The only reason to have SHSHs saved is so you can downgrade, right?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CJayC, Jul 23, 2010.

1. CJayC macrumors 6502

Just got my replacement iPhone 4 on 4.0 and obviously I can't back up the SHSH anymore. This means I won't be able to downgrade, right? Are there any other downfalls to not saving my SHSH? I'm not 100% comfortable with upgrading to 4.0.1 just yet.

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes. You might as well and wait on updating to 4.0.1. While it shouldn't be a problem, better safe then sorry.

3. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the reason I can't use SHSHs from my old iPhone 4? I know you can't, I just want to know why.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those shshs are unique to each iPhones serial. It would be nice if ne set of blobs could be used with every iPhone out there.
    U need them to downgrade or restore.

5. douflag macrumors member

Well, you don't need them to restore. You do need them if you want to restore to a specific FW version. The latest iOS doesn't require the blobs.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if your on 4.0 for example and want to restore to the same firmware but 4.0.1 is already out you won't be able to without those blobs.

7. charuzzi macrumors newbie

anway, you should keep you shsh file now with umbrella in case that in the future you accidentially upgrade to the firmware that lack of jailbreak and unlock methods.

8. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Make sure to get your SHSH for 4.0.1 now. 4.1 will be out by september and will almost definitely fix the jailbreak exploit and has a new baseband. Also there's no harm in updating to 4.0.1, its the same as 4.0 really apart from the signal strength indicator

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Unless your effected by the exchange bug which is really damn annoying.

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

That too

11. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

What the hell, so if something happens, I can't restore back to 4.0?

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You can never put 4.0 back on the phone, yes. No downgrading to it or restoring back to it. If you had to restore it right now you would have to put 4.0.1 on it.

13. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, are you sure? I remember I had my iPhone 3G jailbroken on 3.0 for the LONGEST time. 3.0.1, 3.1, 3.1.2 were all out and I was still on 3.0 after many restores (because JBen phones aren't too stable)

14. jason221 macrumors 6502

Only 3GS used the blobs in the 3.x days.

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The 3g don't (until recently kinda) verify installs. itunes doesn't 'ask' :apple: if it's alright to install X firmware. And all my JBen phones have been perfectly stable.

16. understando macrumors member

Ok, so I'm new to iPhone (just got a 4) and kinda confused here. I have been sitting around reading lots of forum stuff trying to understand this jailbreak stuff. Anyway, my confusion:

I read somewhere that it was ok to go ahead and update to 4.01 and in fact that I should as I missed the time to save my shsh blogs or whatever for 4.0 but there was still an opportunity to do this with umbrella in 4.01. So last night I updated, then saved the shsh's. So... I Think I'm ok for the jailbreak for the 4 whenever it's done. Lol, I guess if I'm not there isn't much I can do at this point.

So, really, it's probably painfully obvious to anyone who understands this stuff that I don't have much of a clue about this. So if anyone could point me to a good resource to read up and maybe understand more so I don't bother the forums with unnecessary questions that would be awesome.

Thanks for all I've already learned just from reading you all posts!

17. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

well what would you like to learn? seems like youre doing just fine so far. you have your blobs saved...that's good. now just wait patiently for the jailbreak to be released and as soon as it is, the forums will be crawling with new threads. you WONT be able to miss it, i assure you.