The NHS and shades of big brother?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not a step to far!

What they need to do is take away a family's right to over rule a persons choice to donate there organs.

I want the opt out system to be standard thought the uk! Your a donor unless u have your medical records updated.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

THIS!!!! :D

(Sorry about that, but it is apt.)

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) The Mengele comparison is inappropriate and inflammatory
    2) I think organ donation should be the default. The opt-in system is insufficient.

5. Happybunny, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

Duly noted and changed.;)

6. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Personally wasn't going to comment under the original question but now it has been re-worded...

Agree with previous poster and would add a third point...

3. Isn't this system already in place in Spain (and the US?) and working well?

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Organs are in short supply. Once a person is totally 'unsave-able' the presumption should be their organs can be donated. I'm not sure why we would even need an opt-out system, what rational grounds are there to opt out?

Provided we still try out best to save people whilst they are alive I see no problem with using their organs if we can't save them.

8. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Not only is it NOT a step too far, it's a step I hoped the UK would take for quite some time now.
    Fact is, people are lazy and some just don't realize they're not donors or may not think to get on the register. However, those that have strong feelings about not wanting to donate can take a few minutes to opt out.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think its an excellent idea and applaud any nation that puts this forward. However, I do see the need for an opt-out, not on rational grounds but on religious. There may be some who see this as a form of desecration or what have you.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really, so women can have control over their bodies and get abortions, but the state has control over our organs? Sounds great.:rolleyes:

I have no problem with changing organ donation from an opt in to an opt out situation, but people still should be allowed to opt out.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Forced opt out instead of voluntary opt in? Keeping people artificially alive to preserve their organs for later harvest? Sounds like something from a Larry Niven novel.

Thankfully it'll never happen in the US.

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I don't see why people want to take their organs with them when they die. They can take whatever they want/need from me, I don't know how other countries/states do it but I have the box checked on the back of my drivers license that they can take my organs.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

In the U.S. we already keep the technically dead on ventilatory support to facilitate viable organ harvesting.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Have there ever been mistakes to the system, where they take a persons organs thinking they are un savable only to find out that they took it from the wrong patient. I can see this happening with a system like this.

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'm quite attached to my organs, as soon as my proverbial bucket has been kicked however, they are good for anyone else who needs them.

Fair enough in my view.

17. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Not if they haven't opted-in. Not against the wishes of their family.

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You can see them harvesting a dead individual's heart and then them coming back to life following the procedure?

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I mean they prononce a person as brain dead then find out hours later that the person wasn't.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

We have delayed death to clarify status with family and give them time to consider donation. But if the patient did not wish to be a donor, or the family refuses, we can pull the plug.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

By the time I finish with my organs, I doubt anyone will want them. That is to say, by the time the mountain lions, bears and coyotes finish with them ...

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So you're questioning if anyone can ever really be pronounced brain dead categorically. Which is a far bigger question that just for organ donation.

If you had a relative pronounced brain dead requiring ventilatory support how long would you continue to animate their body before calling it futile?

23. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Once you are dead you are dead. Simply, whilst someone is treatable their interests should be the only consideration, but once death has occurred they are gone and not coming back. Why can't the body be used no matter what? The person has gone, and I don't see the need to exercise control after death. The body can still be treated with respect, organs could save someone else, family gets the remains.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think this calls for a nice soup, don't you? :p

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? Just disregard the person's wishes or the family wishes and take the organs? Why stop there? Why not take all of their money and possessions as well? Why you die, the government takes it all!:rolleyes: