Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Does anybody else think that the old top end iMac was simply a better computer than the new top end iMac ... for the money you are paying.

In the UK the new top end model is £1800 whereas the previous model was £1359.

The difference ?

erm..... you get a GT130 graphics card which is about the same as a 9600M graphics card which is very similar to the 8800GS card in the old model.

Something is seriously wrong here. All that waiting and this is all that has changed ???? Maybe the HD is also bigger... which is irrelevant to me anyway.

There is no way I can justify spending £1800 on a computer which is practically identical to the £1359 model for sale yesterday.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Does anybody else think that the old top end iMac was simply a better computer than the new top end iMac ... for the money you are paying.

In the UK the new top end model is £1800 whereas the previous model was £1359.

The difference ?

erm..... you get a GT130 graphics card which is about the same as a 9600M graphics card which is very similar to the 8800GS card in the old model.

Something is seriously wrong here. All that waiting and this is all that has changed ???? Maybe the HD is also bigger... which is irrelevant to me anyway.

There is no way I can justify spending £1800 on a computer which is practically identical to the £1359 model for sale yesterday.

+1

The older top end iMac is definitely better value for money. The same processor, 2GB less of RAM (doesn't really matter, cheap to upgrade yourself) and a better video card than the GT130, all for $700 LESS.

Not good enough Apple.

hakr

macrumors regular
I bought a new iMac 3.06 about six weeks ago, doubled the RAM to four gigs...and after today's announcements, I'm glad I didn't wait.

I dunno the difference between the top end video card I got with the one I bought and what came out today, though.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I bought a new iMac 3.06 about six weeks ago, doubled the RAM to four gigs...and after today's announcements, I'm glad I didn't wait.

I dunno the difference between the top end video card I got with the one I bought and what came out today, though.

Well, Games like GTA 4 will not benefit much because it still only has 2 cores.

Lousy update.

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Well, Games like GTA 4 will not benefit much because it still only has 2 cores.

Lousy update.

If you are playing games and you are buying the new iMac, you owe it to yourself to upgrade to the Radeon 4850 (it's actually the Mobility version). It will outclass anything the iMac has had before and is a BIG upgrade from the GT 130. It's only 50USD more...

Games benefit more from GPU updates, not from CPU upgrades.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
I just found an old 3.06Ghz machine for £1413 inc vat. They will add another 2GB to it for £39. Still in stock.

All in, thats still cheaper than a 'NEW' iMac costing £1499 which has a worse HD, a worse Graphics Card, and a worse CPU at 2.93Ghz. Its also a much much better buy than the top end model at £1800 !

Apple.... what have you done ????

You release new computers and people scramble to try and buy an old one which hasnt been updated in months and months ?

I will sleep on it, but I feel a pain in my stomach when I think about spending this kind of money on a machine which is 'old - hat' by some measures, yet better than the new machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.