The next version of OSX will run all iPhone/iPad apps natively. I'm calling it now.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wikoogle, Mar 2, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm convinced that the next version of OSX will allow you to install and run natively all iPhone and iPad apps, with future screens being touch enabled, and those that aren't let you use the mouse instead of your finger when gesturing.

What do you guys think?

Frankly, I can't wait till I can install and run the facebook app on a MBP, for no reason in particular, just because I can.

2. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Now THAT is a rumor.... I will believe that only when I see it. :rolleyes:

EDIT: now that I think about it... what does this have to do with "MacBook Pro, PowerBook"???

3. apw100 macrumors regular

I don't see it happening in the near term. How would that help Apple? What would be the point?

While it is true that eventually the Mac lines will probably integrate touchscreens and the line between the mobile and desktop OS's will blur, I don't see it happening in the immediate future. Certainly not in the next version of OSX

PS- iPhone/iPad apps can already run on a pc/Mac via emulation.

4. Law213 macrumors newbie

Although I'm tempted to disagree, I think that it does make some sense. Apple is jumping with both feet into the Apps/iTunes world. It would certainly be in keeping with their current trend to attempt to make more and more apps available for more platforms. I could even see in the future, Apple not offering any applications/programs that aren't downloadable. If Stevey is trying to turn his back on non-digital download media, a sensible step would be integrating all of Apple's product offerings to at least one sort of app platform. That being said, I don't think that Apple will want to ignore OSX specific programs (and they realistically cannot at all given the complexity and intensity of high-end software compatible with OSX) for the near or even far future.

In all, I would not be a bit surprised to see Iphone, Ipod, Ipad apps offered to Mac users. I wouldn't be that surprised to see an option to switch between Iphone OS and SL as a way to draw the masses into an easier switch to Mac.

However, I really don't know much about any of this and am pretty much making this up as I go. I do think, however, that Apple will look for ways to integrate their Ipod/pad/phone lineup with their computer offerings as a way to make a transition for run of the mill PC users more palatable. I always think of my mom, an affluent, relatively savvy buyer who has never owned anything but a PC but who in the last 2 years has purchased 3 Ipods, an Iphone and will probably talk herself into an Ipad. For a customer like her, and many others I think, once they get comfortable with the Iphone/padTouch/Pad software would be more likely to switch to a computer with at least the option of that sort of user experience. I may be wrong, but I can imagine Apple wanting to streamline as much as possible. Hell, though, I thought the Ipad would offer a version of OSX switchable to Iphone OS. I figured that it made sense to allow a fast, efficient, streamlined OS along side a more robust, if less efficient alternative so that the user could decide what type of use they need. Shows what I know about anything.

But....I don't see a touchscreen for a laptop without some kind of either 1) detachable screen 2) pivoting and folding screen. Either way, not this time around for the MBP and probably not next time either.

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I don't see why apple would do it. Most apps are essentially crippled & reformatted versions of applications available on a full size computer. Many apps use gps to locate something close by to your nearest location. Many more rely on tilt sensor or swipes to operate. I just don't see it. Your macs resolution is at the minimum 3-4x greater than the iPhone. It wouldn't look good.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

7. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

You all are funny. This already exists, and it's part of the iPhone SDK.

My Early 2008 MBP 17 is running an iPhone app right now.

8. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Ha, I win.

Wikoogle: 1

Rest of Macrumors Users Not Named Law213: 0

Suck it losers! :p

9. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I think that is possible. Applications for the desktop in the App Store would be great.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think Apple may allow iPhone apps to replace widgets. That seems logical.

11. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

Yup. Sorta full circle, eh?

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The most logical thing that Apple can do.

The worst thing they can do is make OS X like the iPhone OS and have an app store. If that happens, It'll be goodbye from me.

13. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Although I don't see the iPhone OS appearing on OS X, I do foresee the app store appearing. I'm willing to take a bet that 10.7 will have an app store. Apple is making too much money off it not to pass up the opportunity.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

15. Law213 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think so too. Some form of app store with some sort of integration onto OS X. Widget replacement makes sense as well.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Show me this special emulation software that allows you to run any iPhone app on the computer desktop. I don't own such a thing and I've never seen such a thing before.

I think it would be cool to run some iPhone apps on a real computer. There's a lot of apps on the App Store that I think (I could use this app on my computer, not on my phone).

Seems like the software for OS X lately has been lacking because all the development is going into iPhone apps... I'd love to be able to run some of those on my computer as well... maybe this will replace dashboard.

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

*FACEPALM* Because it's entirely logical for someone to rewrite every app they want in order to use it on the iPhone simulator...

iPhone simulator does NOT run iPhone apps. It runs iPhone simulator apps. They have to be compiled for the Intel processor against different libraries to run in the simulator. Considering it was mentioned that the posters MBP was running the App I would have assumed he realized that he had to chose the distinction of what binary he was compiling.

What this DOES mean is that Apple could easily allow developers to submit iPhone simulator versions of their apps to the App Store for users to download and run from their computers, but it is not possible to run them yet.

Lenovo has done both of those laptop designs :) But I do tend to agree. A touch screen on a folding laptop or desktop is not quite as convenient as a flat/slate/tablet/iPad device.

18. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Wasn't there an article on the front page of this site just a day or two ago about this very subject?

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

As metioned above in my post. You can not run any iPhone apps! You can develop and run your OWN apps compiled for the simulator!

If I'm wrong show me how you can install an IPA onto your simulator.

EDIT: And you edited your post, haha. It doesn't even say edited though.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, I know about that, but it can't run just any iPhone app. I have to either make my own or run Safari.

21. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Everyone seems to be completely missing that Macs can't 'natively' run iPhone/iPads at all, ever - the Intel CPUs simply can't run iPhone apps, which are compiled for ARM CPUs, without an emulator.

The iPhone simulator doesn't run iPhone apps. It runs apps compiled for Intel that link against an Intel version of the SDK, which Xcode compiles when you build an application for the simulator.

In fact, back in the early days of the SDK Apple was a bit lazy and linked Simulator apps against the Mac OS X version of the Foundation framework. However, the iPhone version is missing a bunch of stuff from the Mac version, so you could be happily run your app in the simulator but when you switched to run on a device, it wouldn't build your app because you're using a load of unavailable classes. It was really annoying!

Anyway, Mac OS X will never natively run iPhone apps because the CPU isn't capable of running them without emulation.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Then emulate it. That's all we're asking for. Just as Intel Macs can run PowerPC code, they should be able to run ARM code too... under emulation of course.

23. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Everyone except the last two posters :)

But... it couldn't run the SAME binary that runs natively on the iPhone, but there is nothing stopping Apple from adding the iPhone Simulator binaries to the IPA files in iTunes. It would then load just the iPhone binary to the phone and when you double click on the app in iTunes it could open the Simulator and load up the Intel binary. This is basically the same way Universal apps work on the Mac right now. The .app, which is just a folder that holds the binaries and info, has a PowerPC binary and Intel binary. They COULD do the same thing. They just don't.

So Apple could do this tomorrow if they really wanted to, but there is no way to do it now.

24. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Well, they'd need to release a new SDK and get all the app developers to re-upload their apps with "Simulator" binaries included, but yes, they could do that.

My main question is: "What's the point?"

The high pixel density of the iPhone's screen means that text on the iPhone is bigger in terms of pixels than text on the Mac to appear the same physical size. If you run apps in the simulator, you'll see that they take up a huge amount of space to show a relatively small amount of information - take a look at the attached screenshot.

[​IMG]

Plus, the iPhone is designed for touch interaction rather than mouse interaction. What does this mean? No scrollbars. No menu bars. No drag-and-drop. No concept of mouse-overs or a mouse pointer. This and a ton of other UI differences mean that iPhone apps will never be at home on Mac OS X.

"Ah, but make a different UI on top!", I hear you cry. Well, if I'm going to do that, I'll just make a Mac app. Many iPhone/Mac app pairs actually share a ton of internal code (mine included) and use platform-specific UI code on top of that.

If you want to make a widget from an iPhone app, use the existing widget framework - it's very powerful and you can do just about anything you can in an iPhone app.

So, yes, it's technically achievable. However, it'll end up with such a crippled compromise that I doubt that perfectionist Apple we all know and love will go for such a thing.

Attached Files:

25. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

that makes no sense.. iPhone apps are designed to be "touched".. why would you use iPhone apps on a OSX? You got widgets.. games are another thing, but in the end, it won't happen too soon..