The Official which 8GB RAM is better for i5/i7 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

I narrowed my choice down to 4 brands

1) Kingston @ $275

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modu...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280903127&sr=8-2

2) Crucial @ $265

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KI...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280903127&sr=8-1

3) OWC @ 270

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

4) NuRam @ 227

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/8566DDR3S8GP/

Buying from OWC or NuRam, I can return my original 4GB of RAM to them for 50 bucks.

Now before anyone says to mroogle or anything.. I did.

It seems that there is a bad batch of NuRam out there causing flickering with the intel graphics card. OWC seems oc but nothing really about the crucial or kingston. With recent prices dropping I think its a good time to buy. Just need to know which one :)

thanks

2. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Crucial RAM is really good and has been my go to company for many years for all my PC and Mac RAM upgrades. That being said, I recently tried out GSkill RAM from NewEgg because they had a really good sale for 8GB DDR3 for my i7 MBP at 175 USD shipped. I bought it and tested it, and it has been working really well on my system. So I think if price is a concern, go for the GSkill. I can't justify spending an additional 75-100 dollars on Crucial's 8GB kit.

Another note, several users have reported issues with NuRAM on their mid-2010 MBPs, especially if using GFxstatus, so you may want to avoid NuRAM.

4. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Well I'll just say that I've never heard of NuRam. Kingston and Crucial are big players in memory, and Aboo pointed out GSkill. OWC also seems to be a fairly popular option but I'd go with the other three first...

5. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

:( the crucial ram just increased in price from 263 to 320 :(

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

7. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

8. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I threw a matched 8GB Kingston pair in mine last week, and it is running beautifully!

Just an FYI, the Kingston gear is great, dunno about others because I haven't tried them.

9. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

thanks Amazon just dropped the price of the kingston to 280(sold by amazon) and with my 10 coupon came out to be 270. I know there were cheaper options but i think kingston has the better reputation than the others. I just posted my 4GB stock ram on craigslist for 85 bucks so well see what happens with that

thanks!

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Yea, I am in AUS, so sadly, my Kingston cost me $420 AUD, and I am yet to sell my original 4GB Pair.

11. budman1961 macrumors regular

The NuRam is resold by OWC, and they are fantastic! I've had the 8gig upgrade for 3 months, and not one problem!:)

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The best RAM is the cheapest. Seriously, they are all the same. DDR3 1066Mhz, CL7, 1.5V. As long as they meet those basic specs, it is fine.

Right here for $199.

/End thread

13. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Cheap if it works. Compatibility with unibody machines is notoriously bad bad bad. Only buy from someone who guarantees compatibility and offers a no hassle return policy. You don't want to be stuck with a couple of lame sticks. I had tons of trouble with many major brands: Crucial, Kingston, etc who claimed 100% compatibility with the first unibody machines and they obviously hadn't even tested the stuff. So read the forums on newegg elsewhere and proceed with extreme caution or get burned. Even Apple was selling bad modules when the unibody first came out! Of course it wasn't cheap either. I have a couple of sticks of Mushkin on a 13 inch that have been awesome, but now I'm reading the i7 doesn't work with their ram. I emailed them to find out what the deal is. They have very good support.

14. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Well my macbook (non pro) works very well with corsair ram but the store sold me 1333Mhz ram instead of 1066, while it worked it heated up a little more so I edited the spd to make the ram 1066 and it works just fine got it for 195eur:D

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

So corsair ram works good too? :D

I was thinking about this one, but the 1066Mhz version. Read that other people also have succesfully installed it and it's working. Very cheap too for 8 gb :)

16. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

I second the vote for this ram. Installed these in my 2010 15" mbp and they work flawlessly. Didn't think adding an extra 4gb of ram would make much of a difference, but the speed difference is significant.