The Oath Keepers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's have a thought experiment here... Let's imagine that it was a Muslim organization that was recruiting members of the US military to potentially take up arms against fellow soldiers. What if a Muslim group, closely associated with mainstream Democratic political figures, was openly advocating armed insurrection against a government they felt was treading on their ideal of what America is. What if that Muslim group was stockpiling weapons and ammunition inside the US in anticipation of a day not far off when they would need to take up those arms against the US government?

What would the GOP response be? Well, remember how they reacted to the idea that Muslims were "infiltrating" Congressional offices as aides? The GOP had congresscritters making news conferences about it. Imagine how much more hysterical they would have been if CAIR had been stockpiling weapons, or advocating armed resistance to the government.

With that in mind... The Oath Keepers

The rise in right-wing militia groups was entirely predictable after the election of Barack Hussein Obama, a Democrat. But it's amazing to see how far the Republican party lets these folks go without censure. Openly advocating treason among the uniformed military? Advocating disloyalty to the US? And yet these people's praises are sung by some of the leading lights of the conservative movement. It's almost beyond belief that they could get away with this after 8 years of demanding the scalp of any Democrat who dared criticize Bush, but such is the power of the conservative media microphone.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

We don't need to worry about extremist Muslims, we don't need to worry about shoe bombers or terrorists from over-seas, we need to worry about our own citizens who believe everything they are told, don't do actual research on their own and going out and stockpiling weapons to use against their fellow Americans.

I'm all for protecting the constitution, but when things are taken out of context and exaggerated such as the second amendment for the benefit of one group at the detriment of another that is what I have an issue with. This is not the 18th century, we are "supposed" to be more civilized. But looking at this story makes me wonder if certain people of a political following never fully grew out of the cave man days.

This is a scary story...

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As far as I am concerned they are free to disobey orders and face a court marshal, thats why we have the process. At its core it doesn't sound entirely bad that servicemen want to keep their oaths, it wouldn't matter to me if they were muslim or not, the damning part is in the details as it seems to be an anti-anything Obama setup.

I have no problem with people stockpiling arms in case their second ammendment rights are taken away. Its clearly not in Obama's agenda though.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd probably call them a terrorist group. I think the Republicans might actually spontaneously explode with faux anger.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The administration already felt the backlash of classifying veterans as extremists, I don't think they will make that mistake again.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

sigh... Here we go again. Link please? Care to show us where the Obama administration classified veterans as extremists?

Of course we know how this will play out. You'll point to a right wing opinion source that makes such a claim on flimsy premises at best. You'll get all offended when I tell you that doesn't prove anything. You'll post another opinion piece or two and assert that "most people" see it this way. I'll again tell you that opinion isn't fact, you'll say something about how no proof is good enough for me, and that I'm only ignoring your mountain of overwhelming evidence because of my partisan blinders. And you'll never substantiate your original claim.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/16/napolitano.apology/

I am sure she was apologizing for the heck of it. ;) I got it from CNN so you wouldn't pull the bias card.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm talkin' about friendship. I'm talkin' about character. I'm talkin' about... Hell, Mactastic, I ain't embarrassed to use the word - I'm talkin' about hypocrisy.

And let's call a spade a spade. There ain't nothin' - and I do mean nothin' - worse than a politician or political position that is hypocritical. Nothin'. Nuff said.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Actions speak louder than words. The previous administration and their henchmen treated the veterans far worse. Look at what they did to Kerry, McCain, Cleland, etc. And cut veteran benefits, etc.

Are you referring to the Republicans?

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well, this thread is about how there is [Marlon Brando voice] the horror of hypocrisy in politics, and how Republicans are the only hypocrites, right? I mean, that is the point, right?

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Did you even read what was said, or did you bother to even note what the report said that the veterans groups were bothered by?

No one, and I mean no one ever classified veterans as extremist groups; the report was about extremist groups that would target veterans coming back from the Iraq and Afghan wars.

Not veterans are extremists... but veterans are targeted by extremists.

Geez.

That being said, veterans don't want to appear as though they are more likely to be targetted or are susceptible to it because of some defect, so they were offended. Thus, the apology.

Next time you buy into some wackjob argument of the right, read what actually happened and make up your own mind.

Do you really think the administration was classifying veterans as extremists? Give me a break, that's just silly.

(edit) For me, hypocracy is bad on both sides of the isle.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

LOL. Yes of course, she didn't mean that veterans were more likely to be involved/fall into extremist behavior (nevermind the fact that we were concentrating mainly on republican service men coming back from the wars), she meant that they were going to be victims of extremists trying to convert them :eek: in that case they should have blared the warning signs all around America! They are attacking our service men, ohnoes!

Give me a break. Some of the Obama administration, especially Napalitano, are about the greasiest politicians that I can come up with.

13. 184550 Guest

From a Google search for 'Mother Jones'

Sounds impartial.:rolleyes:

Glad I checked the link/ source and didn't waste my time reading that trash.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well you wouldn't want to learn anything would you.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you think that the corporate world, the government and the mainstream media are unceasingly good?

17. 184550 Guest

No. Do I think that they are unceasingly 'evil' as the description suggests? No again.

18. 184550 Guest

Nope, and I wouldn't want to learn anything just by reading the bullsh*t on the DNC and RNC homepages either.

19. 184550 Guest

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It would be helpful if you used the actual titles instead of acronyms not everyone is familiar with parochial U.S. organisations.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LAT = Los Angeles Times.

22. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

From the article YOU posted:
    I don't see anything there suggesting that veterans are now classified as extremists, do you? Care to point out exactly which part of the report actually changes the classification of veterans to extremists?

More fail from you...

Link please. You're going to have to back up your slurs from now on...

Are you denying the existence of this group?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The description you quoted suggests no such thing, only that there are evils which need exposing. Your preconceptions are running amok.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes I googled it ,I also had to google RNC and DNC,those acronyms may be familiar to you but most of the world wouldn't know,it makes a post more comprehensible if you lose the jargon.

25. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I find that hard to believe. I've seen you around the PRSI a lot and you should know what those mean.

I mean honestly, I know what BNP stands for when I walk into a thread about British politics.