The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with mace

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Jun 6, 2014.

1. freeny, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014

freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Laid that awedul NRA myth to rest :)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/us/seattle-hero-profile/index.html?c=homepage-t

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Next time you are face to face with a shooter; and we're in the USA so it should be any day now :rolleyes: ; let's see you neutralize him with a can of mace.

I'm sure you'd rather that than a gun to defend yourself.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, in this situation, it seemed to work. And during a reload to boot.

As I said in the other thread, there are some who would prefer carrying pepper spray to a gun. And what we have here is a bright, shiny example of why.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Not really, I'd probably miss. Much harder to miss with mace, and it will instantly incapacitate the shooter.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why would you use a sarcastic emote and claim it could be "any day now " to defend your stance on gun ownership ?

Are you indirectly acknowledging gun ownership contributes to an increase in violence ?

6. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I'd say if you ever found yourself face to face with a person with a gun, odds are it's probably too late.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's great. I'm always glad to hear good people stop bad people from doing bad things. I don't care if a gun or chop sticks are used.

However...About those guns stopping people...

– Winnemucca, Nev., 2008: Ernesto Villagomez opens fire in a crowded restaurant; concealed carry permit-holder shoots him dead. Total dead: Two. (I’m excluding the shooters’ deaths in these examples.)

– Appalachian School of Law, 2002: Crazed immigrant shoots the dean and a professor, then begins shooting students; as he goes for more ammunition, two armed students point their guns at him, allowing a third to tackle him. Total dead: Three.

– Santee, Calif., 2001: Student begins shooting his classmates — as well as the “trained campus supervisor”; an off-duty cop who happened to be bringing his daughter to school that day points his gun at the shooter, holding him until more police arrive. Total dead: Two.

– Pearl High School, Mississippi, 1997: After shooting several people at his high school, student heads for the junior high school; assistant principal Joel Myrick retrieves a .45 pistol from his car and points it at the gunman’s head, ending the murder spree. Total dead: Two.

– Edinboro, Pa., 1998: A student shoots up a junior high school dance being held at a restaurant; restaurant owner pulls out his shotgun and stops the gunman. Total dead: One.

8. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Yes, not to mention all the gunmen brought down by armed police, but thats not the point of the thread :)

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Or all the police that brought down armed gunmen, on and off duty.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think the point of this thread is the NRA stance that "ONLY a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun" is wrong.

This was disproven yesterday.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no it does not, depends a lot on the training, we are exposed to pepper spray during boot camp, you are not "incapacitated" by it, you simply need to learn how to adapt to it.

----------

I can agree with that, a gun/tank/rocket propelled grenade/knife/pepper spray are all worthless if you are not willing to engage. all you need is the will to stand up to someone.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

^^THIS.

In otherwords.

The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a person with the gonads to do it.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Too simplistic on both sides, but I'd rather be on the side of gun in my hand than cowering in the corner waiting to be shot to death by some suburban white kid that can't get a girlfriend.

In American, thankfully you have the choice.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well it may be simplistic to you but it is a FACT to others.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this is what support the most, having a choice. everyone gets to carry/protect themselves as they see fit.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Exactly, and this is the telling lack that those who believe that people want their 2nd Amendments rights completely taken away are missing.

Carrying mace or similar like this invokes the same 2A right as carrying a gun. Yes, I am saying that carrying mace is bearing arms. Hell, it took a pebble/stone to take down Goliath.

BL.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not true.

You have to operate under the law ... not how as anybody "sees fit".

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

as they see fit meant whatever LEGALLY allowed.

when it comes to carrying weapons in general, people SHOULD familiarize themselves with the laws of their state. one might have the right to carry, but they should also respect a business owners request to leave the premises or don't go in if they posted a sign that prohibits the concealed or open carry of weapons.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In the military, every year I went into something called the Gas Chamber and removed the mask. We did this so that we knew our equipment worked but I also saw hardened drill sergeants who were able to stand in that room for long periods of time and still function because they had built a tolerance to it.

I've seen LEO spray large capacity cans of spray on individuals and still have difficulty incapacitating them. Your mace, pepper spray and tear gas are effective tools sometimes. Always remember that a semi-automatic weapon does not have to be empty to change the clip or magazine and everyone sprayed may not go down.

20. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I agree 100% with you. When it comes to the 2nd though, too much political threat of control/ban on firearms is what pisses off millions of responsible gun owners. If someone wants to use mace, knifes, hammers, baseball bats and so on for protection, I say more power to them. For me, I choose a Glock 19.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If attacked, it's understandable that someone would use whatever is at their disposal to ward off their attacker.

However, my goal is to reduce the number of lethal weapons in public, whether guns, clubs, blades, or bombs.

I think that mace, stun guns and other non-lethal defensive measures should suffice in a civilized society.

It would seem to me a worthy goal to attain.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you first need a civilized society for that to work.
    http://abc7news.com/news/people-attacked-at-random-in-wilding-incidents-in-san-leandro/92501/
    makes little difference if you are minding your own business.

23. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Good story but it is not a very common occurrence. Only shows a bad guy can be stopped by a good guy with a weapon. Either the bad guy gets away or he is stopped with force, the weapon of choice is irrelevant.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Relative to the NRA's statement regarding bad guys with guns vs. good guys with guns, the weapon of choice is indeed relevant.

BL.

25. citizenzen, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Criminals will always be the last to change.

We can't let that stop our progress.