The Number of Male Domestic Abuse Victims Is Shockingly High

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 26, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

do any of you know of any men shelters?

https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-number-of-male-domestic-1284479771263030.html

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Are you still getting beat up by the little old ladies at Bingo night, JK? I told you walking around armed won't do anything. Octogenarians don't fear death.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Part of the problem is when a man hits a woman, society collectively gasps. When a woman hits a man, he's supposed to shield himself and not hit her back and walk away. Meanwhile, onlookers laugh. It's a total double standard.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no bingo for me, Mom does beat the hell out of me at Rummy

[​IMG]

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you can't handle your mom in a fight, those mean old ladies at the VFW will tear you to shreads.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

true, but we are not used to seeing abused men.

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

We would be quite used to it if we stopped laughing it off when it happens.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Well everyone thinks it's fine to joke about this, the damage of domestic abuse is horrible, but easily dismissed. Most are men, but I would imagine abuse from women is underreported.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Worth reading the study rather than the yahoo article. Although the raw numbers are headline grabbing (and we shouldn't belittle violence against men) the data reveals a lot more about what is really going on. The author of the article is a bit sloppy and doesn't relay what the data shows in full for their men-centric article. The seriousness of the violence against women is objectively far greater.

Rape - these figures are just atrocious.
    Sexual violence overall is perpetrated largely by males.
    The raw numbers she lifts (5,365,000 men and 4,741,000 women in the OP) doesn't again show the full data from the source when is lifting it from (see reference tables 4.1 and 4.2). Women are greater than 3 times more likely to suffer consequences of the violence than men defined as; experiencing any of the following: being fearful, concerned for safety, any PTSD symptoms, need for health care, injury, contacted a crisis hotline, need for housing services, need for victim’s advocate services, need for legal services, missed at least one day of work or school.For those who reported being raped it also includes having contracted a sexually transmitted disease. This is most likely in direct relation to the much greater significance of the violence that men perpetrate on women (see tables 5.1 and 5.3).

Although you are being flippant here the need for shelters/accommodation from the study is 3 million a year for women and 500 000 a year for men. Which is enormous on both counts.

As comes up a lot in PRSI it is worth having a read of the original study and not relying on the author who also writes articles on Jimmy Falon's "funny-cause-it's-true" juice cleanse stories. This is why the media has so much power to control the narrative for advertising page hits.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I've been married for 26 yrs and abused through everyone of them. However, I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

I do think there is a double standard around the subject though.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

So this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like. O_0

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Domestic violence against men is objectively more present than is represented in most articles I see about domestic violence. Even if it is 70:30 that doesn't excuse the way it is mostly ignored.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

no wonder the gun and car fetish.

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

we really don't deal well with female rape victims and domestic abuse so it is not hard to understand how men are overlooked.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If there's a double standard, a lot of it comes from men, establishing our codes of masculinity and discouraging others from coming forward, and then complaining when no one takes the issue seriously.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

This has been well documented for at least 40 years, but:

http://www.pbs.org/kued/nosafeplace/studyg/domestic.html

That is the bottom line: when it comes to being physically injured or killed, women more often get the worst of it.

However, I think you will find that many police departments do take woman-on-man domestic violence more seriously than they used to.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Spoken like a true feminist. It's the men's fault :rolleyes:

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Spoken like a true victim. It's the fault of women. :rolleyes:

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The abusive ones? Yes, yes it is

20. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You guys seem to be overlooking the fact that it can be male on male.

In previous threads I have admitted to being raped twice and physically assaulted by significant others. I have heard the retort that's because I'm gay, but it doesn't make it any easier.

KGB:confused:

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I did not think of that angle

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ugh. Anyone who says that is really just a bad person. The author doesn't indicate one way or the other, but I suspect she mostly pulled figures from that. Nothing in her background suggests she would be able to offer any in depth analysis of the study, and the article uses memes for filler. I wouldn't read too far into it. I will probably read the CDC study at some point. Not today.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is clearly a "shock you with the numbers" media article with selective analysis, as @.Andy pointed out. It's one thing if a woman slaps a man, it's another if a man beats the pulp out of a woman, not to say the opposite can't happen, but usually it's the men that significantly overpower the woman.

I would say our societal norms (both male and female) are the biggest problem. It's okay for a woman to hit a man, but I've always (as a male) heard "you never hit a woman". If a woman is hit by man, she is expected to receive sympathy, the man is seen as a monster. If a woman hits a man, I think we usually assume he deserved it and good for the woman for standing up. Thinking of TV shows, movies, etc that is generally the case with domestic violence. If a man is hit by a woman, he's supposed to hang tough. If a woman is hit by a man, she is supposed to call the police. There's absolutely a double standard, but given how we're conditioned to to perceive male vs female violence, one is comical and the other is serious.

As @Grey Beard pointed out, homosexual relationships are not mentioned here. I'm trying to think of the societal perspectives... male on male seems like something that is done to settle problems off the books/without legal intervention (the after school fight to settle a score) -or- part of natural dominance/pecking order. A male vs male fight almost has a sense of socially acceptance. Female vs. female brings to mind a cat fight, which is often portrayed as the violence is over some arbitrary disagreement, and seen as very un-lady-like and immature (where as men fighting provokes masculinity and maturity).

So I'm just rambling off the top of my head here. I think there are a lot of double standards here and society is to blame how we construct violence. I've never been in a fight in my life (domestic or otherwise), I've never seen the need to fight. I guess that makes me un-manly :(

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

The way they dress they are just asking for it ....

[​IMG]

25. bandrews macrumors 6502a

What most of you have completely missed is the psychological aspect. While a woman may not necessarily be able to inflict the same kind of physical injury on her partner, by getting into a guy's mind to make him feel like a failure or "less of a man" they can inflict damage that will remain long after the bruises have healed.

And women can be really REALLY nasty. And that's not even in a jokey flippant way.