"The opposite of poverty is justice" -- Bryan Stevenson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I just heard this this interview on Fresh Air:

(as a point of reference, this was in the 1986-1993 time frame)

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/20/356964925/one-lawyers-fight-for-young-blacks-and-just-mercy

I thought this was a really interesting, wide-ranging interview.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

FROM POST
    perhaps there is a reason for SOME of it
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/08/teens-attack-man-kroger-memphis_n_5785164.html

what are teens doing? beating up people, just for FUN.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

4. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

there is a reason why SOME end up in jail, large numbers of morons out beating people just for fun is one of them.

teens & assorted morons having "fun"
    http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/search.php?s=fight

knocking people out is just a "game".

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seriously. You REALLY think there is a significant population of teenagers just beating the **** out of people for fun to the point where it is a signifier of how the overall teen population in the country behave?

*awaits posts of "knockout game" clickbait news stories*

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

keywords being "significant" & "overall". how many would qualify as "significant" to you? I would say there was a "significant" number at the Kroger attack; as for "overall"? no, of course not, already posted the pertinent links, you are free to overlook them as you wish.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Thing is, this "knockout game" does not appear to be a pervasive feature of the national urban landscape, it seems to be something more like a three-off, as it were. It is just not an issue, so the bigger a deal you try to make of it, the more your cred gets eroded by the outgoing tide of meh.

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

teens are engaging in plenty of stupidity
    http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/how-to-stop-teens/51104efc02a760337800080f

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/28/us/new-york-mall-mob/

black/brown/poor are still treated like criminals by police for seemingly no reason, but plenty of morons who obviously DESERVE to be behind bars does not make things easy for the rest who do not engage in that stupidity.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

People can say whatever the hell want, but you'll learn a lot about the mess that is happening in the black community by hitting up www.worldstarhiphop.com

Consume that for a couple of hours and then get back to me.

For every 1 instance of true black injustice there is probably 100 instances of a black person digging their own hole.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I beg to differ, plenty if morons in different colors on that site.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Riighhttt. And Idaho is a diverse state.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Typical America, blame it on the nearest black guy... We are nowhere near the glass ceiling Rosa Parkes tried to crash through. I don't know how you can live in a country with that many ongoing social issues against people purely because of the colour of their skin.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hey now, it's not just race, we also don't give a **** (policy wise) about anyone making less than $100,000. Don't be so discriminatory.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Some people are smart enough to understand there is a difference between profiling, social inequality, police brutality, and the effects of white privilege compared to having out of wedlock kids to thugs, drug dealing, knock out games and an overall cultural acumen that favors being a victim of their own circumstance and criminality.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm still trying to figure out where "The opposite of poverty is justice" came from.

16. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

can you please elaborate? what policy are you talking about?

17. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Yes, and skin colour should never make any of that an issue... I am a person who is completely skin colour ambivalent having no strong feelings what so ever about the issue and I don't understand how this is so difficult to understand, or accept.

I don't like in Arkansas though, so I can't think about how you people deal with the issue.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you serious? Do you really want me to cite every law that gives more power and wealth to the already wealthy, to cite every example of corporate rule?

We're going to be here a while.

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

your post was rather vague, kind of a catch all, I was just wondering if you had specific a policy in mind.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan