The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KuhlTime, Apr 9, 2016.

1. KuhlTime macrumors newbie

KuhlTime

Hi there,
    i have troubles replacing two stock OS X images with some i downloaded. When draging both images to the folder a (Blocked) Sign appears near the cursor. I have seen that i need to open up the Information panel and change the permission of 'everyone' to 'read & write'. But then this sheet pops up:
    MacBookAir.png
    ...anybody knows how i can get those images replaced with my downloaded ones?

I have even tried replacing them with the sudo cmd in the Terminal.

Thanks ;)

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Sounds like it could be System Integrity Protection? Make sure it's disabled before you mess around with system files.

To disable it, restart in recovery mode (hold ⌘+R), open Terminal, and use this command:
    Code:
    csrutil disable
    (Be sure to re-enable it when you're done)

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It is a bad idea to go monkeying around with permissions if you do not understand *NIX file systems; it is very easy to wind up with a system that will not boot.

4. bols59 macrumors newbie

bols59

Two thumbs up. Now, instead of monkeying around with permissions, what steps are there to take? I'm presently working on a file that tells me I don't have permissions.