The Notch, is it Here to Stay Next Year's iPhone X successor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 19, 2017.

?

Will Apple keep the ugly notch at the top of the phone for future iterations of the iPhone X?

1. Yes, they will keep the notch design for the next iPhone X successor a year from now.

47 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No, they will realize how much the majority of people hate it and go rectangular.

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I know people don't like predicting the future, but this is one of those posts that tries to get at this.
    Is the notch on the iPhone X here to stay for at least the iPhone we will see next year?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

It amazes me you have been on this forum 7 years.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I think it is much more likely that people stop complaining and adapt to the notch rather than apple reacting and ditching it completely.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

If Apple could design it so that the camera could be hidden behind the screen yet still function would the notch still exist? It only exists because the innovation isn’t there yet. It’s not there because it’s beautiful. It will last until they figure out a better solution. This is the best they have right now.

5. Vermifuge, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Apple is going for an iconic look. Something that makes it stand out from the Android phones but still evolving beyond the home button. This could be the look of the iPhone for the next 10 years.

6. terminator-jq macrumors 6502

Here’s my thinking (obviously a long shot but who cares):

2018: Apple drops the “X” part of the name and just calls it iPhone. 5.8” iPhone stays mostly the same (maybe a higher mp camera and faster chip). Apple introduces a 6.4” iPhone X style phone to compete with the galaxy note. The notch stays, as does the legacy style iPhone (in the form of an 8S).

iOS 12 will either give users the ability to black out the notch or it will go the opposite direction and add more functionality to the notch area.

2019: The iPhone X style becomes the new standard. We get the usual spec bump and some new colors. Maybe Face ID 2? The manufacturing process is improved which allows Apple to lower the price (maybe $750 for the 5.8” and $999 for the 6.4). The legacy style iPhone sticks around in its 4.7” size as a budget model with a spec bump. The notch stays. Maybe the camera bump will shrink or at least get beveled out.

2020: We finally get the first design overhaul of the iPhone X style. The manufacturing process of hiding the sensors and camera behind the screen becomes cheap enough to mass produce. The notch finally disappears and maybe the bezels shrink a little as well.

Judging by the slow evolution of the iPhone 6 style design, I think the iPhone X will stay looking the way it is for a while. Maybe we’ll get used to the notch or maybe we won’t. I personally don’t mind it but that could change when I actually see it in person. If all else fails, Apple certainly has the ability to make the notch less noticeable through software.

7. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

you seriously need to get a life, there is more to life than trying to be 1000000% sure you make the best iphone model buy decision.

8. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Well they haven’t backed down yet on anything*

*Except pretty much a lot of things

I voted for keeping the notch... :cool: True Depth, et all is still a few years away from being completely beneath the screen.

9. ges macrumors member

It will be there next year but they will be able to reduce its size a little. They'll keep it for at least two phones to stop it looking like something they regret doing.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a large part of what it is. That's Exactly what I have been saying since they introduced the notch, that it's more of an adaptation phase for those to accept it. I understand some don't like it and it's not for everybody, but most who don't frequent a tech forum, likely don't have much of an issue with it.

11. LiemTa macrumors 6502

Sorry folks, the notch is here to stay for at least another 4 years. Apple is pushing people to embrace the notch while they buy time to figure out how to remove it for a half-decade to come.

12. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Then they have really really unintelligent people on their teams. There is only one intelligent solution to the notch: hide it via software by placing a perpetual black bar at the top for status elements. It’s that simple.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Hate to break it, but it is technically impossible to place the front facing camera behind the display given the physics of this universe. Unless they put a quantum image sensor in there, gathering quantum entangled photons, then it’s not happening. The reason it cannot happen is due to the fact that placing anything in front of the image sensor will make a far worse quality image. The image sensor needs a clear transparent glass over it. This goes for the other sensors as well.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Nope. The iPhone has an iconic look without the notch. The only iconic look the Apple designers achieved was iconically moronic design.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I forget where I stumbled upon what I'm about to say but I did read it somewhere.

The notch is something that the apple leadership is embracing, and is one way (probably the only) to differentiate the iPhone from the other phones. We're at a point where all of the phones with edge to edge displays look so much alike. The notch is something that wants to use as a way to brand the phone. That is they want to be sure people see a phone with the notch its an iPhone.

If that is the case, then the notch is here to stay.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

How do you know?
    I don't think they did the notch on purpose. Once technology gets to the point that the cameras are built into the frame of the phone not part of the display all phones will be going this route.
    Its just a matter of time.
    They didn't do this to be "iconic" they did it because they don't have the ability to eliminate it "YET"

The apple logo on the back is all they need to stand out.

15. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

In 5 years the iPhone will be a pair of glasses and some EarPods.

Or a watch and EarPods.

Either way, I think the phone form factor is going to die in 5-10 years.

16. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

The notch on the X+ will have to do. Although let's discuss (cry) the price this time next year.

17. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

It'll be here next year.

But if they release a Plus sized phone it'll cover a smaller % of the screen is another way to think of it.

18. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Just depends if they can get the sensors under the screen or not. My guess is that we are still a few years away from this.

19. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

It’ll still be there in 2018.
    I don’t know about being able to put all those sensors underneath the screen, but I’d bet money they are looking at shoehorning them into the frame.

20. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

This is a laughable thread. Apple has embraced the thread and so have those who had the hands on with the device. this isn't going anywhere

21. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Apple execs have embraced the notch, and so have special attendees of the media who probably relished the opportunity of even being able to go hands on with the iPhone X. Those people that have embraced it are not people like us (unless you are somehow associated with Apple and we have members who are Apple employees, press, or affiliated in some fashion, which would be UBER :D).

If sales of the X end up much lower than the 8 and the 8+, and there is a lot more buzz about how resentment has not "melted away", and your competitors Google, LG, Samsung, and even Xiaomi are laughing and keep a rectangular design and make truly edgeless phones, will Apple seriously keep the 8 design for next year? What would it's investors think?

I am not trying to say either way whether the notch is going away or not, but I think there is an air of uncertainty around what next year's phone looks like.. even from Apple's standpoint. For all we know, they already have teams working on in-display TouchID that supports 3D touch, and another team for getting rid of the notch design.

22. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

you can say what you want , this is the future design. The phone will sell out, people will use and like the phone and appreciate what it does and how it looks. The investors will look at the sell out rate and demand for the phone and the reviews. People doing hands on are not elitists, they are also consumers of these very devices just like you and just like me.
    Touch ID is gone, it is not coming back to phones. Apple themselves killed the touch ID by saying its less secure than Face ID. Give up the nightmare, its over. live the dream

Gruber, who knows Apple employees and execs himself said. "its not that they COULD get touch id under the screen, its that Face ID to them was the future and they abandoned the touch ID under the screen in favor of Face ID"

its over.

23. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm not going to lie, the more hands on videos that I watch and the more pictures I see, the more the notch is starting to grow on me.

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Nobody knows!

Will Apple come to their senses and do it RIGHT next year? I hope so.

Tune in next year to find out.

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I like it! Some fun speculation, and regardless of whether the technology to do X/Y/Z is available per your timeline, I think it's at least what's *desired* in terms of design/engineering.

OK, I know everybody "knows somebody who knows somebody", but I spent a decent amount of time in the SF area, engaged in the AR/VR space (dev/architect but also lots of meets/greets/expos/conventions/pitches) and got to know some Apple folks (that were involved in the ARKit area) who I occasionally still chat with, generally I kind of loop back around with them during Apple product releases.

Anyway ...

One of them pretty heavily implied that there is a good bit of iOS 11.x.x (vs. 12) in the product pipeline that might very well include "not insignificant" changes to the UI in the context of the iPX.

They also claim to have seen UFOs, so grain of salt I guess :D