The only port I'll miss … SD Card.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yr Blues, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I can do without MagSafe since they were always poorly constructed and expensive to replace. I think they should make a next generation MagSafe that's not hardwired to the brick.

[​IMG]

2. cube macrumors G5

I don't care about having an SD slot. What I do care is that they removed the ExpressCard slot for that.

3. jerryk macrumors 68030

It never was enough for me since my cameras uses CF and SD cards. So I needed to carry a card reader.

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I too use my SD card slot al to because of my camera. Truly unfortunate that it had to be removed and I wonder if it was necessary for the space and weight savings.

5. enthawizeguy macrumors 6502

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Yes, I will miss that SD card slot as well, since I had the MiniDisk adapter plugged in there with a backup drive that added 128 GB of storage to the flash disk. Was kinda neat, especially since I could store all my applications there whenever performing a clean installation of macOS.

7. Mildredop macrumors 68020

The SD slot on Macs was badly designed from day one. The card sticking out meant you couldn't leave it in the Mac.

8. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I some older mac pros with express slot.

There is an SD card reader adaptor, a USB 3.0 card (that sits flush with body of mac) and even an SSD that uses the slot.

much more useful than just the SD.

I feel the express slot made them a pro as have upgrade options the non pro did not have.

9. fpenta macrumors member

I won't miss it too much since my Nikon D810 has one CF slot and one SD slot so I always need to use an adapter for the CF cards.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I used mine a lot to transfer photos, but plan to buy this for my new MacBook Pro. Looks pretty easy to use.

71r9PVfEuRL._SL1500_.jpg

11. jerryk macrumors 68030

Same for my Canon 5D MK3.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

I'm not sure if I'll miss it. Some devices that use SD cards have a slot that makes it hard to take the card out. For those it's just easier to get a cable. On the other hand, using a cable means depleting the battery in the camera. Luckily there are other options available too.

13. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I like that the charger uses standard USB c cables, cheaper to replace a USB C cable if it gets damaged rather than the whole charger.

14. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I'm in your boat as well. USB C is all good and fine, but the SD card slot is something that really bothers me. It always came in handy exactly in the type of situation when you would've forgotten the dongle/ card reader, whatever.

15. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

16. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

Expresscard enthusiast here. I've had 3 setup just for Expresscard.