Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you've ever lived in New Jersey, you know all about this local delicacy (known as "Taylor Ham" to north Jerseyites, and "Pork Roll" in South Jersey). This amazing good stuff (which is probably also really bad for you) is almost impossible to find outside of the New York to Philly area. For those of us who've moved away, discovering a local source for Taylor Ham has become a personal quest.

So, Taylor Ham fans, what do you say... fried or broiled?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I grew up in a Taylor Ham broiled household, but I must admit, I prefer it fried now. It cooks more evenly and makes less of a mess.

For expatriate Jerseyites living in Southern California, I will reveal my source. (For a price. ;))

t1937r0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Interesting. I just noticed something. One of the recipes my wife likes is for fried bologna. Looks similar, but its not the same thing at all. I suspect, however, by the fact that I like fried bologna, that I might like pork roll fried more than broiled too.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Yes! "Taylor HAM" is awesome! I grew up in NJ, and just moved to VA about 2 years ago, and the only store that has it is Harris Teeter. My Aunt, who has lived here for 12 years says they just recently started carrying it. So for any NJ natives living in the south, you might want to try to find a Harris Teeter, they may just have it. I can't say I've ever had it broiled, unless thats how most Diners make it, Im not sure. I just fry mine in a frying pan, until it is browned nicely. I assume it should accomplish the same thing as broiling. Also if your really desperate you can buy it online, but it's a bit pricey:

http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/

This thread is making me homesick. I HAVE to move back to NJ :(

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I grew up in a Taylor Ham broiled household, but I must admit, I prefer it fried now. It cooks more evenly and makes less of a mess.

For expatriate Jerseyites living in Southern California, I will reveal my source. (For a price. ;))

Ye gods. :eek:
I'm assuming you don't go to Bristol Farms or Whole Foods. :p
Maybe Lazy Acres carries it here in SB?
:D

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Ahh... The only way to eat a Taylor HAM is with egg and cheese on a nice roll. Mmmm.... preferably from a greese truck for like $2.

That's one thing I miss about college (NJIT) - therewas a greese truck on every corner and they all made awesome taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches (and other wonderful fat cat sandwiches). Mmmm.... I'm hungry now!

This thread is making me homesick. I HAVE to move back to NJ :(

No!!! Don't say such crazy things! You made it out of NJ- don't let it pull you back in!!!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ye gods. :eek:
I'm assuming you don't go to Bristol Farms or Whole Foods. :p
Maybe Lazy Acres carries it here in SB?
:D

Not AFAIK. I get mine at Huntington Meat & Sausage at the Farmer's Market in Los Angeles, when I'm in the city on business. Sometimes they have them frozen; otherwise it pays to bring a cold chest if you're going any distance. Years ago, the guy who runs the place told me about a former Jerseyite who literally broke into tears when he saw the Taylor Ham in the meat case.

For this, I expect somebody to tell me where I can buy real Kaiser rolls in Southern California!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Fried is the only way to go. If anyone wants me to ship some Taylor Ham out to you just let me know. It's so delicious!

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
No!!! Don't say such crazy things! You made it out of NJ- don't let it pull you back in!!!

ROTFLOL :D. Jersey isn't that bad :). I know its more expensive, but I'll figure out a way to deal with that. I know it sounds crazy, but I love NJ. LOL

For this, I expect somebody to tell me where I can buy real Kaiser rolls in Southern California!

Believe me I feel your pain! It's impossible to find a good Kaiser roll here either. We never had good bagels either, but thankfully a couple from the Bronyx moved down here (Why I don't know), and opened a REAL bagel shop!! Sure beats the "Bagels" they sell in the supermarket, which are basically bread in the shape of Bagels :). Back to the Kaiser rolls, if you like to bake, you could try this http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/kaiserrolls, I haven't tried it yet, because I can't find the malt powder.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Believe me I feel your pain! It's impossible to find a good Kaiser roll here either. We never had good bagels either, but thankfully a couple from the Bronyx moved down here (Why I don't know), and opened a REAL bagel shop!! Sure beats the "Bagels" they sell in the supermarket, which are basically bread in the shape of Bagels :). Back to the Kaiser rolls, if you like to bake, you could try this http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/kaiserrolls, I haven't tried it yet, because I can't find the malt powder.

Thanks for the recipe. I do some bread baking (I make a pretty mean challah). I'll give it a try sometime, if I can locate the malt. The bread around here is pretty uniformly awful compared to what I grew up with in north Jersey. What people hereabouts call bagels are really Wonder Bread with a hole in the middle. Gag!

The Bronyx. That made me laugh! Almost like Lon Giland, but not!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Thanks for the recipe. I do some bread baking (I make a pretty mean challah). I'll give it a try sometime, if I can locate the malt. The bread around here is pretty uniformly awful compared to what I grew up with in north Jersey. What people hereabouts call bagels are really Wonder Bread with a hole in the middle. Gag!

The Bronyx. That made me laugh! Almost like Lon Giland, but not!

Hi IJ Reilly,

I am curious: 1) What part of North Jersey did you grow up in? 2) Where do you live now?

I have always lived in North Jersey: I now live in Nutley, Essex County.

Before your thread I had no clue that Taylor Ham was a regional delight to NJ. In fact I bought some tonight after your thread.

Northern NJ is also well known for some good Fish & Chips, although nothing like the Brits and Scotts make.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Northern NJ is also well known for some good Fish & Chips, although nothing like the Brits and Scotts make.

And pizza. Don't forget pizza. (Forms the base of the North Jersey food pyramid.)

I grew up in Bergen County. I've lived on the West Coast for over thirty years now, but as they say, you can take the boy out of New Jersey, but you can't take New Jersey out of the boy. :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I'm originally from NJ, but had no idea Taylor Ham was a NJ thing. :confused:

Anyway it's good stuff...I haven't had it in forever.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm originally from NJ, but had no idea Taylor Ham was a NJ thing. :confused:

Made by Taylor Provisions Co., Trenton NJ.

From the sound of it, Florida is one of the few states where it's readily available outside New Jersey. I've always wondered why the company doesn't distribute the product nationally. I've never found anyone who doesn't like it. A few years ago, I introduced it to my spousal unit -- she grew up the Midwest and had never heard of the stuff.

inthebeginningb

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Pork Roll

Greetings Folks!

We lived in Central Jersey for over 40 years and we called it Pork Roll. All of our five children are die hards for this delectable meat as well. One of the info sites regarding the infamous breakfast delight says that Middletown, NJ was the dividing line for the names. We lived in Middletown for over 15 years. Pork Roll is the south Jersey term and Taylor Ham is the term in the north. We currently now reside in NW Alabama and thanks to our brief stay in Florida we found the "Taylor's" famous meat in the Publix supermarkets there. We are now able to get it regularly here at Publix in Decatur, AL.

Yes, it is a "Jersey thing" for sure. My son works in and out of NYC and more so in Manhattan and he once asked for a pork roll, egg and cheese and they laughed at him. The guy said "what is that man?" "We don't sell that!".

But oh is it good...

Elizabeth:)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Wow, my favorite thread rises from the ash-heap of MacRumors history. You must have been googling for pork roll or something. Serves to remind me that I haven't had any of this delectable stuff in over a year.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I was dating a girl for a few years from Tom's River, NJ. With me being from VA I had never even heard of such a thing. I had my first one on a corner at Seaside Beach. It was pretty good, but I'm sure if you include it in your diet regularly you may not live to see 40. Her mom was a big supporter and used to send us back to college with boxes of this stuff. My girlfriend made it good on the frying pan with some ketchup. I'm done with her, and I'm probably done with this stuff, because it doesn't taste the same made at home and I don't see myself ever being in NJ again...(save for the few trips to AC).

LuckyMeCupcakes

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
The IE
Taylor Pork Rolls In So.cal!!

After MUCH searching...
I found Taylor Pork Rolls (aka Taylor Ham) in Southern California,
at Wolfe's Marketplace in Claremont.
Visit the site at http://www.wolfesmarket.com or you can ask for Mike in the Meat Department at (909) 626-8508.
Wolfe's is located at 160 W. Foothill Blvd., Claremont, California
where the LA and San Bernardino county lines meet, just south of the 210.
You can order the 1 or 3 pound roll, and it will be waiting for you within days. Just call Mike and place your order!
I am picking up my 1# roll this Wednesday... a HUGE treat for my hubby!
A one-pound roll is less than 10 BUCKS!!
-Meredith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.