intend to simply wait for the new browser / HTML standards to take hold. That would be OK if it didn't take so loooong.
    15 Look into complaints about the mail system and address them as best as can be done.
    16. MMS frankly I don't know what all the whining is about, but hey there is enough that I say lets shut them up.
    17. Voice recording would be nice. call it voice notes if you will. It has already been demonstrated by the jailbreak community. Again this needs file system access.
    18. Voice dialing.
    19. Simple spreadsheet / data base program. Yeah a combo approach but with the goal of allowing simple spreadsheets to be used on the small screen of these devices. Mostly as an avenue for data entry and collection.
    20. General system enhancements and stability improvements. Stability is a big issue and needs to be constantly addressed.

Ok so that is twenty items that is likely more of a wish list than anything else. Note though that background images are not in the list. If anything the list highlights that Apple has a lot of potential in its new products. They certainly can keep the buzz going about the iPhone/Touch for a long time if they address this list.

dave

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I think you've just outlined the near future of the touch platform, in one. I do believe however, even though most if not all the points are software related, I doubt Apple will give us everything through 'software'. I see a few more revisions of the touch platform on new devices, with 'exclusive' software for each device - and therefore creating a very tempting reason to upgrade, for functionality.

Yes, you could argue Apple offered ipod software for a price not that long ago, they could keep adding software functionality, right? - Yeah, sure they could, but Apple want mega revenue, not $20 per customer. If they make exclusive software, on one device, on the touch platform (rather like the software difference and exclusivity between the iPhone and iPod touch), they can charge thier usual design premium, plus extra for the added functionality.

This is how I see the future of Apple's touch platform.

R-Fly

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That was a very well composed post; so much so, that I expected a substantial conclusion. It never came.

Do you really feel you made a leap here? Customized backgrounds? Of course this is an imminent feature; an ugly one, albeit a big deal to many.

All the themes I've created share a black background. In fact my personal favorite is Mantia Black without a Dock. Simple is beautiful for my iPhone.

Thanks for the nicely formatted post, it's refreshing to see paragraphs and proper grammar!

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Guys... Apple has only been making minor changes to the OS of the iPhone and iPod touch... I'm only talking about a change to the NEXT update of the iPod touch... it seems all they have left to do (to make people happy with the vanilla, no jailbroken, setups). They listened with customizable home screen by letting us move the icons, but, I think they should also let us choose a custom background image. The Mac OS X desktop has a background image... so why not have one for MobileMac OS.

Also, I've been thinking... they need to call the mobile OS X something other than X.X.X Firmware. It's confusing to always say iPhone when there's more than just the iPhone these days.... they should call it MobileOSX or something similar so we can talk about just ONE platform.

"This app is designed for MobileOSX" instead of "This app is designed for iPhone and iPod touch"

16. mekopolis macrumors regular

I dont see the SDK releasing anything to interfere with their business models
    so i wouldn't count on Skype or VoIP (unless its a subscription based model that apple gets revenue from), ichat or any txt msging application that would take away from txt msg revenue, and basically anything that would infringe upon trademarks or copyrights such as NES or Playstation emulators....

although rumored, i am split on not seeing flash coming to the device, considering it is another company that produces and controls that code, unless they work to bring it, why would apple consider it when they can spread their technology across the web and control more of it's platforms, [good business sense]..the've converted youtube, why stop there

I do see

an SDK being released hopefully tuesday the 26th or at least some mention of it by the end of the month

games

I hope for

increased security, like the ability to lock contacts, or cal. and or certain photo directories under a passlock, instead of locking the entire device, which is enough security right now to brick it if it gets stolen...

disk storage,

syncable notes and .txt support larger than 64k

wallpaper/backgrounds, but it may be crippled initially, a good revenue source for them?

file search functionality

coverflow for movies

coverflow for Contacts

full res. photographs, or the ability to turn off the optimization of them because it shrinks them which limits the ability to put high res. maps, such as Topo maps on the device...which i would like...

and there are plenty of other things, but they have all been talked about in previous discussions...thats my 17 cents

17. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

So I completely agree that they should allow backgrounds. In fact this would be seemingly simple to implement. And maybe add themes via a 3rd party app. I do not believe at all that this is what would 'stop most people from jailbreaking'. Simply, people jailbreak for the applications. And the wide variety of applications are so awesome, that I can only hope the SDK makes it an easy, non-hackish port.

I think the wi-fi/airplane mode idea would be awesome, but slightly pointless...it won't join an open network unless you ask it to.

Notes sync BETTER be included. Or rather, to-do app for my ical events. Oh and why would it be so hard for ical to have colorful support?

==========

I expect 1.1.4 to bring us:
    -- SDK implementation
    -- Two new iPod touch games to "show it off" for 1.99 each
    -- Ability to buy apps directly from the touch via the iTunes wi-fi store

That's it. From there we won't see an update forever.

18. mekopolis macrumors regular

i would think 4.99 is more consistant..but i wont complain either way

and i completly forgot about that....buying apps directly via wifi, and videos, podcasts, and more would be much welcomed as well

i hope we aren't over estimating what the sdk will bring...

19. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

under 1.1.3, you can't open safari webpages more than 8. I hope 1.1.4 will solve that problems. 1.1.4 also will have cache feature just like normal safari. so offline, you can open previous website without internet.

I also want to see ramdom wallpaper changing in period of time just like mac os x. if you set random changing like one day or one hour, then background will be changed automatically.

big thing is enable to play flash.

of course, like apple sells 5 apps through itunes store, 3rd apps will be supplied. some of them will be free. some of them will be paid.

finally, we will see some games, and streaming podcast or downloading without mac or PC.

20. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

I would love to see Flash support but with the option to disable it when not needed

Also ,but probably unlikely, I would like a full Finder/System access like MacOSX and Disk mode. The hardware is capable it's just Apple reigning in control where it's not needed- just make the mobileOSX as open as your desktop product then your iPhone/Touch can realise their full potential.

Someone mentioned USB host facility- I for one would love this to happen. Along with Apple releasing a version of internet connect-then I'd then be able to plug my USB HSDPA modem into my iPod Touch and have 3G HSDPA wherever I go. Not sure how much it would affect the battery life but it couldn't be any worse than using wi-fi.

The ability to use the iPhone/Touch as a remote to control AppleTV, Mac, iTunes etc- they have the power and connectivity to be the final piece in Apple's 'Digital Hub' jigsaw

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You CAN use the iPod touch or iPhone as a remote for iTunes for free without jailbreaking. Just check out Telekinesis on Google Code. It works very well too.

22. wizard macrumors 68040

I don't think that would lead to very happy customers. People are already demonstrating that they expect the software flexibility of a computer. In a nut shell that is what Touch and iPhone are.

Now I would expect that newer variants of Touch with more robust hardware will support software that the original won't but that would be purely a case of having the right hardware in place.
    Well the $20 charge is very much an accounting deal. However if you don't think a good portion of that $20 ends up being profit for Apple then you need to look closely at what is happening here. 1. The software already exists. 2. The distribution is over the net. 3. The $$$$$ transactions are handled over the net. 4. There was a proven demand for the software.

In other words Apple is selling something it already had, to people whom have demonstrated a need for it and are using the lowest cost method possible to get the software to those people. I'd say there s a lot fo profit to be had in the $20 for the Touch upgrade.
    The Touch has already shown that the owners are not willing to put up with Apples artificial constraints on their devices. Besides that the extra value in the iPhone comes from its cell hardware and Bluetooth.
    god I hope not! I'm really hoping that Apple starts to better grasp just what the users expect form their devices. I see solid signs that Apple has at least started to lean a bit in favor of the user as they have re-christened the Touch as an internet tablet. In any event if they screw up to much there is always Nokia and the other tablet manufactures.
    Dave

23. wizard macrumors 68040

Spaz if you believe what you wrote above then I don't think you have been paying attention. Much of Mobile SO and the apps have been reworked. The apps for the most part now run in user space instead of root. Further a lot of bugs have been worked out.

Now this doesn't mean we find the current OS acceptable, it just means they have put a lot of work into it.
    The background image is not a big deal. They could add that to any update. The only thing that I'm trying to express here is that this is not the sort of thing worthy of an update on its own.
    Actually this is a good point. Apple doesn't seem to have come to grips with Mobile OS as a product yet. I'm not even sure they grasp the idea that it is a platform. This is one reason I'm waiting on the SDK, I want to see how Apple views Mobile OS and the development community. Right now it is as if they wanted the visual impact of a smart phone with the controls or lack of access of a dumb phone. Sad really considering how powerful iPhone is.
    Well hopefully in a couple of weeks this will all be cleared up. You are right in that they need to concentrate on Mobile OS and the capabilities it offers. Yeah they need to distinguish between the device capabilities but only inn the sense that one devices extends Mobile OS in a way based on its hardware.

Dave

24. wizard macrumors 68040

While caching is nice I'd like to see the ability to save web pages offered to the user. This would allow the user to organize pages that are important to him and access them where ever he goes. Of course file system access is needed, with such HTML files can also be stored.

Why would one like to do such. Simple really to get on hand things like documentation that comes in HTML format. This would be especially useful when you are constantly out of RF touch in any manner. Sure this is a justification for technical users but I could imagine others with the same needs.
    As mentioned else where this is all well and dandy but I don't think it justifies a update just for this feature.
    Right now it certainly is a big thing. I'm afraid though that Apple may simply wait for the next HTML standard to take root and support embedded movies that way. This is certainly the low memory approach. This won't help with sights that use flash in a none video player mode but it should work nicely with movies form sights like CNN. That of course assuming that CNN moves quickly to support the new HTML standards.
    If there is one thing that Apple really should get a handle on it is the installer apps seen in Linux. If there is one thing about Linux I like it is their approach to installing software. Quick, easy and reliable software installs

Dave

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

YOU CAN MOVE THE ICONS!

Press down on an icon, keep pressing, and then they will all start to wiggle. Then just move them around, when you're done press the home button.

I would like to see coverflow turned off. I could care less about it and its annoying when it accidentally engages.