The NRA’s internal split over Philando Castile

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
the NRA when it comes to a black legal gun owner is shot they are mute.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/09/the-nras-internal-revolt-over-philando-castile/?utm_term=.ac0442e51aed

After a Minnesota police officer fatally shot a black man on Wednesday, gun control advocates weren’t the only ones criticizing the National Rifle Association. Some of the blowback was coming from within the organization.

The NRA is facing internal division as its members argue that the group did not do enough to defend gun owners’ rights by speaking out on behalf of Philando Castile of Falcon Heights, Minn., who was shot to death during a traffic stop.

Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun. He also reportedly informed the officer who shot him that he was armed in an attempt to head off a misunderstanding.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Castile made the mistake of telling the cop ( who were on the look out for armed robbers ) that he was armed WHILE REACHING for his wallet....... people on drugs don't make the wisest decisions.
[doublepost=1497805387][/doublepost]
The NRA should stand up for all gun owners.
they tend to do but mostly concentrate on LAWS, not specific cases...

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Castile made the mistake of telling the cop ( who were on the look out for armed robbers ) that he was armed WHILE REACHING for his wallet....... p
[doublepost=1497805387][/doublepost]
they tend to do but mostly concentrate on LAWS, not specific cases...
easily guy should have know he was bank robber :rolleyes:yes the NRA does not like to speak out till they do

The NRA’s approach bore a close resemblance in tone to its statement after last month’s mass shooting in Orlando. Two days after the massacre, a lobbyist for the gun rights group wrote an op-ed in USA Today going on the offensive against stricter firearms regulation.

“Destroy radical Islam, not the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves,” wrote Chris Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action. Cox’s broadside against greater restrictions was viewed as tone-deaf by many gun-control advocates, while gun proponents lined up on the other side.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
easily guy should have know he was bank robber :rolleyes:yes the NRA does not like to speak out till they do
funny as hell seeing you seemingly in support of Castile because you think it makes the NRA look bad.
[doublepost=1497806718][/doublepost]
If they won't defend black gun owners what are they?
o_Oo_Oo_O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colion_Noir
Colion Noir (real name Collins Idehen)[3] is a gun rights activist, lawyer, member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), and the host of the web series Noir on the NRA's online video channel NRA Freestyle. H

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
If they won't defend black gun owners what are they?
At the time the article was written, the facts were not known, and I haven't seen any comment from the NRA since the officer was acquitted. They must be racist!

At the time I said the cop made a mistake, and still think that.

Reactions: jkcerda

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
At the time the article was written, the facts were not known, and I haven't seen any comment from the NRA since the officer was acquitted. They must be racist!

At the time I said the cop made a mistake, and still think that.
pot heads don't think about what they are doing, reaching for your wallet while saying " I have a gun" while you have guns pointed at you is not the brightest idea.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
To be fair the NRA has defended numerous Black gun owners and has been trying to recruit more minorities.

This was a very contentious topic across America, and as the article states within he NRA. Personally, I can see arguments for and against the cops innocence. I suspect it has more to do with that than explicit racism.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
pot heads don't think about what they are doing, reaching for your wallet while saying " I have a gun" while you have guns pointed at you is not the brightest idea.
Agree. I have never been disarmed, a friend was by a County Sheriff in Georgia. There are stories from both sides on how not to do it.
[doublepost=1497807652][/doublepost]
Bouncing a check is a mistake not gunning someone.
Okay...

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Bouncing a check is a mistake not gunning someone.
from the NY slimme
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/police-shooting-trial-philando-castile.html?_r=0
The case against Officer Yanez — believed to be the first time in Minnesota history that an officer was charged in an on-duty fatal shooting — hinged on one central question: Did the officer have reason to fear that Mr. Castile was reaching for a gun that he had acknowledged having with him when he was pulled over by the officer?

Officer Yanez testified that he feared Mr. Castile was grabbing for the gun, but Mr. Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, said he had merely been reaching for his identification to give the officer
Castile told him "I have a gun" while stupidly reaching for his wallet, pot heads don't think clearly about what they are doing.

Last edited:

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
funny as hell seeing you seemingly in support of Castile because you think it makes the NRA look bad.
[doublepost=1497806718][/doublepost]
o_Oo_Oo_O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colion_Noir
He's black and an NRA spokesperson and longtime member. I already know what he would be called if he were a congressman.
[doublepost=1497808038][/doublepost]
from the NY slimme

Castile told him "I have a gun" while stupidly reaching for his wallet, pot heads don't think clearly about what they are doing.
She was referring to me calling it a mistake.

Reactions: jkcerda

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
To be fair the NRA has defended numerous Black gun owners and has been trying to recruit more minorities.

This was a very contentious topic across America, and as the article states within he NRA. Personally, I can see arguments for and against the cops innocence. I suspect it has more to do with that than explicit racism.
Yep, there are plenty of things to criticize the NRA for, but calling them racist over one incident that is debatable who was at fault is a reach.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Wasn't the gun also in his lap? I seem to remember seeing that, but I might be wrong.