The one thing Neil Gorsuch and I can agree on.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Feb 8, 2017.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

2. MaulRx Suspended

Nomination revoked! Trump can simply wait until His Honor is at home than order a travel ban in and out of that state. Problem solved.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I wonder if President Snowflake will actually revoke the nomination.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

He can do whatever he wants. He's the dictator. Err, president.

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

It'd seem really silly if Trump didn't revoke the nomination due to Gorsuch's comments, after Trump went out of his way to fire Yates (who was already going to lose her job in just a few days) for her actions against the very same EO.

I guess it depends on how much groveling Gorsuch does before Trump to maintain his nomination. Trump does seem to be willing to overlook any and all past grievances, so long as the penitent before him shows the proper respect to his highness.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Trump will not revoke his nomination. You guys really are reaching...

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Now, people, see, I don't often agree with the gentleman I've quoted. Quite frankly, he gets right up my nose. However, he is correct with his assertion. If Trump does anything, it'll look very bad for the administration. There's some saying he's kissing up to avoid a filibuster from the Dems, but no, this is a man respecting the court system he's worked most of his adult life in.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

nope. prolly okay with it as it goes a long way at showing he's not a patsy to the POTUS. besides, he's going to get confirmed eventually and still sits to the right side of things which is what the SCOTUS needs.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're probably right, but it's also probably because Trump doesn't understand how things work and think he can fire him if he rules against Trump.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

According to two other forums, this whole story is fake news and has already been denied by Gorsuch. I can't post links from those here, but if I find one off those forums I will.

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

According to the Washington Post,

"Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said Gorsuch made the comments during their private meeting Wednesday, and the account was confirmed by Ron Bonjean, a member of the group guiding the judge through his confirmation process."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.d90c21627901

So, this isn't some "unnamed sources" thing. (NPR also says they got confirmation from "a member of the Supreme Court nomination team".) And Gorsuch himself doesn't seem to have yet publicly confirmed or denied the remarks, so far as I can tell.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And in trying to evaluate if it is true or not it might be good to think about what a Democratic senator has to gain by making it up? Getting it out there that Gorsuch is willing to stand up to Trump increases his chance at being confirmed while it is in the best interests of the Democrats to delay the conformation as long as possible and ideal either have the Republican's be the one's to change the rules to get rid of the filibuster and make things easier for future Democratic presidents to get their nominees through or to have Trump back down and go with a moderate.

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Wait...a democratic senator may have made it up? Is that like a congresswoman or two blaming Bush and being worried about Putin attaching Korea? People are living in some kind of fantasyland these days.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt it since he would have nothing to gain, but the named source was a democratic senator, so if it was made up that is who made it up. Personally I don't think that he made it up.

15. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

Did the portal to la la land close up?

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Meh. Politician = liar.

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I think the more interesting source is Ron Bonjean, the member of the group guiding Gorsuch through the confirmation process. One would assume that for a Republican nominee, a Republican-oriented group would be helping Gorsuch; and so, should be less likely to try and come up with a spin on Gorsuch's words to show unfavorability towards the President.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I hadn't seen his name listed as a source, by yes he would also not have much to gain by confirming the story.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Whether Gorsuch actually used those words is, in the big scheme of things, irrelevant. The indications are that he did: We have a credible source and a confirmation, published in a reputable newspaper. And frankly, it strikes me as highly plausible that a Judge would view, with alarm, a newly elected President lashing out at a fellow Federal Judge; and the Appeals Court itself; being attacked by a newly installed President. Even the same guy that just nominated him.

Trump is going to fail in the courts because courts and judges don't work the same way voters do. Judges are generally speaking very protective of their independence and non-partisan status. They are not swayed by emotions, and tend to be unimpressed by witnesses who lie, and have a history of lying and exaggerating.

Trump is losing in court on the immigration ban because of his public statements during the campaign, and in the time since the election and his swearing in. He promised a "total shutdown of Muslim immigration". For him to pretend that he didn't say these things - as the Justice Department lawyer suggested to the Appeals Court isn't going to impress the Judges. When the Justices asked for evidence of crimes committed by refugees from the seven targeted countries, the Government could not provide any. Judges are not going to be impressed by a lack of evidence.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is a new era. Could you ever have imagined that anyone would say something like that about the president who just nominated them for the Supreme Court?

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I saw this article earlier, and it makes me pleased to know that even though Gorsuch and I probably agree on almost nothing, he seems to understand that the judiciary branch is non-partisan and is not meant to be.

22. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

It's all theater. G said what he needed to say at the moment he needed to say it. If the so called President wasn't already on board, he will be. The statement gives G the appearance of some semblance of impartiality--easing his approval.

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

More theater! Trump has now put out a tweet on the matter:

"Sen.Richard Blumenthal, who never fought in Vietnam when he said for years he had (major lie),now misrepresents what Judge Gorsuch told him?"

So, in other words, Gorsuch has said nothing yet publicly, and Trump is not going to say what Gorsuch said either (other than it was a "misrepresentation", not a lie), but Trump is going to impugn the character of Senator Richard Blumenthal (and on the question of service in Vietnam, no less!). According to the WaPo, this is a valid line of attack; Gorsuch was apparently in the Marine Reserves during the Vietnam War, but did not go to Vietnam; yet, he has commented from time to time over the years that he had fought there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.afc61f37bb7d

Gotta wonder, though, just how Trump of all people can use the Vietnam War as a line of attack. This guy apparently believes he is made of teflon. Maybe he is. :(

I don't know why Trump hasn't also gone after Ron Bonjean yet...

24. zin, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

zin macrumors 6502

They shouldn't even be asking that question. It is not the job of the judges to question the judgement of the President when it comes to national security. Their job is only to determine whether or not the actions he took because of this judgement were lawful (the executive order).

25. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This is correct.

Legislation from the bench is not their charter.

The executive branch enforces the law. A challenge to the constitutionality of a law is put to the judicial branch. They judge based on the legality of the written order, nothing more.