The Ongoing Bittorrent Client Thread...(Azureus, Transmission, µTorrent, oh my!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heatmiser, Dec 25, 2007.

?

What is your primary client?

1. uTorrent

69 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Azureus

111 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. BitRocket

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  4. BitTorrent

5 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. BitTyrant

3 vote(s)
    0.7%
  6. Tomato Torrent

7 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Transmission

234 vote(s)
    52.7%
  8. Other...

14 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've read through the last six or seven threads on BT clients in OS X, and figured I'd make a collective one to chat about clients and such. So without further ado, which client do you use? Which have you tried? Which are you looking forward to?

I currently use a combination of Transmission and BitRocket. Bitrocket is the most visually attractive (and µTorrent-like) client I've seen, but its critical flaw is the lack of selective downloading. This is why I kept Transmission. If I'm downloading something where I don't need file selection, I get it in BR. If I need to cherry-pick, I use Transmission. Once a dl is done, I delete it from Transmission (due to the poor space management), and seed it in BR (which has a traditional horizontal line spacing for torrents).

I have no idea why the developers of Transmission haven't seen fit to rearrange the GUI. If they did that, it would become a far more viable client, and alternative to Azureus. There's simply no way a vertical client can handle more than a dozen torrents at a time. I can't imagine it's that difficult to code. BR, in the meantime, doesn't even seem to be developed anymore.

Despite the bother of using two clients, I just can't use Azureus. Can't stand to look at it, and can't stand to configure it. I also tried BitTyrant, which was just a relabeled Azureus, BitTorrent, which was hopeless, Tomato Torrent, which was sort of a joke, and a few Unix clients which wanted me to compile them (not bloody likely). So I went back to BR and Transmission.

Anyway, that's my story. Nothing comes close to µTorrent, but I'm trying to keep an open mind...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This really isn't necessary, as you said there are tons of other threads on this...

3. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

I know that, but instead of starting yet another "Transmission or Azureus" thread, I figured it would be more useful to start a discussion covering *all* clients for OS X as we head into '08, to get a better sense of what we're all using, and why. No use bumping a thread from six months ago, especially with the rate clients change. Heck, six months ago, people still thought there was a snowball's chance of a µTorrent client for OS X...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Shall we start taking bets on how long it takes a newbie to make a new torrent client thread?

You changed your thread title too...

5. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I added the part in parentheses. Does that really change the thread's focus?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you really want uTorrent...

Attached Files:

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You tease! :D

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I use Transmission simply because it is light, functional and pretty sexy. I prefer Transmission's GUI to any other client out there.

We are on Mac's, not Windows. Transmission adopts a classic Mac GUI while the likes of uTorrent has an ugly Windows GUI that is over clustered.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Another vote for Transmission. It's been a bit finicky lately, but it's definitely the most Mac-like torrent client out there. I'm hoping the actual downloading functionality evens out soon.

10. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Sure is ugly, cant say I'd ever want something that messed up in my Applications folder (or Crossover/Windows)

11. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i just can'[t seem to get the same speeds i get on azureus with transmission. anyway to tinker with it to get close to the same speeds?

12. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

You know how in µTorrent or BitRocket, you can click on a torrent in the upper window and see details about it in the lower window? There doesn't seem to be a way to do this in Azureus. Instead, the upper window shows downloading torrents, and the lower window shows seeded torrents. Can this be changed? As it stands, you have to double click on a torrent to open a *new* tab, from where you can meddle with the individual files (increase priorities, etc).

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

heatmiser, would you like me to add a poll to this thread to cut all the potential "I use this" and "me too" posts?

14. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Another vote for Transmission. Best so far among Mac clients.

15. heatmiser thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, that would be great, thanks!

16. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Transmission or Azureus, but Azureus has all the "Vuze" crap on it, so would suggest Transmission.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think we should both be able to add more options as they appear.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Azu....has been since Day 1

Works fine and is quick for me

19. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Over cluttered maybe, but at least they have features that are available if/when you need them. Azureus takes the cake for me; just remember to click on Advanced to see a less cluttered, but more option friendly version.

20. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Then use Azureus for mac, because it even has stuff that nobody wants!!!;)

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, that is one of the major drawbacks to Azureus. It's UI just doesn't compare to the likes of Transmission.

I find it hard to give up the advanced features of Azureus, but as Transmission has been improving I'm finally starting to see it as a viable option (I wouldn't consider it before they added selective file downloading). I'm still concerned with stability, reliability (data loss), and hearing how it's been banned on numerous trackers (I dunno if those issues have been resolved). But it sure does have a functional, Mac-like interface which is a very attractive "feature".

22. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

selective file downloading, they have! it is one of the tabs in the inspector

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What advanced features in Azureus do most people use?

I don't use it for much more then DHT. Then again I do have Azureus set to Advanced mode and have the settings customized.

24. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Vuze. If they would remove it, i would be fine, but maybe I am a little too harsh

25. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I can only assume that people who votes for Azureus haven't used Transmission...