The next iPhone and Verizon...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoraoTX, Aug 10, 2012.

1. LoraoTX macrumors member

Is it safe to say that with the release of the new iPhone this year, users on the Verizon network still wont be able to use voice+data simultaneously? I'm thinking of switching to Verizon but having this feature is quite handy... Can you guys shine a light on the subject ;)

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the new iPhone is LTE, then this can happen.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Assuming the battery life using LTE is sufficient to use the majority of the time...

And Assuming you are in an area that supports LTE...

4. LoraoTX thread starter macrumors member

I asked because I don't really know all the technical aspects as to why the 4s on Verizon isn't capable.. :(

Thanks!

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It's because of Verizon's CDMA compared to GSM. That's all I know. Specifics, I don't know for sure.

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

The answer is only yes if you're on LTE. If your signal reverts to 3G, then no, because CDMA technology can't handle voice and data in itself. Unless you're on wifi of course :) then everything is cool

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Just a heads up about switching (and sorry if this goes off your original question about simultaneous voice and data).

I switched to Verizon last year. Their voice/3G network in my area was rock-solid. However, over the last year, the speed of data on their 3G network here has gone from "slow, but bearable" (from the viewpoint of someone that just switched from AT&T) to "amazingly slow, and sometimes unusable". It's not unusual to have any of my weather radar apps, Google Maps, Zite, Flipboard, USA Today, etc "time out" when refreshing data.

Verizon offers LTE coverage in my area. However, their LTE network here is nowhere near as robust as their voice/3G network. I know that it's still a "work in progress", and will get better, but as often as my LTE iPad is either on LTE, but getting 3mbps or slower data speeds, or fails back to the 3G network, ... I'm very wary about sticking with Verizon when the next iPhone comes out.

Service in your area is likely to be different. If you do switch, I'd just recommend that you really use the heck out of their service during the 14 days they give you to cancel without a penalty. If the service I get from them today was the same service I got when I ported over a year ago, I would have canceled without thinking twice.

8. LoraoTX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input! I'm in the NYC area and here LTE is pretty good.. My new iPad is with Verizon and the only reason I want to switch is because I want to consolidate all in 1 family shared plan (together with my wife's phone)

I like the speeds I get here with Verizon BUT didn't want to make the switch because their network doesn't offer the voice+date.. And although I can do it on a Wifi, its not the same.

Thanks!

9. andross77 macrumors regular

To the OP, yes if the new iphone has LTE and you are in an LTE area you can do voice + data. I do it right now on my Verizon SGS3 and my wife can do it on her Verizon HTC Inc 4g.

I have another question on the Verizon iphone coming out next month: Will you be able to use the Mobile Hotspot feature? I thought I read somewhere that iphone on verizon (whether it's the 4 or 4s) doesn't allow people to use the mobile hotspot feature. If that was the case, i will have no consideration for it. But if it can just like my SGS3, I will definitely give it another look when it's announced. Thanks!

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

You can do voice and data on 3g if the phone supports svdo. I my galaxy s3 can surf and talk on 3g.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I know AT&T is offering shared data soon as well and the pricing is similar (though not quite the same so don't know how it compares depending on what you need) so if that is the only reason you want to switch and you are happy with AT&T, you may get pretty much the same pricing with AT&T.

12. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

Exactly how I feel. Switching to Verizon was a huge mistake that I regret.

If I get the new iPhone this year I am most likely opening another account with AT&T. Only thing I'm not sure of is if they'll allow me to port my number back to AT&T?

13. syan48306, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Just keep in mind that the next iPhone is going to be a LTE iPhone so 3G speeds and coverage should be a much smaller factor in your decision on a carrier. At the moment, Verizon's LTE coverage is much better than ATT's coverage. Not to mention, according to 3rd party analysis, Verizon's is faster by a couple mbps.

With the new facetime ability over cellular (LTE) and the main browsing experience will be over LTE, that should be your major concern when you're deciding on your carrier in your area. Given, if you have a solid signal for voice over 3G.

That said, have you looked at how ATT's true LTE fairs in your city? Is it even deployed in your city? HSPA+ was proven to be quite a bit faster than Verizon's 3G but even hspa+ can't compete with true 4G LTE. With the iPhone 5 going to be a LTE phone, as long as you get a solid 3G signal for voice, data is going to be sent exclusively over 4G, with the exception of deadspots.

Check this review out: http://gigaom.com/2012/04/14/solving-the-lte-puzzle-comparing-lte-performance/
    It's an average of Verizon vs ATT in 15 markets.

Coverage
    [​IMG]

Full Signal Speeds
    [​IMG]

Real World Averages
    [​IMG]

TL;DR: The iPhone 5 is a LTE device and you should see if ATT or Verizon has better LTE coverage (true LTE not HPSA+) in your area. My bet is probably on Verizon for coverage but ATT for speed, though only time will tell.

14. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I live in the middle of the Mojave desert and there is no where anywhere close that gets LTE =( with Verizon I struggle to get 3G in a lot of places and it's usually three bars max and runs sooo slow. I really regret switching from AT&T. Where I live and where I work now has great AT&T reception. I switched last year because I worked in a vault and had NO reception with AT&T. Sadly less than two months after I switched to verizon I also switched jobs lol I should have just put up with no service between 0630-1500 for two more months!

15. TyShawn macrumors 6502

Sounds like Fort Irwin. I haven't been there in years.

16. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

Lol yeah I work on fort Irwin now, but it was Edwards air force base where I didn't have signal with AT&T.

17. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

There are four Verizon phones that can do simultaneous voice and data over 3G, as they support SVDO. Those models are the HTC Thunderbolt, Rezound, Incredible 4G, and the Samsung Galaxy S3. I have owned three of them and tested the fourth. SVDO works great.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Thanks for the incite, but there are two other things you need to consider. The first thing is where you live. It does not matter how good the LTE coverage is for a certain company if you don't do a lot of traveling. For instance, Austin has AT&T and Verizon, so either works.

More importantly, remember the speed numbers for the LTE networks are pre-iPhone. This could be a big deal because the iPhone will likely be the biggest single phone type on the LTE spectrum. I would expect that AT&T will take a bigger hit from LTE iPhone, but I can't say with any certainty. This is me talking without any real knowledge of how an LTE spectrum handles increased capacity.

19. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

This and $30 for a single GB of data are the sole reasons why I'm still with AT&T.