The number one feature I want in iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yadmonkey, May 17, 2012.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I want a field I can check in contacts that labels them as "important" or "emergency". Then I want to put my phone into a mode where it will only ring/chime when I get a call/text from those people.

My reasoning, if you're interested: This way I can sleep with my phone on my nightstand without getting awakened by non-crucial communications.

As it happens, my life doesn't fit into the 9-5 box. I tend to work late and sleep late. That means that my morning sleep is often interrupted by unimportant calls, but I want to be there for my family and key clients if there's an emergency in the morning.

Has anyone else thought about something along these lines? If you have, please consider submitting a feature request:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have, I think that's a great idea for the same reason you listed. I want my wife to get through if I'm sleeping but not every friend IMing me with some joke.

3. cynics macrumors G4

I've been saying I'd like some sort of smart actions but this in addition would be nice.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Does anyone know if iBlacklist can do this? I know the app allows you to only let people in a contact list reach you, so there might be a way for this to actually work.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I would love a black list.

In the mean time I have a ring tone of 'silence' that I assign to frequent offenders.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Contact groups and profile ringer settings... Features that would be extremely nice to have- especially since most of my 'non' smartphones had them in the past.

While you're at it, I'd also like an 'ignore' list as well.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I think this is a great idea. Are you a pilot or flight attendant? Reason is, when one sits on standby reserve, one is awaken in the middle of the night for trips assignments knowing the incoming call is work-related, therefore, it would be nice to only allow a specific number to chime in at odd hours of the night. Plus, when you have friends in the airlines, and you yourself is on a layover in NYC/East Coast, for example, they'll call to chat say at 9pm (thinking your home locally), not realizing your not local and are working, and you're already in bed because it's already 12-midinght in NYC.

I like your idea.

8. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the jailbroken iBlacklist can do this for you.

9. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

You provide a great example of why this matters. I'm not an aviator - just a night owl who worked hard to create a life (musician, consultant) that accommodates my nocturnal tendencies. My wife is a new RN who will most likely work nights too.

10. davidlw macrumors 6502a

My Blackberry had a night mode that allows only phone calls and wake up alarm to function while you sleep. So no email, text etc would wake me up. I loved it. It kept the phone alive incase of emergency and the Alarm would still wake me, perfect for my needs. Wish Apple would include this in future versions.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

An SBSettings like swipe tool, that has toggle switches on it to turn things on/off at my choice.

12. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I was just thinking of this yesterday.

I hope this gets implemented into iOS soon

13. n13ldo macrumors newbie

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

It can be done already as others have said. iBlacklist lets you set up a whitelist so only those numbers go through. Jailbreaking is your friend.

15. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Looks like it's coming in iOS 6 in the form of a new "Do Not Disturb" mode!

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Nothing on a revamped/improved keyboard as far as I can tell.

I'm stunned...