The next great social debate ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 12, 2012.

?

Euthanasia?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Don't Know

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Euthanasia.

Looks like it's still a legal rarity. But I think we sould consider it for the following reasons.
    1. It's compassionate. Giving the individual the right to avoid the suffering of a lingering death can spare people from suffering.
    2. It's fiscally conservative. Reducing end of life care should save a tremendous amount of healthcare costs

Provided we can reasonably insure that nobody is coerced into it, and that the decision is made freely, isn't it time we allowed consenting adults to end their lives when they choose?

2. 184550 Guest

3. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Apart from the fiscal aspect, the strain it puts on the family and friends of the patient is massive. My father has recently passed on after being in an hospice for just a few weeks. The palliative care that he received and the great care and respect he was shown was wonderful. He was in a comatose state for a couple of days. and it was as if he knew it was time he became lucid and said hello and then slipped away. I have the utmost admiration for the Masonic Home and the hospice carers.

My youngest brother had died of cancer the previous year. He knew that he'd not recover and simply stopped eating and drinking. His wife and girls had just arrived to stay with him and and as if he'd been waiting for them he passed on.

The care and consideration that is shown to cancer patients is wonderful. There is the 'do not resuscitate' orders that can be given as well as a 'living testament' but the next step will be euthanasia. Of this I am certain. I would like that option to be available to me when my time comes.

KGB:)

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

If I'm dying of cancer or another sickness were treatment won't help, I would prefer just for my family to let me die in peace. But I wouldn't like performing an euthanasia. Receiving all the care for reducing the pain and suffering is OK, but I just don't like the idea of intentionally killing myself. I would prefer dying naturally and giving one last fight to stay alive.

The only thing I don't like is when people get attached to so many devices just for the sake of staying alive. If they are needed to eventually get better it's OK, but if you need them to stay alive and they completely impair your life I guess people should have the choice to decide if they want to keep them or not.

But that aside, I don't like the idea of hospitals or clinics giving the service of euthanasia. I think in the end many people will end up dying when they could still have a real chance of survival. When you are gravely sick and many times also depressed, you don't normally make the best decisions.

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Unfortunately, not even remotely funny.

KGB:(

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Really sorry to hear that, hope you're holding up well :(

I can laugh about anything, if it's witty... that's rubbish though, probably just made to offend.

------------

Brits have been fighting for the right to end life in court for years now, and the cases are always heart-breaking, often seemingly torturous. Judges simply won't interpret our human rights in a way that will allow it. We'll need new legislation to do it.

At present we have to travel to Holland to end our lives. My own family and myself have always been clear that we don't want to be kept alive in a vegetative state.

Like a lot of things, taking them to extremes has repugnant consequences, being humane is no different.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've always felt similarly to Hunter S Thompson on the matter, in that I'd feel intensely uncomfortable if at any point I felt like I could not commit suicide at any moment.

Given that, as much of an ethical minefield as the issue is I feel one should extend that privilege to those who are unable to end their own suffering at their own hands. To force those in such pain to live seems like a crime worse than murder.

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

A "Comedian" I know has come up with worse.

That just comes off as Psychopathic. @_@

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Some of you guys have never watched robot chicken I guess.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Robot Chicken has always sucked.

British Comedy at its worst is better.

13. VulchR, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My family took care of my grandfather, mother, and my father before they died. On the basis of those experiences I believe there comes a stage in life for most people in which the benefits of prolonging life are massively outweighed by the costs of having a hellish quality of life. Typically, the family and physicians are informed by the patient when this point is reached (as in, 'please let me die now').

We euthanize animals for humane reasons, without any possibility of determining their true wishes. They are given an overdose of barbiturates, go to sleep and simply never wake up. Why can't we offer the same release for humans patients who expressly wish for it?

As I write this I await a diagnosis that could confirm that I have particularly nasty form of cancer (there is a very low chance of this). Hopefully, the diagnosis will be clear. However, if I do have cancer, I will try the treatments, but there are certain indignities I would not tolerate having seen the older generations in my family suffer. Thus, I would chose to have my life humanely ended, but this is illegal and would result in criminal prosecution of any persons involved and also nullify of my life insurance policy. To me this seems to be the ultimate denial of the most personal and important form of freedom, and I cannot for the life me understand how some people believe a blanket ban on euthanasia is morally right.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

[​IMG]

15. MorphingDragon, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No, British Comedy takes Nuance and can be discussed at a cultural level, therefore instantly better. Robot Chicken is flashy and engaging when you're watching it, but there's nothing there once its gone.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, I have and yet still, it wasn't funny. /shrug

I'd like the option myself. It sounds selfish, but I wouldn't mind having the option if were dying a slow death.