The next iPhone has to have more that just a new screen...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kfergiez, May 30, 2012.

?

What will make you upgrade?

1. I will upgrade for just the new screen

39 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I will upgrade for just LTE

37 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. There has to be something pretty special other than a new screen and LTE to make me upgrade

58 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. I don't care, I just want to have the new iPhone

61 vote(s)
    29.3%
  5. I don't care, I'm happy with my current iPhone.

32 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Screw it, I'm going android.

31 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I have an iP4, and this next iPhone has to have more than just a new screen and LTE to sell me on it.

The problem is that I'm happy with the speed of 3G. Even when I tether to my laptop, the speed is just fine. It's not like I'm downloading huge files from torrents.

The next problem is that if it's just a new taller screen, it's just not a huge of a difference to me. I'm sure the processing power will increase, but I can just upgrade to the 4S and call it done.

The third problem is that I still have Verizon unlimited data and if I upgrade to a LTE phone when the new iPhone comes out, I'll lose my unlimited data.

The iP4/4S will be able to upgrade to iOS6 and have most if not all of the functionality, unless apple restricts new features to the new phone like Siri on the 4S.

All in all, the next iPhone will have to have some pretty heavy duty hardware upgrades to sell me on it.

How about you?

2. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

3. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

What can they add to the new iPhone that we don't already have though?

---Nobody cares about rearranging the existing stuff. (Moving the camera or headphone jack around - lol yay?)

---Nobody cares about smaller connector sockets (in fact, some people hate that idea due to incompatibility with exiting accessories)

---The 4S has great cameras already. All they can do is bump it up to 10 Megapixels, but going from 8 to 10 is not that big of a leap and just eats more drive space.

And whatever they add to iOS 6 will most likely work with the 4S too.

So that leaves stuff like:

1. Quad-Core CPU - but do we really need a quad-core CPU for the iPhone? Will developers besides EPIC actually make apps that require 4-cores for certain features?

2. Bigger Screen - pretty much the no-brainer upgrade.

3. LTE - 4G. Again, the no-brainer, overdue upgrade.

4. Better battery - this is ALWAYS on the to-do list. But a quad-core CPU + a bigger screen will dig into the battery life right of the bat - leaving you hoping to at least break even with the 4S battery life. In the end, it's not an upgrade unless you can get longer sessions without charging overall.

There are fewer and fewer upgrade paths available for smartphones these days. Now, the software/operating system/user interface is where they need to start getting creative, IMO.

The hardware is pretty much maxed out.

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I have a 3GS. Everything will be an upgrade for me. So I'll buy the new iPhone factory unlocked from the Apple site. Unless they release something ridiculously big of course, but I trust they keep it real.

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

A bigger screen will be nice, as long as the battery life is the same as it is or better.

I am just hoping for LTE for Sprint.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yes other new features will be nice, but for me, a larger screen is all that matters.

I've greatly enjoyed every one of the new iPhones I've owned since #1.

The way the predominant rumors are pointing towards this "narrow" elongated design, it is looking as though this may be what Apple has settled on.

If true, many will celebrate, some may not.

I'll be one to pass, as I've put up with the tiny 3.5" for far too long. Being the exact same width as my 4S it would be crazy to buy based on a stretched display.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

That is false, I guess making your last sentence false as well. Great camera? Yes. Great cameras? No. The FFC is terrible and is an obvious candidate for an upgrade.

For me to upgrade to the next iPhone, it will need to have a larger screen and with it a new shell. I can't beat to death anymore how much I dislike the shape of the phone. And with that, they'll hopefully make better use of the top and bottom bezels instead of blank space taking up half of the device.

I'd love for iOS 6 to allow me more freedom when it comes to the homescreens as well. If the other stuff happens, this isn't a deal breaker. But being bound by their organization dictation annoys the hell out of me. Oh, and notifications still need work. Still intrusive. They just need to completely rip off Androids instead of this half-donkey stuff they put out.

8. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

This is exactly my point. I can't really fathom what they could come up with next without some crazy neural connection that lets you control your electronics with your thoughts alone.

I figure that NFC is very promising, but the infrastructure at many merchants aren't equipped with NFC payments so until it becomes standard, I don't much care about that either.

I don't know. I just don't think that I'd be missing out on much between the next iPhone and the 4S.

9. onlyjjp macrumors member

I'm really hoping it comes with HD front-facing camera. It would be awesome to vlog with! :cool:

10. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

My iPhone 4 still works perfectly and fits my needs. I doubt I'll get the new model. However, it'll be interesting to see what the new iPhone will be like in response to Android models like the Galaxy S III.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

For me, a combination of 1080p video recording, Siri, a better processor, new design and bigger screen would have my money immediately. But then again, I'm coming from a 4 not 4S so it's a bigger difference.

Don't care much for 4G as the UK is lagging way behind. Can't even get reliable coverage of 3G at the moment in rural areas, and the spectrum for 4G hasn't even been auctioned off yet...

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

NFC - The standard response is "people aren't using that enough right now". My response is "Once iPhones have it everyone will be using it".

More RAM - would make browsing multiple web pages really nice. I agree it's a spec that most iPhone users will overlook though.

Battery - Can't do a whole lot more with the current iPhone footprint, but as it gets bigger, so does that battery life.

Processor - Depending on what iOS6 brings to the plate, a faster processor might be nice. But even if not, a faster under clocked processor (read more efficient) would always be welcome. Think better battery life here.

High Res FFC - This could use an improvement. Admittedly, probably not a huge deal for most people. I Skype twice a week with family overseas. A nice camera is very nice.

Siri - One that actually works would be nice. Yes, I know this statement gets overused, but I legitimately get the "I am sorry I can't help you right now" response too frequently. Conservatively I would say 25% of the time, but realistically it's probably a lot closer to 50%. I am not even asking for more tasks than Siri can currently do. I am just asking that Siri be able to do what it was sold to me to do upwards of 90% of the day.

Those are just a few things I can think of that I would be really happy with. Most people seem to be clamoring for a larger screen (I suppose I fall into that category) and LTE. Honestly, LTE isn't that huge a deal for me. I could go either way. The fact that it isn't even worldwide says a lot to me in terms of Apple having to give us something more than just LTE to do well globally.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You should have specified what size screen in your poll. If it's just a virtically stretched 3.5" screen, they can keep it. If it's a proper 4"+ screen, I'm all over it.

14. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Iphone5 has to scream class, beauty and more functionality for me to upgrade.
    Yes a larger screen and faster quad core chip will be a start but it has to be a catchy design. I'm tired of the aluminum most manufacturers are using. Hopefully and most likely Johnny Ive will have a killer design.
    the Iphone4 set the bar pretty high but if anyone can improve on it its going to be Apple.

15. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I understand where you're coming from. But the point of the question isn't really the type of screen (since all we have are speculations at this point), it's that will a larger screen in general be enough for you to upgrade? It sounds that is would be for you.

16. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I'm happy with my iPhone 4S, I'll wait for the iPhone 5S/LTE2/6/whatever it will be called.

17. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

LTE will be the big improvement for me. Don't need a bigger screen and my 4 still runs like a champ. At the end of the day though, I'd get the phone regardless.

18. Axne1 macrumors member

Axne1

I love my iPhone 4 so much, that I'll wait for next years edition... That's if I don't get some blow away cash over here ;)

No 4g where I live but tons of wifi!

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Yep, if it's a proper larger screen. Otherwise I (and I suspect many others) have little reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4.

Using this 3.5" phone feels like I'm living in a cramped apartment.

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'll get whatever is out when my contract is up in December. My 4 still does every thing I need it to do. If I needed the newest model every time it was released, I'd be paying retail half the time. That's a cost I'd rather burden VZW with. :)

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Comming from a gsm only iPhone 4 my upgrade would be .......

Better CPU/GPU
    Siri
    Better camera & Video recording
    Better Data speeds
    GSM and CDMA
    64GB memory
    Bigger screen

Everything I mentioned above except for a bigger screen, is basically the difference between the 4 and 4S. The new iPhone(5) will most likely upgrade some of these a little more, like LTE.

So all that + a bigger screen + what we don't know yet = A definite upgrade for me.

And I'm also due for an upgrade, so it makes sense.

22. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I will only be upgrading if the new iOS is absolutely awesome. They need to come out with some kickass features in order for me to want to stay with iPhone. Otherwise, just a little bit bigger screen is not going to make me want to upgrade from my 4s.

So there is a good possibility i may be moving to Android or WP after this release.

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I would love the new iPhone but seeing as my 4S is mint at the moment and a more than capable device I'll most likely stick with it as I couldn't justify the cost.

24. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

sometimes it seems, at first, that the specs on a new release are not necessary, but then it is up to the developers to make the most of them. I never consider a gadget to be maxed out. It might be more than enough at first, but eventually software catches up.

The screen size is not a deal breaker for me. LTE isn't even really, all though I would not mind either of those enhancements.

I am most looking forward to iOS 6 to be honest. If there is some great new hardware feature that isn't just a screen or LTE than I will upgrade at launch. Otherwise I may sit this one out, it would be the first time.

25. irDigital0l Guest

Besides screen...

1. Thinner and lighter than iPhone 4S

2. 4G LTE

3. FaceTime HD (Increase front facing camera to 2MP)