The Nike and the Sport are now the same price!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Luba, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I think the AW2 Nike costs a bit more than the regular aluminum AW2, correct?

The Nike AW has all the regular faces plus the Nike faces, so in that regard it's a better AW. More watch face choices. As long as you like the Nike bands (which I think are better with the holes . . . it's not as hot to wear a watch in the summer with a Nike band), then there's no downside to buying the Nike AW, correct?

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Incorrect. Always the same price.

3. Luba thread starter macrumors 65816

Luba

Ok … how many more faces (Nike) do you guys get over the regular AW faces.

4. iPhoney Baloney macrumors member

iPhoney Baloney

I thought I read somewhere that iOS 4 was going to include the Nike faces.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they did that why have a nike edition?

There's really no reason to select the Nike version other then getting the watch faces. Btw, I ordered the Nike watch myself.

6. mk313 macrumors 6502a

There's also the Nike specific bands as well, which are great for working out. You can buy some of them separately but that's another $50. Also the Nike version has Siri links to the Nike app that I specific to that watch. You can say 'let's go for a run' and it will open the Nike app and start a run. I don't think that works on the normal Apple Watch with the Nike app downloaded later

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can buy them separately. I know when the Nike watch first hit the streets, that was one of the exclusive items you got. I think apple seeing the third party sales and even the resale of the nike bands on ebay and they wanted a piece of that action and opened up the sales to everyone. That's good and bad, so now there's less product difference between the nike watch and the regular. Thankfully the price is the same so its not a huge deal :)

8. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Some colors of the Nike bands have only been released as part of a Nike plus watch. Many have been released seperately as well but those add another $50 to the cost of the watch then. I agree you can get them but if you're interested in one of those bands to begin with, that works of be a reason to buy the Nike watch over the regular sport model.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One reason I opted for the Nike over the sport, was due to the staggered release. If I see some major complaints about battery life (thanks to the LTE radio), then I can cancel and re-evaluate my purchase decisions.

I am still surprised by apple still offering a nike version given there's really little difference between the two models.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

All this. I'll never use the Nike app (unless they decide to add in treadmill shuffling). I wanted a grey case with LTE and a sport loop. Nike had all those.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there weren't some money changing hands to encourage Apple to have a Nike+ version in the lineup. :)

12. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Good point on the battery life. That makes a lot of sense.

I think that the partnership with Nike makes a lot of sense with their push to make this a fitness watch. Partnering with the world's largest sports company is a lot less expensive than competing against them. Nike could have released their own watch, or partnered with Google, Garmin, Suunto, Tom Tom or whoever to offer a competing device. Putting Apple & Nike together really creates a juggernaut that helps to establish their system as (one of) the fitness watch standards.