The next French President: It's not LePen, it's Barack Obama?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Feb 28, 2017.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It could happen.... in a strange parallel universe where it also rains donuts.

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Well, we are living in a bizarre parallel universe now, where it's possible that a reality TV clownish Twitter-warrior could become POTUS.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Don't think it would surprise me at all.

Not sure anything could surprise me given the last 9 months of US politics.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

and guess what? They're healthy!

6. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

Who's healthy? The French? The donuts? Or the french donuts? Fronuts.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]

They can have him, no take backs though.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That seems roughly the sentiments of the mostly yahoo types who post to Yahoo news pieces, except there's far less self-moderation of comments posted to Yahoo...

I think it's a cool idea. Obama would make a great prez of France although I'd rather he'd stay stateside. I wonder who the "four 30-somethings" are who came up with the petition. Four former ambassadors to European countries?? :D After all, they were all made to depart their posts upon Trump's inauguration, unlike what usually happens with ambassadorships when they stay until replacement is appointed, so these Obama appointees have had some time to hang out in Paris while hunting their next job.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Fronuts what a great name for a food product!

10. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Um, exactly how many French folks want this?

I say this because I saw a graph a few weeks ago of the different countries around the world, and how the folks in those countries view the direction of their country (Satisfied/Not satisfied). You know who was at the bottom? I couldn't believe it. France. Ninety percent of their population isn't satisfied with the direction of the country. Ninety percent! And if there is truth to what I saw, then I doubt very many of that ninety percent would want Barack Obama as president.

I myself am curious to see what happens with Le Pen. She seems to be carry the "populist" vote. Quite similar to Donald Trump. Will France reject the status quo too?

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I am not an expert of French politics, so mine is just speculation "for fun", but from what I read Le Pen has a decent chance to win. It seems that most French are not happy. I do wonder if we have the tory effect as it happened with Trump, with polls skewed towards the left mainly because people didn't want to reveal their true intentions.

12. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

You might be right. Those polls comparing Donald and Hillary appeared very bad for Donald. And how many of those polls can even be trusted? I'm not one of those "FAKE NEWS!" people (though fake news is totally real; has been for a while), but if you exclusively read the news prior to our election here in the states, you'd have certainly thought that Donald wasn't going to win. It's when you dig deeper that you begin to find the real opinions of a country's citizens.

Ignorant me (not really knowing French politics nor the global repercussions of multiple populist leaders) would like to see Marine Le Pen win the presidency. I look at it as another kick in the jaw to the establishment and the elite. First Brexit, then Donald Trump, and now Marine Le Pen. It sort of feels like the people are taking back what's theirs. You know? Viva Democracy!

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The Brexit voters, and followers of either Donald Trump or Marine LePen may not really be fans of democracy. Some of the people in all those groups entertain xenophobic outlooks rather than working to accept what are our real problems and help find solutions for them. Xenophobia doesn't solve problems. A focus on what's different about us --rather than on what our common bonds are-- just makes problems look bigger than they are.

We live in a world that has long since changed up what "job" means, even though for awhile we overlooked this by shipping jobs to cheaper venues as far as labor and costs of mitigating pollutants and other hazards of manufacturing are concerned.

Well now even third world countries grapple with not only those issues but the ones we have retained in developed countries as well: what to do with a workforce that is not trained up in the technologies that ever more rapidly absorb need for human workers? How to sustain people not working? How to pay for education, healthcare, retirement when there are not enough good jobs to underwrite their costs either directly or via taxation?

How to deal with refugees from a war zone? For my money, certainly not by assuming those feeling are terrorists.

It's really easy to blame any or all of those problems on too many "other" people crowding up to the table. It's a lot of work to focus on how to change societal attitudes in a way that favors the human race continuing to advance its own agenda --the basic one, of survival-- while at the same time preserving the advancements it's already made in defining that agenda.

We have come a long way but it's going backwards to start excluding "the other" just because we think someone else is reponsible for the state of our world as we view it. For one thing, our view may have been colored by other people to start with. For another thing, we ourselves are responsible for how we and our own family interact with the rest of the world. For a third, who starts a war is one person, who flees one is a refugee deserving of shelter.

Why is it that we can live and work elbow to elbow for long periods of time but suddenly the guy over there is "the enemy"? Who said that, anyway? Why is he or she correct in making that assessment? How is that assessment an extrapolation from some personal observation? Is it valid for me, for you?

We don't ask enough questions before we get on board a bus sometimes if you ask me.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It has nothing to do with xenophobia and everything to do with globalism/one world government type. You can have globalism, i.e. international trade and ideas without giving up your sovereignty. There is nothing wrong with saying and acting upon U.K., France, Germany, U.S. first. Saying that you should take care of your own country first isn't hate mongering, it's about basic survival. A parallel would be on an aircraft that's lost cabin pressure you put on your mask first and then the persons next to you. You can't save anyone if you can't do what you have to do to save yourself.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

yeah, the #notmypresident / #notmybrexit are really for democracy by not accepting the results of the elections.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm pretty sure the families of two Indian nationals in Kansas would beg to differ with you.

BL.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm pretty sure that's because of one idiot, not a nationwide movement. But, please feel free to broad brush.

19. CaptMurdock, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Unintended irony? Right this way, please.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're going to have to highlight it for me. The actions of one moron that acted against minorities does not define an entire country.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And the father and daughter on a recent United Airlines flight who asked a man whom they thought "looked of middle eastern descent" if they had a bomb onboard the plane.

BL.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

23. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I underlined. Good enough?

24. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

While I disagree, I enjoyed reading your post. I hear what you're saying. Thanks for taking the time to share. :)