The One and ONLY best guess release of a 3G iPHONE thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by llarson, Feb 5, 2008.

1. llarson macrumors member

I know almost every thread on the new 16 gig iPHONE has something on when the 3g iPHONE might come out but I was hoping to collect the combined wisdom and speculations of the forum in one thread.

So when will we see a 3G iPHONE?

2. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Yeah, let's see the iPhone Nano. 2/3 the size of the iPhone.

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I think the iphone is perfect the way it is. Making it a bit smaller might make the screen too small...

4. jbellanca macrumors 6502

I originally thought the end of June... now with the 16GB release... I'm thinking Thanksgiving.

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

September.

Also the release of the iPhone Shuffle.

6. azngamer808 macrumors member

how much more are the 3g data plans going to cost than the current plans?

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Err, nothing?

8. azngamer808 macrumors member

seriously? cool!

9. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I would be very surprised if it costs any more for 3G data than it does now for the EDGE data. :)

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

September 18th. 3G will come with a drop of the 8GB version, to leave only 16GB at the current 8GB price. People won't be happy due to a lack of GPS.

11. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

The lack of a built in 100Gw laser will also be lamented by many...

12. rayward macrumors 65816

Is it too much to ask to get a frikkin' iPhone with a frikkin' laser beam attached to its head?!!!!

13. emccus01 macrumors member

Beginning of July. If new chip is released end of first quarter it is possible they will coincide with the new phone and 3g. That chip is going to be in the new version of the phone since it will reduce the power consumption.

14. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Its so obvious its going to he over a year till 3g when the earlynadaopterS contracts run out.

Its not just coincidence that the uk contracts were 18 months and wouldnend when the yanks ended..

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

6 months after it is submitted to the FCC for approval. Simple as that
    case closed. Why do people keep creating these threads. There will be no
    surprise 3G iPhone.

16. llarson thread starter macrumors member

See this is the kind of self absorbed poster we love. Good information with a hint of disdain.

So I guess SKUBISH says wait for the FCC report and then 6 months.

Thanks!

17. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Alright... lets see

date is pretty ok guess I think, but for the lack of GPS isn't something I'd dislike; more a multipoint bluetooth chip; this way I can use a handsfree set and a external GPS antenna
    I agree on the "stop the useless nobody-knows-more-than-me-but-lets-post-a-new-thread-anyway thread making", but 6 months FCC approval is big time bullcrap. Maybe for the first iPhone this was a funny piece of marketing, but it is absolutely not true this has to be done 6 months before release, nor that it is that public, moreover its done anonymous. 2 to 3 weeks is more ok.

E.g. the whole docking station for your laptop in your iMac-patent thing/approval thing was discovered only 1/2 months ago, while first posted/put up by Apple in 2005

18. elcid macrumors 6502

FCC approval can take less then 6 months. They will announce when it is coming out then they will give it to the FCC.

Simple as that. Continue guessing when they will announce it. But with SDK getting people to hop on board it will be at least WWDC.

19. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

If you read the post on MacRumor's home page you will see that AT&T has confirmed a 3G iPhone in 2008. Therefore it is 9 months and 23 days or less.

20. jontucker macrumors 6502

SHOCK - THE VERY LATEST NEWS ON 3G IPHONE RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!!

An independant spokesperson confirmed today that NONE OF YOU IDIOTS KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE SO THERE IS NO POINT IN GUESSING!

21. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

If you don't like the thread, don't read or post in it. IDIOT.

22. jontucker macrumors 6502

Forgive me for lashing out that way, it won't happen again.

I'd like to add that I think a 3g version of the iPhone will be realeased in August. Followed by a 32gb upgrade in October and then the iPhone version 2 wth 3g, GPS, 64gb and a forum-scum-gun in Q1 2009. I honestly believe this.

23. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

It doesn't matter about the contracts considering all of us have two year contracts, not one, & you don't have to be eligible to purchase an iPhone anyway... Which is why the iPhone is not subsidized.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

September, when the iPod's are updated, it'll be 3G and available in 16 and 32 GB models, with possibly an ultra high end 64 GB model. They might keep the 8 GB model for $50 less, but I doubt it. It'll also probably have a better camera, and possibly one behind the screen facing forwards, it might also have GPS.

The only reason it might be released before September is for Japan, or to pick up flagging sales in Europe. In which case a 3G model might come in June.

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It could take longer as well. I watched as a manufacturer brought a transmitter to market and at the same time was advertising a lower powered version. It was the basically the same VHF/UHF RF deck, but a different output power.

The high power unit came out first and the low power version as almost 5 months after, even though the FCC had the application months before.

When Apple submits a 3G phone it will be looked at as an entirely new device, not just an upgrade to a current design.

For me the 3G phone offers nothing, I won't see coverage in my area because I live in such a nice, not congested place.