Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I do get the feeling the VC will be handled differently on the Switch so it's not ready to be shared with us yet. Either way Nintendo should speak up about it. Even saying "there's no news" is better than silence. Are they winging it or is this all planned? We don't know. Not knowing is the issue. The fact that some people think Nintendo is winging it is bad PR. Whether Nintendo are winging it or not, this bad PR should never have heppened if they actually spoke up.

Consider it from a PR perspective, before the launch of a new console. IF they come out and say there is no VC planned or "no news", the PR would be pretty bad, to the point it would probably hamper launch sales. Nintendo does not want that to happen.

By not saying anything they are not confirming/denying anything, so no one really knows which way it will go.

Personally.... i'd like to see some VC games (specifically GCN games i havent played). But at the same time, do I want them to spend time on VC as opposed to brand new switch content?... that's a tough question to answer for me.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Consider it from a PR perspective, before the launch of a new console. IF they come out and say there is no VC planned or "no news", the PR would be pretty bad, to the point it would probably hamper launch sales. Nintendo does not want that to happen.

By not saying anything they are not confirming/denying anything, so no one really knows which way it will go.

Personally.... i'd like to see some VC games (specifically GCN games i havent played). But at the same time, do I want them to spend time on VC as opposed to brand new switch content?... that's a tough question to answer for me.

You're 100% incorrect there, at least where Western audiences are concerned. Over a decade of product rollout research, for everything from cake mix to automobiles, has told me unequivocally that the average consumer considers a deliberate withholding of information to be a great deficit to a value proposition than actual negative news, both because the inference is that the seller is either incompetent or dishonest and because they imagine that unspoken negative to be worse than whatever the actual negative is.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
John grey.
Are you actually buying a Switch or are you here to just express your dissatisfaction at the system and it's downfalls?

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
John grey.
Are you actually buying a Switch or are you here to just express your dissatisfaction at the system and it's downfalls?

If I assume those aren't passive-aggressive rhetorical questions then you clearly haven't read the rest of the thread. I have made my position on the Switch particularly, and Nintendo in general, clear. No, I am not buying the Switch. No, I do not like the Switch personally. No, I do not presently support Nintendo as a consumer in any capacity.

My purpose here is to discuss the Switch from an analytical perspective. Far too many people in this thread, and YouTube, and various sites, have adopted the 'just me' perspective on products. If it suits them, it's automatically great, if it doesn't, then it isn't, and that's not reality. There's an interesting germ to the Switch, I won't deny that, and a place for it as a niche product. That said, there are real structural problems with the Switch and with Nintendo's marketing and service philosophy, problems that can and may be mortal depending on if Nintendo desists in acting like a toymaker from 1890 and steps into present day. We already had a generation where reality distortion convinced the Nintendo faithful that the company was the greatest gaming company on Earth, not because they sold the most games or systems but because they themselves preferred that product over the others whilst nearly 90% of their audience moved on. Nintendo does not have the luxury of another generation like that. Greatness in business is in doing, not in being, in sales and not feelings. Once upon a time, when Nintendo was actually run by businessmen, not by man-children like Miyamoto and bureaucrats like Kimishima, the business, the numbers were what mattered. With each successive generation, Nintendo has burnt more and more of its brand equity to fuel the delusion that they're still where they were in 1990. If your expectation is for me to jump and squeal with you over another hardware gimmick, or to not take the absolute piss out of Nintendo for doing things that are asinine or for releasing another half-baked product with more compromises than actual features, allow me to disabuse you of that notion here and now.

From a personal perspective, the Switch is a non-entity. It is not a part of my world and neither is Nintendo. From an analytical perspective, I have no faith in the Switch or the company that makes it. I have never once in this thread stated that I couldn't be wrong but only one person has ever argued the numbers with me and did a poor job of it in the bargain. If there's something in the numbers that I'm not seeing and you are, please let me know. If, however, you want me to preserve your warm feelings of childlike excitement and wonder over the Switch, then all I can say is that I wore my grownup trousers today and invite you to do the same.

Last edited:

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I've never actually purchased a console at launch. What are the chances that a brick-n-mortar store will have these on the shelf for sale come the 3/3?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I saw a video on IGN that said Gamestop was getting stock allocated in some stores for those walking in ... I imagine most will be snatched at midnight launches. YMMV though

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Looks like games aren't that big a problem after all!

Apparently about 20 games will be available during March, with about 50 more titles so far coming in 2017. That's pretty good! And hopefully the VC will launch this year also.

*Packs his doom sign away*

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks like games aren't that big a problem after all!

Apparently about 20 games will be available during March, with about 50 more titles so far coming in 2017. That's pretty good! And hopefully the VC will launch this year also.

*Packs his doom sign away*

Yeah but in fairness 44+ of those are small indie niche e-shop games.

The general lack of games is more about major full priced recognisable titles.

I will be purchasing a few indies though.

I'm looking forward though to Lego City Undercover in April 4th which I liked on the Wii U but it was utterly hampered by its very poor frame rate and more over ridiculously long loading times which were excruciating.

I was going to buy on XB1 or PS4, but now a switch version is said to launch same day as the others I'll probably pick it up instead.

I will wait and see how the reviews of it are (compared to PS4/XB1) to make sure it doesn't have same issues the Wii U version did. If it seems outside of resolution it's the same as the others, I'll pick it up on the switch.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Going through the lists, that's definitely not true.

Have you got a link to the list you are referencing .... ?

Nintendos own site only lists following March launch games as

On March 3rd

1-2-Switch
Fast RMX. (Indie)
Just Dance 2017
Human Resource Machine (indie)
I Am Setsuna (indie)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Little Inferno (indie)
Shovel Knight (indie)
Skylanders: Imaginators
Snipperclips (indie)
Super Bomberman R
World of Goo (indie)

Other March:

Has-Been Heroes (indie)

So out of those 13 in March, 9 are indies
And if you factor in 1 2 switch (which is more akin to estore budget rather than full priced game it's pretending to be) that leaves only 3 titles out of the 13 March releases.

Just re-read your post - sorry, you were including games for the rest of the year also and not just March ... doh ....

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
If I assume those aren't passive-aggressive rhetorical questions then you clearly haven't read the rest of the thread. I have made my position on the Switch particularly, and Nintendo in general, clear. No, I am not buying the Switch. No, I do not like the Switch personally. No, I do not presently support Nintendo as a consumer in any capacity.

My purpose here is to discuss the Switch from an analytical perspective. Far too many people in this thread, and YouTube, and various sites, have adopted the 'just me' perspective on products. If it suits them, it's automatically great, if it doesn't, then it isn't, and that's not reality. There's an interesting germ to the Switch, I won't deny that, and a place for it as a niche product. That said, there are real structural problems with the Switch and with Nintendo's marketing and service philosophy, problems that can and may be mortal depending on if Nintendo desists in acting like a toymaker from 1890 and steps into present day. We already had a generation where reality distortion convinced the Nintendo faithful that the company was the greatest gaming company on Earth, not because they sold the most games or systems but because they themselves preferred that product over the others whilst nearly 90% of their audience moved on. Nintendo does not have the luxury of another generation like that. Greatness in business is in doing, not in being, in sales and not feelings. Once upon a time, when Nintendo was actually run by businessmen, not by man-children like Miyamoto and bureaucrats like Kimishima, the business, the numbers were what mattered. With each successive generation, Nintendo has burnt more and more of its brand equity to fuel the delusion that they're still where they were in 1990. If your expectation is for me to jump and squeal with you over another hardware gimmick, or to not take the absolute piss out of Nintendo for doing things that are asinine or for releasing another half-baked product with more compromises than actual features, allow me to disabuse you of that notion here and now.

From a personal perspective, the Switch is a non-entity. It is not a part of my world and neither is Nintendo. From an analytical perspective, I have no faith in the Switch or the company that makes it. I have never once in this thread stated that I couldn't be wrong but only one person has ever argued the numbers with me and did a poor job of it in the bargain. If there's something in the numbers that I'm not seeing and you are, please let me know. If, however, you want me to preserve your warm feelings of childlike excitement and wonder over the Switch, then all I can say is that I wore my grownup trousers today and invite you to do the same.

Well it's your choice to take my posts how you like. My child like excitement and passive aggressive tones that you've decided to take is your call. I'll continue to be excited as I feel there's a lot of good to be had in the system, warts an all and choose to ignore your posts going forward. That's me wearing my grown up trousers. :)

Reactions: MRU and 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well it's your choice to take my posts how you like. My child like excitement and passive aggressive tones that you've decided to take is your call. I'll continue to be excited as I feel there's a lot of good to be had in the system, warts an all and choose to ignore your posts going forward. That's me wearing my grown up trousers. :)
"Child like excitement" hah, I know what you mean. I'm not buying a Switch for a while but I'll certainly end up with one eventually. My concerns are backwards compatibility/discounts, and waiting to see how built-in apps fare, because hey I like those things! But all the time I'm combating that excitement that I only get from Nintendo machines. Like - I love my PSVR and it feels like the first big step since Mario 64 but currently I'm spending much more time on my 3DS.

I don't know how Nintendo does it. It's that "magic" that Steve Jobs had.

Reactions: Aneres11 and MRU

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Anyone order from the UK Nintendo store? I ordered my Neon console almost immediately after Nintendo listed them, and received my confirmation, and even an email last week saying that they were going to soon going to take payment. All good, but my order status is currently sitting at an estimated dispatch date of 3/3.

It would be somewhat disappointing if my system won't arrive on launch date.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Anyone order from the UK Nintendo store? I ordered my Neon console almost immediately after Nintendo listed them, and received my confirmation, and even an email last week saying that they were going to soon going to take payment. All good, but my order status is currently sitting at an estimated dispatch date of 3/3.

It would be somewhat disappointing if my system won't arrive on launch date.

I haven't ordered from them, but I think that's what everyone's says who has preordered from them.

According to other forums I'm on, they tend to get them delivered on the day, or before. I wouldn't worry. :)

Reactions: MRU

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
"Child like excitement" hah, I know what you mean. I'm not buying a Switch for a while but I'll certainly end up with one eventually. My concerns are backwards compatibility/discounts, and waiting to see how built-in apps fare, because hey I like those things! But all the time I'm combating that excitement that I only get from Nintendo machines. Like - I love my PSVR and it feels like the first big step since Mario 64 but currently I'm spending much more time on my 3DS.

I don't know how Nintendo does it. It's that "magic" that Steve Jobs had.

There's just something about nintendo games and systems that always work for me. I have TONS more games on the Xbox One (2.5TB of external drives worth). I have a PSVR. I play WoW, Civ, and have a large Steam collection. I boot these all up more often than my Wii U and 3DS, but I spend a lot more time per game on nintendo than I do the others.

"magic" I guess. Ha

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

I was at Gamestop yesterday and they had the Kiosk set up and the wall that the Switch and the games/accessories will reside (all display boxes, the kiosk had no system/screen yet).

If you really think about it - Nintendo does do it again being the first system to be truly used as both a handheld/mobile and home console...

People I've talk to don't think it will do well, but those are the people that play the M-rated real-life violent games (GTA) and spend most of their time outside of gaming staring at their over-sized smartphone...

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I was at Gamestop yesterday and they had the Kiosk set up and the wall that the Switch and the games/accessories will reside (all display boxes, the kiosk had no system/screen yet).

If you really think about it - Nintendo does do it again being the first system to be truly used as both a handheld/mobile and home console...

People I've talk to don't think it will do well, but those are the people that play the M-rated real-life violent games (GTA) and spend most of their time outside of gaming staring at their over-sized smartphone...

Yeah I hear what you're saying. I guess we don't really know how well the console will do although I think it will fair better than the Wii U did. Whether that's classed as a success or not, I don't know.

The one thing it does have going for it is the steady stream of releases up until Christmas. That's without ports or any third party announcements as of yet.

Mario Kart will definitely get people on board as will Splatoon 2 (particularly in Japan) and then there's Arms which I think if advertised right, could shift some systems too.

There shouldn't really be much in the way of a drought like Nintendo have been faced with several times before and it is promising that it seems like they've learned from the Wii U and 3DS mistakes. Whilst that might have affected the launch line up somewhat, the knowing of what's to come would have added some incentive to those preordering.
It certainly did for me anyway, as I don't have the time to play a lot of games so a few months between big launches is well paced for me.

I understand why those who are all COD and GTA heads wouldn't think it would do well. The Switch probably wouldn't be for them with why has been shown so far so you can't blame them for not wanting to find out more. As a big Nintendo fan I still get surprised at just how many fans and huge following they still have. People love Nintendo. I Don't think they're bothered about trying to win that crowd over either. The GameCube was probably their last proper attempt at a very serious powerful console and whilst I loved it, some of my most memorable gaming moments have been from the Wii and their DS lines.

The Switch could be fantastic and that's why I am so excited for what's to come from it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah I hear what you're saying. I guess we don't really know how well the console will do although I think it will fair better than the Wii U did. Whether that's classed as a success or not, I don't know.

The one thing it does have going for it is the steady stream of releases up until Christmas. That's without ports or any third party announcements as of yet.

Mario Kart will definitely get people on board as will Splatoon 2 (particularly in Japan) and then there's Arms which I think if advertised right, could shift some systems too.

There shouldn't really be much in the way of a drought like Nintendo have been faced with several times before and it is promising that it seems like they've learned from the Wii U and 3DS mistakes. Whilst that might have affected the launch line up somewhat, the knowing of what's to come would have added some incentive to those preordering.
It certainly did for me anyway, as I don't have the time to play a lot of games so a few months between big launches is well paced for me.

I understand why those who are all COD and GTA heads wouldn't think it would do well. The Switch probably wouldn't be for them with why has been shown so far so you can't blame them for not wanting to find out more. As a big Nintendo fan I still get surprised at just how many fans and huge following they still have. People love Nintendo. I Don't think they're bothered about trying to win that crowd over either. The GameCube was probably their last proper attempt at a very serious powerful console and whilst I loved it, some of my most memorable gaming moments have been from the Wii and their DS lines.

The Switch could be fantastic and that's why I am so excited for what's to come from it.

I'm not sure Mario Kart 8 will be such a big hardware seller when those who really wanted that game would have probably got a Wii U if it was such a seller, and then when you consider that if they did pick up a Wii U, then only a certain percentage of those may be willing to re-purchase, and if they are, then they likely would have pre-ordered the system like we did anyway.

I honestly don't see anything particularly on the schedule that would convert folks into buyers, that wouldn't have already picked it up as Nintendo fans.

Arms, Splatoon 2 look fun, but not system sellers and Mario is not the system seller he once was sadly.

There is nothing so far on the release schedule that really stands out as titles to convert the unconverted / skeptical ...

And whilst I may not like COD, in all probability an exclusive COD or Battlefield game, more so than any Mario, Zelda, MK8 combined would likely sell more physical systems. Those are the people / gamers that actually make the difference hardware sales wise.

It's been proven now that just relying on Nintendo fans will not sell hardware and software in the numbers publishers and more shareholders love and want to hear.

It's too easy to dismiss those 'big franchise' gamers, but they do represent a greater majority of gamers and are the ones who can make the difference both in software and hardware sales wise.

If Nintendo can't convert them or lure them to the Switch, we will inevitably be looking at a repeat of the Wii U.

I hope E3 turns out something special from third party developers so that the regular gamers can get on board and drove sales, because the more sales, the more games and choice we ALL have ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm not sure Mario Kart 8 will be such a big hardware seller when those who really wanted that game would have probably got a Wii U if it was such a seller, and then when you consider that if they did pick up a Wii U, then only a certain percentage of those may be willing to re-purchase, and if they are, then they likely would have pre-ordered the system like we did anyway.

I honestly don't see anything particularly on the schedule that would convert folks into buyers, that wouldn't have already picked it up as Nintendo fans.

Arms, Splatoon 2 look fun, but not system sellers and Mario is not the system seller he once was sadly.

There is nothing so far on the release schedule that really stands out as titles to convert the unconverted / skeptical ...

And whilst I may not like COD, in all probability an exclusive COD or Battlefield game, more so than any Mario, Zelda, MK8 combined would likely sell more physical systems. Those are the people / gamers that actually make the difference hardware sales wise.

It's been proven now that just relying on Nintendo fans will not sell hardware and software in the numbers publishers and more shareholders love and want to hear.

It's too easy to dismiss those 'big franchise' gamers, but they do represent a greater majority of gamers and are the ones who can make the difference both in software and hardware sales wise.

If Nintendo can't convert them or lure them to the Switch, we will inevitably be looking at a repeat of the Wii U.

I hope E3 turns out something special from third party developers so that the regular gamers can get on board and drove sales, because the more sales, the more games and choice we ALL have ...

I agree with the majority of what you're saying, maybe not the Mario not being the system seller he once was part though.

As soon as the 3DS and Wii U got their MARIO 3D land / world titles the systems picked up pace from what I can remember. No MARIO at launch hurt them. (My phone keeps making the world MARIO caps automatically and I really CBA amend it every time lol).

And the problem is, if those 'other' gamers had a choice of console to play these games like COD on, they're gonna want the one all their mates are prob playing on for online matches etc. Nintendo just can't provide that which (seemingly) which is where I'm getting the 'those gamers are not the target' thing from.

Whilst I'd love them to be converted, I think the Switch will probably need to rely on its uniqueness, like the Wii did, to get some of these other gamers across. Even if they use it as I intend to use my Switch, as an additional console to use alongside my PS4 and One for a different experience.

Games like Arms, Splatoon and even MK do provide that as there isn't anything like them elsewhere. Not at MK standard anyway.

Whilst those releases may not shift consoles alone, the fact that by end of summer they will be on the shelves will help sell it IMO. The amount of people holding off on purchasing one until there are more games should bite by then, as from what I have read online they're waiting for more to play before taking the plunge.

We'll see how it pans out. Hopefully it fares better than the Wii U anyway!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree with the majority of what you're saying, maybe not the Mario not being the system seller he once was part though.

As soon as the 3DS and Wii U got their MARIO 3D land / world titles the systems picked up pace from what I can remember.

Actually Mario 3D World on Wii U sold really quite poorly on launch unfortunately and didn't even break the Top 20 in the overall gaming charts on its release ...

It was outsold quite dramatically by Knack on PS4 ... depressing but true :(

It did outsell it overall though (faith in humanity restored) but it was very much overshadowed on its launch.

BTW folks ... 6 days !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
My biggest concern whether to buy the Switch or not is that all multiplat games I will buy them on PS4, so that leaves me with only the exclusives on Switch, and I do really really want to play Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong and mainly the next Smash Bros, but is it worth it to buy a new 300€ console just to play a very small list of exclusives? I'm not interested in Splatoon and probably not on other exclusives like that one.

I could use that money to buy more games for the PS4, but I just love Super Smash Bros, and it's been so long since I played Mario and Zelda (N64)...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My biggest concern whether to buy the Switch or not is that all multiplat games I will buy them on PS4, so that leaves me with only the exclusives on Switch, and I do really really want to play Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong and mainly the next Smash Bros, but is it worth it to buy a new 300€ console just to play a very small list of exclusives? I'm not interested in Splatoon and probably not on other exclusives like that one.

I could use that money to buy more games for the PS4, but I just love Super Smash Bros, and it's been so long since I played Mario and Zelda (N64)...

I would wait personally until there are more games on the system then that you want to play. If your buying it for just that small handful.

It's inevitable there will be a good price cut or holiday bundle and also likely we will see a revised version with more on board storage and maybe bigger or at least improved battery somewhere in its lifespan ...

Reactions: Sensamic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.