The next MacBook should come with a touch screen

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Before your roast, I think the MacBook is portable and light enough so that a touch screen would be convenient.

It's like a tablet with keyboard, just 1000 times better IMO bc it has full software support

A touch screen would be super useful IMO

Reactions: ctrlzone

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
But if it's so portable and light it will tip over when you touch the screen. Unless you make it a convertible tablet thing with a detachable screen, which would be an iPad Pro running OSX. People have wanted that for years and it is quite clear that it's not the direction Apple wants to go.

Dhonk

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
But if it's so portable and light it will tip over when you touch the screen. Unless you make it a convertible tablet thing with a detachable screen, which would be an iPad Pro running OSX. People have wanted that for years and it is quite clear that it's not the direction Apple wants to go.
the other day my wife came by and touched my screen when pointing out something. It reminded me of the scene in Men At Work when Sheen/Estevez reaches across the table to take a few of their supervisor/observer’s French fries. His hand is snatched, and he’s told “never ever touch another man’s fries.” That’s how I feel when someone touches my screen. So no, I don’t want a MacBook with touchscreen. I don’t touch my screen, nobody touches my screen.

mbdownunder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I don't think it will ever happen. Apple's answer to this is the iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. Personally, I'm glad my MacBook doesn't have a touchscreen. It's not a feature I want, so the added weight and battery drain would be unwelcome.

Reactions: tranceking26

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Before your roast, I think the MacBook is portable and light enough so that a touch screen would be convenient.
Have you ever used a touch screen laptop?

I have had several over the years. I currently have a maxed out ZenBook Duo. Amazing machine, haven't touched the display more than once or twice, each time accidentally while adjusting the display angle. Touch screen laptops are a nice trick to impress, but have been useless to me.

Reactions: Digger148 and 26139

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Have you ever used a touch screen laptop?

I have had several over the years. I currently have a maxed out ZenBook Duo. Amazing machine, haven't touched the display more than once or twice, each time accidentally while adjusting the display angle. Touch screen laptops are a nice trick to impress, but have been useless to me.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 15” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard that doubles as a MacBook (it might be branded as the latter). Up until now, it hasn’t been practical to produce a Surface-like device because Macs ran on x64 and iPads ran on ARM. I don’t foresee a full merger between iPad and Mac anytime soon, but there is definitely overlap between the two lines (particularly between the iPad Pro and the MacBook Air/13” MacBook Pro).

Reactions: 960design

Madhatter32

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
A touchscreen Macbook Pro makes a lot more sense to me than a non-touchscreen Macbook Pro with a touch bar. I would choose the former all day long but, truth be told, I don't necessarily want either.

tranceking26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I'd rather have no touch screen and no touch bar. If I wanted the touch experience on a bigger screen I'd buy an iPad again.

Reactions: ipponrg

madat42

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
This debate's been around for a while and yet Apple showed off MacOS 11 on ARM running iOS/iPadOS apps running natively, meaning no Rosetta or Catalyst-like layer. That's like Apple daring you to demand a touch screen.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
This debate's been around for a while and yet Apple showed off MacOS 11 on ARM running iOS/iPadOS apps running natively, meaning no Rosetta or Catalyst-like layer. That's like Apple daring you to demand a touch screen.
Sorry I'm not a tech buff. does that mean Apple is more or less likely to for the touch screen?

madat42

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
Seriously, I'm not sure. But they're on that trajectory it seems. If and when they put a touchscreen on the Mac isn't clear yet.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
I think it makes sense for tablets but for a legacy/traditional computer it's no more than a novelty. There's a chance they may cave, like they did with big phones, but I don't think it really makes sense.

Reactions: 26139

Madhatter32

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Apple's decision to add a new control panel in Big Sur that has multi-media controls for the both the volume and screen brightness in the form of sliders (like on the iPad) suggests to me that the new Mac ARM may have touch screen capabilities. The sliders appear big enough to accomodate finger control rather than mouse control solely. If Apple does make a touch screen, I think the odds are pretty good that the silly touch bar on the MBPs will disappear due to its redundancy.

Tolga Balci

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
What if you could download and use any iOS app on your Mac? With the new ARM Macs that could be possible. Most of these apps are optimized for touch though, so touch on a Mac can all of a sudden make a lot of sense.

I have used Windows Laptops with touch and do find occasional uses for the touch screen that are pretty serendipitous. Scrolling to a specific part of a page for example. You don't use it often, but when you need it, it feels very good to be able to.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003

It's like a tablet with keyboard, just 1000 times better IMO bc it has full software support

A touch screen would be super useful IMO
No. Just buy an iPad with a keyboard.

The ergonomics of a touch screen laptop are horrendous.

ascender

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2005
My concern with that is you’d be using an OS which was never designed for touch. Having spent some time with a Windows 2-in-1 device, the user experience is dreadful as you’re using your big finger to try and touch dialogue boxes, icons etc which are designed to be selected by a precision pointing device.

My main machine is now an iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard and I do sometimes touch the screen as it can be more convenient. So I totally get why some people would like to have a 2-in-1, but oither than maybe scrolling with your finger or selecting apps to run, you’d end up having to zoom the screen to get precise input or have a “touch” mode maybe where it switches to an iPad-like GUI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.