The next decade's sports dynasties? What's your guess?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 24, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Who will rule in baseball, NFL, NHL, NBA, soccer (football), college sports overall, or any other sport of your choice?

For one overlooked sport, skateboarding, I say the 2010s will belong to Ryan Sheckler. Baseball will belong to the Yankees (again), football to NFC and AFC South teams, and you know who will still be a great swimmer. :)

Who do you predict?

2. 7254278 macrumors 68020

The Knicks in basketball, due to finally getting under the cap and having great resources,

Maybe the OKC thunder, because they have a young team FULL of superstar potential and lots of cap space. Look at the future stars. Durant, Westbrook, Green, Petro. And they are pretty much guaranteed another high draft pick this year.

But im still a knicks fan lol.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that college football will belong to Michigan in 2010. :D

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Minnesota Twins for baseball. They have their outfield set for another 10 years, they have the rotation set for another 5 years, and we are full of young talent. Yankees can spend all the money they want, they can't touch our farm system.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Dream on... ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ryan Sheckler is pretty good. NFL- Probably NFC East still (Go Skinz). NBA- East

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

After this year, I can only wish.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Those two NBA picks by Mr. Notorious BIG avatar (Patmian) are, no offense, awful. The Knicks might be, but ONLY if they get LeBron or Wade. Even so, the Knicks have never had a dynasty. I don't know why LeBron keeps saying NY is the basketball mecca. Outside of Rucker Park and the EBC, NY has never had any real NBA dynasties. Everyone knows that LA and Boston are the two basketball meccas.

As for the Thunder, not in the next ten years. Durant does not have superstar potential. Westbrook does not have superstar potential. They are so trash.

As to more realistic guesses, the Portland Trailblazers are one of the only really young teams that actually have a chance at this point. The Grizzlies, if they pick someone up have some good potential with OJ Mayo, Rudy Gay, and Marc Gasol. Huge, free-agent acquisitions could change the above of course.

As for college football, I think everyone knows it will be USC. Seven straight BCS bowl games and not looking to slow down any time soon. Top notch recruiting combined with top notch coaching = a football team that has high expectations every year. You know you're good when you win BCS bowls in reloading years.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Dynasties are really hard to come by these days... because of free agency

Boston seems to be doing pretty well :rolleyes:
    Celtics
    Red Sox
    Patriots

But the next decade?
    We will probably be surprised by someone

Look out for the Falcons
    They finally have an owner, a GM and a coach
    They appear to have a franchise QB and a running back

If they can build on the OL and DL, they will be a force

Of course, they have to put together back to back winning seasons for the first time in their history :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Simon will dominate Numberwang (yes, numberwang is definitely a sport).

11. 7254278 macrumors 68020

I definitely agree with what you said about the Trail Blazers and Grizzlies. However I do not understand how you can honestly believe Durant and Westbrook are trash. Durant is putting up insane numbers and is very young and Westbrook is playing above all expectations. I still maintain that with some experience and this years pic they could go far.

As for what I said about the Knicks, it is true we do need lebron or wade. However new york might not be THE mecca but it is A mecca of basketball. EVERYONE wants to play in Madison Square Garden, and New York City is very appealing, all that mixed in with the Knicks resources I dont see how we CANT become a contender very very soon. We just need the management to keep heading in the right direction.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Durant is putting up some good numbers this year. I just don't see how he can really improve on how he is right now. He doesn't have the speed, athleticism, or creativity that people like Wade, Kobe, LeBron have. He has a good jump shot and three point shot, but that's his ceiling. What more do you see him doing? Seriously.

As for Westbrook. I admit I'm biased because he went to UCLA (I'm a Trojan). He'll be good, no doubt, but I just don't see superstar potential in him.

It's a mecca of street basketball, not professional basketball.

We'll see. I hope you get better; I love the style of basketball Mike D'Antoni gets his teams to play. It's exciting. That and I hate the Celtics.

13. rumourguy macrumors member

the Yankees will but many championships this decade, on paper they look un-freaking-stoppable sorry minny fan but they are gonna be too good

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

NCAA Football: Wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska becomes a powerhouse once again

NCAA Bball: Kansas will continue to stay very strong. Expect more Big 12 nat champions (cant believe there has not been a big 12 ncaa champion until last year)

MLB: Red Sox

NFL: Packers and Broncos to me are very promising

NBA: Celtics and cavs in east, lakers and nuggets in west

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It would surprise me
    We are talking about the next decade, not the distant future ;)

Are you kidding me?? Have you seen them lately??
    You do know Favre went to the Jets, right?
    And that the Broncos have completely blown the gawdawful AFC west?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You left out the Bruins.. currently the best team in the NHL. They're also one of the youngest and should be around for quite a while. The Red Sox are also built for the future due to them having one of the best farm systems in the league.

Celtics and Patriots have about 3-4 years left in their current windows.

Overall, sports are way too fluid and hard to predict. Just a year ago, the Rays were the worst team in baseball and had never had a season with a winning record. This past season, they won the toughest division in baseball, beat the defending champions in a 7 game ALCS, and made it to the World Series. Before the season started, everyone knew the Rays had the best farm system in baseball, but nobody knew that they would be that good that fast. Personally, I thought they were still about 2-3 years away. It just shows how much one year changes everything.

Two years ago the Boston Celtics were one of the worst teams in the NBA. At one point, they lost 18 straight games. Then the draft came, and they got the worst possible pick in the draft lottery. Everyone thought that they were going nowhere, and then out of nowhere, they trade for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. Allen and KG come in and lead the Celtics to a 66-16 record and their first NBA championship in 22 years. They improved their record by 42 wins over the previous season (66-16 vs 24-58).

Last season the Miami Dolphins went 1-15, one of the worst seasons in the history of the NFL. They made changes in the front office and brought in a few new guys, and now they're 10-5 and in first place in the AFC East. If they win on Sunday, they'll make the playoffs.

Basically, my point is, there's no real way you can predict what's going to happen in sports next year, let alone for the entire decade. Who would have thought in 1999 or 2000 that the Patriots would win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, or that the Red Sox would finally overcome their 86 year "curse" to win the 2004 World Series?

The great thing about sports is the fact that they are so unpredictable. They always keep us on the edges of our seats, and that's why they're so much fun to watch and follow. If we could tell who the next decade's dynasties were going to be, then it would just be boring.

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

At least in the NFL, I know these teams have a chance to be great for a while:

New England Patriots
    New York Giants
    Pittsburgh Steelers

The reason is simple: they're well-coached teams that can play well in cold weather, especially in December and January. The Cleveland Browns can be another potentially good team if they can find the right general manager and coach.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha just watch. Pelini has a good thing going on. 8-4 in his first year. Last year they went 5-7 with Callihan. You should like Pelini MacDawg, being that he was with LSU for a couple years lol

The broncos are just inconsistent. when they are on, they are scary good. I like what Ive seen from Rogers in his first year

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

He is going to have a tough go of it... but at least he is in the North with Missouri, Kansas and Colorado instead of the South with Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. We shall see how it goes for him. He seems to have embraced the 'culture' unlike his predecessor. I would actually like to see a resurgence of the Cornhuskers.

I like Cutler (Vandy), but the Broncos are just silly inconsistent
    Hardly the stuff that makes a dynasty ;)

I don't think Rogers is the answer for the Pack
    But I am not sure anyone would have been following Favre
    They will struggle for a while now I am afraid

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The Rays will be a force for the next few years.
    The NY Giants have some young talent and a maturing QB.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Look in your rear view mirror
    The object that is closer than it appears is the Falcons

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think India and South Africa, possibly England too will dominate cricket for the next 10 years as a now depleted Australia re-build their ranks.

I think we'll see a resurgent Wallabies in the rugby but I don't think it'll ever be a dynasty.

Manly in the rugby league.

23. mach42006 macrumors member

I'm with you there. I'm a student at Michigan, and this fall was brutal. I think our transition period ends in 2010, and we will see Michigan back in contention year after year. Look out for Michigan's basketball team as well. They have miles to go before they're in contention year after year, but the start they have had this season sure does spark some excitement.

As far as MLB goes, I think if their performance lives up to their pocketbook, the Yankees will make many trips to the World Series in the next decade. Heck, they just spend nearly a half a billion dollars on 3 players. Salary cap, anyone?

24. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Agreed 100%.

Between the Super Bowl coming up in approx. a month up through the 2019 season, 12 seasons in all, I predict six of the Super Bowls in that time span will belong to NFL South teams, such as said Falcons (1 ring at least), Panthers (1), Bucs (1), Saints (possible to at least attend Super Bowl), Colts (one more left in Peyton), Titans (1 ring at least). As a region of the country, these teams either have talent left, or talent in the making that will make that region of the country look like the East Coast is to baseball these last 15 years with Mets, Phillies, Yankees, and Red Sox all going to World Series as a short list.

The '80s was a stunning time for NFL West teams like Niners, Raiders (of both Oakland and LA), Broncos, and San Diego. Any given year there was a possible ring for an NFC or AFC West team. NFL Football was a Wild West thing as Lott, Craig, Elway, Montana, Rice, Clark, Young, Plunkett, Flores, and Walsh will prove. Well that supreme dominance of six rings in a short period of time will happen from now for the next ten or so years with the southern division teams.

Of course, in football, besides the NFL west teams in the '80s, other decades had midwestern region teams (Vikes, GB, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland) and NFL east teams (Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Bills, Steelers, Patriots) had their big heydays, too. It's long overdue now for the southern quadrant of this country to pull it together. Oh yeah, MacDawg, check out my signature below...this is the start of the southern region teams and a possible decade long dominance in the NFL. But of course, trades and injuries can make this all mute. Heck, even great coaches play musical chairs.

As to the theory of the Browns doing well, they have a multi-billionaire as a part owner as well as a lot of dot.com billionaires who pumped money into that organization. Another team, who said could never exist and get off the ground had little talent, but "computer industry" money from that stupid micro computer town called San Jose (and surrounding cities) and that team became the San Jose Sharks. San Jose, isn't it always sunny there? Money can do amazing things. NHL said, "No, we don't need another expansion team, especially from San Jose of all places, see you in court, you petty upstarts!" San Jose region said, "OK, see you there too, with the entire Harvard and Yale law alums who we can double puny NY salaries, and see you soon with a San Jose "hockey" team." :)

Moral of the story, don't underestimate a group of owners and backers with UNLIMITED funds. The Browns will eventually rise to its Bernie Kosar greatness and money will be the point of that sword. If not more than one ring, several Super Bowl appearances in the future.

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Are you serious?